Bachmann Thompson Coaches - Livery Samples

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Bachmann Thompson Coaches - Livery Samples

Post by Bullhead »

Some tantalising pictures of livery samples for the retooled Bachmann 00 Thompson coaches have appeared at http://www.bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=323 - apart from the mis-spelling of Thompson's surname, it all looks quite promising.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Bachmann Thompson Coaches - Livery Samples

Post by mick b »

These are pre production photos. Hopefully the real thing wont look like a very cheap bookcase from MFI . :?
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

I must look out for those crimson and cream flatpacks next time I'm at the Metro Centre.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

For the sake of those unfortunate enough to want or need any RTR teak Thompson coaches I hope Bachmann take at least some notice of the other popular version(s) of the teak shade when concocting their own. The best of the pre-war liveries on the Hornby Gresley coaches might for instance be taken as something of a guide. Whilst teak and mock teak obviously did vary, perhaps the striking variance between Hornby Pullman colours and Bachmann Pullman colours would be best avoided rather than repeated in teak.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Something like what they should like.

1 a thommo.jpg
Crimson and Cream Ikea/MFI /Metro Centre are welcome to them.
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:For the sake of those unfortunate enough to want or need any RTR teak Thompson coaches I hope Bachmann take at least some notice of the other popular version(s) of the teak shade when concocting their own. The best of the pre-war liveries on the Hornby Gresley coaches might for instance be taken as something of a guide. Whilst teak and mock teak obviously did vary, perhaps the striking variance between Hornby Pullman colours and Bachmann Pullman colours would be best avoided rather than repeated in teak.
If anyone has successfully and simply solved that problem I'd like to know!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

My understanding is that all of the body was finished in the teak ground colour but that only the sides had graining applied, without lining, and not the ends. The Bachmann examples show graining effect on the ends and the graining needs to be more subtle, even if the panels did vary in colour and grain.

Interesting that the 1st/3rd Composite (34-410) shown correctly has the large numeral '1' in the window, a hangover from WW2 blackout measures.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Official photos do appear to show graining on the ends.
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

Since I was asked this in the thread about TK 1623, I shall repeat this here.

The drawings for teak liveried vestibule carriages state that the ends are to be brush grained. This means the ends are given a simpler one stage scumble, where as the sides are a two coat scumble to give the grain more depth.

Sawdust.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

I stand to be corrected then. I have a copy of a BRCW 'official' of a 1948-built 1st and in it the end does appear to be plain and certainly not anywhere like as grained as the sides. So in 4mm scale that finish will be quite difficult to reproduce and certainly not as vivid as the Bachmann sample's ends.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Misspelling Thompson is one thing; what about 'program' (programme) in the release printed (or have I now inadvertently mispelt/misspelt 2 more words?)
Graeme Leary
(Pedant from Downunder)
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Graeme Leary wrote:Misspelling Thompson is one thing; what about 'program' (programme) in the release printed (or have I now inadvertently mispelt/misspelt 2 more words?)
Graeme Leary
(Pedant from Downunder)
Or even 'mis-spelled' ;?)
D2100

Post by D2100 »

'Program' isn't a misspelling, it's just an American spelling. Same word, same meaning.
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Pennine MC wrote:'Program' isn't a misspelling, it's just an American spelling. Same word, same meaning.
Conventionally 'programme' is used in English (UK) for anything bar a computer 'program' whereas in the US (and elsewhere) the latter spelling is used for everything.

However we appear to have been invaded with so many Americanisations (izations?)/Americanisms (izms?) that the English language is fast being subsumed by them. Regrettably we no longer 'deliver' but 'deliver on', we have a 'sense' of anything and everything rather than think or feel, we can no longer protest against the use of 'protest' as a verb, we must 'step up to the plate', have a 'happy holiday', go to a 'movie', order a fancy coffee from a barista, and so it goes on, and on, and on. Even the smell of America is on every high street that has a 'Subway'. There was a time when a 'slider' was another name for a 'skiddie', but now it's all just cr@p and traditional English is going down the toobs. :?
1H was 2E

Post by 1H was 2E »

65447 wrote: Interesting that the 1st/3rd Composite (34-410) shown correctly has the large numeral '1' in the window, a hangover from WW2 blackout measures.
It is to me interesting that, when the Railway Executive issued details of standard liveries there was the following instruction, "First class compartments to be indicated by 1 on the door panel and in white on compartment windows" so the intention, at least, continued into BR days.