How important is accuracy?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

TimMeese
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by TimMeese »

Nice looking rocks Richard - very convincing in all respects, particularly wrt colour and boulder size as you comment.

Atso - I also like the view that 'if it looks then it is right' (and I agree that does take time). The corollary to this is that if it looks wrong then it is wrong! But that's a funny one - I find great pleasure in observing things in the real world that I know just woudln't look right if modelled literally - very steep inclines, tilted chimneys and 'unrealistic' (!) weathering are amongst my favourites. (Actually, the Pendon guys can probably do a good job on tilted chimneys - I feel sure they have one or two - but I don't have the odd decade to spare!). I take the view that modelling is like painting in 3D and one is looking for good composition as much as everything else, in which case the layout, including weathering, should be balanced. But some might not agree...

Best.
Last edited by TimMeese on Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Speaking of twisted chimneys, no one would believe Chesterfield spire if it was only a model!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
TimMeese
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by TimMeese »

Turns out that if you’re modelling the modern scene in Lincolnshire you should put your tilted chimneys in the back yards now. We had an earthquake last night (Richter 5.2), which I felt over here in Shrewsbury (Shropshire) at 1.00am. I hope nobody or their models got hurt.
Tim
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

I felt the dying tremors up here in Yorkshire. Scared the s### outta me!!
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

I slept right through it! XD but most of my mates felt it, and we live on the Wirral! The epicentre was near Grimsby!
The user formerly known as Bass.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Another one I've missed - I have yet to experience one.

I even did a thesis for my Geophysics MSc with the US Geological Survey in the San Francisco Bay Area working on, you guessed it, earthquakes!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
TimMeese
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by TimMeese »

That's the third one I've experienced now - all in Britain. And every time, the same strange fleeting feeling. Although the origins are, shall we say, very natural, the experience is almost supernatural. I guess its because the huge forces involved are so out of kilter with anything else we experinece on a regular basis, and we just get a bit spooked...
Tim
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

An almighty crash, and then my bed was shaking, and when you wake up to this, you wonder what the hell is happening!

All my wheels stayed on the track, but they slightest touch with my hand and being N, half of the wagons come off!
By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam
(I was here first, with the space!)