Bachmann Thompson Coaches - Livery Samples

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Bachmann Thompson Coaches - Livery Samples

Post by Graeme Leary »

Well aware of that Pennine and thank you 65447 - you sound like a man (woman?) after my own heart. It certainly gets me into a fair amount of strife when I voice similar thoughts in the hearing of not only my grandchildren but even my (very) adult children! Curse Noah Webster!
Graeme
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

1H was 2E wrote:
65447 wrote: Interesting that the 1st/3rd Composite (34-410) shown correctly has the large numeral '1' in the window, a hangover from WW2 blackout measures.
It is to me interesting that, when the Railway Executive issued details of standard liveries there was the following instruction, "First class compartments to be indicated by 1 on the door panel and in white on compartment windows" so the intention, at least, continued into BR days.
Out of curiosity at what date was that instruction issued '1H was 2E'? It may well be that in many locations the lighting had not been fully restored and also it did make it easier for 1st class passengers to locate appropriate seating in that period before BR re-introduced the below cantrail colour coding. [I say re-introduced because it was a similar system used by the GER on the 'Jazz' service suburban stock some 30 years previously.]
1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

65447 wrote: Out of curiosity at what date was that instruction issued '1H was 2E'?]
The instructions were reported in the railway press in the summer of 1949 - for example Railway Pictorial for June/July. The instructions were very prescriptive, those for locos, carriages and wagons being shown. To give some idea of the detail; for locos, drawings are shown of the lining separately for blue, green and black ones with not only widths but also radii on corners; wagons lettering is shown on several drawings although coach livery is described only in words, but it does lay down, after describing the crimson lake and cream livery and lining that 'For other vehicles, i.e. suburban and local steam stock, parcels vans etc. the lining is the same dimensions and positions', which I take to mean that the all over crimson lake livery should be lined.

I believe that the yellow band was a UIC instruction. It seems that now only Cross Country and Great Western conform to this. No operator uses the red for catering, possibly because they do not wish to draw attention to the decline from freshly cooked kippers to 'snack packs'...
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

The reviews I've read so far of the BR-liveried versions have been complimentary - BRM using superlatives like "superb" and "exquisite" to describe them. When they're finally available for sale, which shouldn't be long now, I'll take a punt on them and see how they look up close.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?