LNER Quint Articulated Suburban Coach Sets in OO Gauge

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: LNER Quint Articulated Suburban Coach Sets in OO Gauge

Post by Woodcock29 »

Manna

You're in luck! I picked up a built Kirk Open 3rd today for not too much from the guy I mentioned - the same guy I got the two greenies and the coach book from earlier in the year. Its built reasonably well and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Woodcock29
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hatfield Shed wrote:
earlswood nob wrote:... The one drawback would be the incorrect panel beading on the sides, but how many people would spot this?
Anybody with some familiarity with Doncaster's typical teak panelled coachbuilding style I rather feel.
Agreed. I think that is one of the first things I'd look for in an alleged model. Unfortunately, even York's imitation of Doncaster-style panelling on some of the pre-group ECJS coaches no longer fools me into thinking that I might be looking at a GNR coach.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Thanks Andrew.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It's taken me a while to find the time to sit down and find it, but Tony Wright had a 3D printed carriage from Andy Edgson earlier in the year. He didn't think the finish was as good as would be required, which reflects the limtations of the technology rather than being any slur against Andy's design work.

The last post showing the completed carriage is here. I haven't seen the carriage in person but I hope to this weekend.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

jwealleans wrote:It's taken me a while to find the time to sit down and find it, but Tony Wright had a 3D printed carriage from Andy Edgson earlier in the year. He didn't think the finish was as good as would be required, which reflects the limtations of the technology rather than being any slur against Andy's design work.

The last post showing the completed carriage is here. I haven't seen the carriage in person but I hope to this weekend.
The level of finish is largely dependent on the type of 3D printer; although all 3D prints will require some level of cleaning up at present. I did an N gauge kit for a pigeon van several years ago which used a 3D print (suitably cleaned up) as a casting master. Please see the picture below of the master which was printed in Shapeways' Frosted Ultra Detail. Despite keeping a couple of the kits for myself, I've never gotten around to building one for myself! This will have to change shortly! :oops:
Pigeon Van1.jpg
Steve
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

I happen to have an unbuilt Kirk quint-art set going spare...pm me if interested. I built one and have no need of a second now as layout changed.

Ray Sadler