GCR locos converted from other kits

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: GCR locos converted from other kits

Post by Hatfield Shed »

It has potential for several of the Robinson classes with a boiler barrel in the 5' to 5'6" range. When the GBL series was issuing cheap knock offs of RTR models, one of which was to be derived from the Bachmann D11, I spent some time looking at the Robinson classes with this thought. Decided against in the end as none of the 'possibles' survived in service to 1955 which is the beginning of my modelling 'window': and really what I needed - then and now - was to focus effort on expanding the 0-6-0 and 0-6-0T group, mainly with GN and GE designs.
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

Hatfield Shed wrote:
James Harrison wrote:D**n you for starting me thinking about another GC 4-6-0! (Though I suspect in my case it will be a B6). Hornby N2 chassis, with the pony truck removed and the motor switched out for one over the drivers, is pretty close. A B12 or Hall leading bogie. Two Crab boilers suitably hacked about and merged into one.
With the V3 now out with a new mechanism, there might be some old V1/V3 mechanisms cheaply available, if the split chassis is acceptable. Shares the coupled wheelbase and driving wheel diameter with the N2, has the extended crankpin on the centre axle for the connecting rod, the motor position will fit as it stands. A D11/2 body with an extension to the boiler splashers and footplate inserted immediately ahead of the firebox would be my top choice for the body.
V1/ V3 would do me. I suggested and N2 chassis, as that is what was sitting in the spares box when I started thinking about it. A Director boiler would certainly fit the bill and thinking about it I do have an old BEC whitemetal one sitting idle at present.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Evenin' all

THis forum is great for bouncing ideas around and off each other.

The latest posts have given me an idea for a BEC D11 that I have spare. It was originally intended for conversion to a D10, but a Little Engines kit cropped up to kill that idea.

The Director boiler is very close to the J20 boiler. I fancy a J20, but am unwilling to pay the money that the old McGowan kit fetches on Ebay. I imagine that the Hornby B12 tender would be suitable. The wheelbase is unusual 8'10+10'0, but wouldn't be beyond my chassis building skills.

I'll take a stroll down to my local to mull the idea over a few beers.

Earlswood nob
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The old Hornby B12 tender is a far better model than the loco. The standard 2mm overheight problem of Triang-Hornby product from its time is happily correctable by separating the buffer beam from the frames, then slicing through the frames immediately above the spring trunnions, and reassembling with a new platform made from 20 thou plasticard. The moulded 'coal' can also be cut out and a new bunker constructed to considerable advantage while about this job. (No originality claimed for this, saw it in one of the mags in the 1960s.)

And there's the basis of a tender for a whole slew of Stratford's finest.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Afternoon all

THanks, Hatfield Shed, for the info.

I seem to remember reading that Dave Alexander did a GER tender, but I'm not sure which one.

I think the only tricky bit of converting a D11 to a J20 would be the slightly raised footplate over the rear coupled wheels.

Earlswood nob
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

I have previously mentioned that plastic isn't my favourite medium, but many years ago I did the B12 to D16/3 conversion, including making a new footplate and splashers. I scratch built the chassis and used 27mm Romfords and a XT60 with 26:1 gears. From practical experience - and not being aware of any previous articles - I can confirm that the tank on the old Hornby B12 tender is lacking 2mm (80th) in height so a piece of 80th plastic is needed. Reducing the underframe in height loses the spring detail and as far as I can make out I cut replacements and scribed in the leaf detail. If I were ever to attempt this again I would make an internal chassis for the tender.
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

E.N.
Nice thread and one which definitely interests me.
If you have spare K's 04's the conversion to an 05 is very straight forward.
IMO the K's 04 boiler was oversized, especially if compared with the current Bachmann offering, but spot on for an 05
All that is then needed is a more realistic cab, + new front plate as boiler is bigger the front plate windows were rearranged, and a better roof.
When I put the O5 next to the Bachmann 04 the differences are quite noticeable,,, especially the tender!!!!
I have also been looking at stretching a GBMagazine Butler Henderson body into other things,,, a Sam Fay and Glenalmond are the obvious choices but I haven't actually cut any plastic or ends of fingers as yet.
The pic of my 05 was when it was on shed to have a new front coupling fitted!!!!
05 conversion.jpg

SAD :(
Modelling 4mm finescale 00. LNER GCR GNR.
If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
http://salmonpastures.blogspot.co.uk
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

The O5 looks good, SAD.

I have an O5 which needs completing, I married the Kays O4 firebox to a SEF J39 boiler plus a bit left over from another conversion.

I widened the footplate to the rear of the cylinders, by filing away a small amount and then soldering a strip of brass onto the footplate.

I made the side window cab from plasticard, but didn't like it. I shall remake the cab and spectacle plate as my techniques have improved.

I think all the side-window cab O5s had battle-axe wheel balance weights, so they will be constructed from plasticard.

The Kays tender is incorrect, but I have so many of them, it would be a major exercise to improve them.
LNER_O4_4crop10.jpg
The pic shows an O4/4, an O5, and an O4/6 at the early stage of construction.

Earlswood nob
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

SAD I'm a bit confused by your comments re the Ks O4 boiler. Your suggestion that it was oversized set me thinking as I have an old unmade Ks kit that could be used as the basis for an O5 - a loco I've thought of making but was contemplating using a Ks B2 boiler and I've even got myself an Isinglass drawing for the O5.

I've just been out to the shed to measure the diameter of the Ks O4 I have that still runs on the layout and it comes out at 22.25mm compared to around 22.14mm for the Bachmann O4. So I got the boiler out of the unmade kit and it appears to be the same diameter - albeit the castings are not very good. Trying to set it at a diameter of 24mm results in the base of the smokebox looking much too wide at the base - ie it slants out rather dramatically. Sounds like your casting is different - is it one piece as boilers were in later kits designed by Ks? Mine is old and two pieces.

Interestingly amongst some bits I picked up along the way I've actually got a an old Wills Crab boiler so I could look to lengthen it as suggested by James H above. But then I've also got two really old Wills J39s that have come my way in the spares box that could be sacrificed.

Regards to all

Woodcock29
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Hello Woodcock,,,
Mine was certainly an old one,, I guess all this who-ha went on around 1970-72!!
So unfortunately the exact dimensions have been lost in the mists of time.
I do remember discussing with another GCR fan the various weak points of the K's 04 kit.
The cab was far too thick and chunky,,, the cab roof was,, from memory small,,, but in our joint opinion the biggest weakness was the oversize boiler,,,and I don't think we were talking about the odd 0.5mm mine was out by some distance,,, not to mention that the boiler bands of the 2 halves didn't actually match up.
We never used any of the K's chassis as in those days it was considered that "life was too short"!!!!
Anyway out came a load of photo's and possibly the Green Bible and I turned mine into an 05.
It may well be that in time they improved some of the castings,,, I wasn't aware later ones had one piece boilers.
Possibly due to the fact of complaints on the 2 halves not matching up.

Last night I looked at my Yeadons 05 book and it reminded me they were a chunky beast compared to the 04.
An interesting exchange once again.

SAD :(
Modelling 4mm finescale 00. LNER GCR GNR.
If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
http://salmonpastures.blogspot.co.uk