LNER Quint Articulated Suburban Coach Sets in OO Gauge

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Palace Gates
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

LNER Quint Articulated Suburban Coach Sets in OO Gauge

Post by Palace Gates »

As a complete novice, I’m looking for co-conspirator(s) for a potential 3-D printing project. I recently purchased Isinglass's excellent drawings but OO Gauge representations of the above coaching stock are limited to Bill Bedford’s Mousa side etchings only kits (requiring modelling skills well beyond those possessed by ordinary mortals), or the outdated Kirk plastic kits long out of production due to worn moulds. The Kirk kits crop up on eBay occasionally fetching IMO obscene amounts of money (suggesting a potential untapped commercial opportunity). Neither of the above includes any interior detail. Advice, support & input of expertise on how I might progress this project would be very welcome. RSVP.
Kirk Quint Art 1.jpg
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Quint Articulated Suburban Coach Sets in OO Gauge

Post by jwealleans »

I'm afraid, if you're looking to 3D print sides, that you're still ahead of the technology. All the printed carriage and wagon bodies and sides I've seen have far too much texture from the printing process to be acceptable as finished items, unless you're prepared to sacrifice much of the detail in smoothing the surface.

I'm not sure about Bill's sides being 'beyond ordinary mortals', although I've not built that particular set from him.

Have you tried contacting the current owner of the Kirk kits to see what he has in stock? Have you also looked at whether sides for the longer carriages can be cut and shut to make a Quint?

Having finished with the negativity, if you're really determined to follow this through and supply a kit which would be within the compass of the greatest number of modellers, then I suggest you talk to Bill about how he did his recent resin Howldens. Superb accuracy of casting, everything in the box, simply clip together. Grumble about the price if you will, but there are always some people who want everything for nothing.

An alternative to consider, of which I've seen a few examples, is laser cut Rowmark. You can use multiple layers to build up panelling and the end effect is very like a Kirk side. I've built one and the downside was the panelling which had to be applied as a separate item onto a smooth side. I'm expecting some more with guides for the beading cut in, which should make construction easier. What I don't know (I was given them) is how much they cost, but I believe they were done by York Modelmaking, who should be able to advise.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

A Quint set went for over £200 on Ebay yesterday. I'd like one, but I will not pay that sort of money for a basic kit that needs a lot of work to detail it etc.

I still have a number of Kirk kits to build and I do enjoy building them. They were a breath of fresh air when they arrived on the scene.

I also like articulated carriages, and I am planning to build several sets of Gresley conversions of Howlden stock.

I have purchased a Silhouette Portrait cutter and it's a very useful piece of equipment. It is taking a while to teach myself the techniques needed to produce good models. It takes some time to produce (draw) the patterns needed to produce the layered sides.

With the coming of the darker evenings, I intend to obtain some more Isinglass drawings, including a quint set, and spend the evenings working on the patterns needed. No doubt, I will suffer eyestrain, and become very tired, but the end results will be worth it.

MJT now produce the shorter Gresley (8ft) bogies that were fitted to the Quints, and they make a tremendous difference to the running of the carriages.

Earlswood Nob

PS Now corrected to 8ft bogies
Last edited by earlswood nob on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Sadly I doubt if you will get very far with obtaining kits form the current owners of the Kirk Kits. The dark side has a very long thread of people ordering kits being charged and never receiving anything, I recommend don't order anything from him !.
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

Palace Gates wrote:As a complete novice, I’m looking for co-conspirator(s) for a potential 3-D printing project. I recently purchased Isinglass's excellent drawings but OO Gauge representations of the above coaching stock are limited to Bill Bedford’s Mousa side etchings only kits (requiring modelling skills well beyond those possessed by ordinary mortals),
I can assure you that there are people who have built some of my etched who never likely to be part of a heavenly host.

And if you are looking for 3D prints that come close to matching even kirk kits you would expect to pay £200+ per coach.

It'll be cheaper to buy yourself a soldering iron and some cheap wagon kits and lean how to build them.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

there are people who have built some of my etched who never likely to be part of a heavenly host.
Yes, I'd have to put my hand up to that.

For the investment required in creating a kit you could have a set built by one of the top builders. Fair enough if you're looking to sell some to recover your costs, but don't expect to come out ahead.

While wholly endorsing what Mick says, I do know that casting of some Kirk sides was subcontracted fairly recently, so there has been an injection of stock and he does seem to be capable of supplying what he has to hand. Just check it's available before you order anything, or arrange to collect at a show.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day everyone

I have just looked at the Coopercraft website and there are two new additions to their page of Kirk kits.

8860A (Quad-art) MIDDLE COACHES @ £24. presumably the two inner coaches of the Quad set.

8866 (Quint-art) MIDDLE COACH @ £13, presumably the middle of five for the Quint set.

It would be useful if the range is re-introduced with reliable supply.

Earlswood nob
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

A final thought (for now)

I think that a reasonable Quint-Art could be produced from the old Triang (Hornby) Short Clerestorys. Two passenger portions of brakes could be used to made the third class coaches, a portion of the composite could be added to the passenger portion of a brake to make a composite, and the brake could be shortened to make make the brake end.

With new roofs, bogies and underframes, and grab rails, they would make a reasonable model. The one drawback would be the incorrect panel beading on the sides, but how many people would spot this?

Earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Was there a Rupert Brown etched kit at one time, or was that in 7mm? The advantage of the Quin-Art is that - save for minor differences in the Brake Vans between early and late builds - the sets are identical, unlike the GN Quad-Arts where a genuine 'pair' is required for fidelity, and were run singly off-peak. Also used for excursion traffic, so can be justified in traffic over a wide area.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

earlswood nob wrote:... The one drawback would be the incorrect panel beading on the sides, but how many people would spot this?
Anybody with some familiarity with Doncaster's typical teak panelled coachbuilding style I rather feel.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Good call from 65447 about an RDEB kit, although I don't remember ever seeing one on Gresley Beat. The OP could try Andrew Hartshorne (Wizard Models) to see whether one is in the offing, although we're back to soldering again, which doesn't seem to be a preferred option
Palace Gates
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Palace Gates »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've had an interesting bite from one of the guys at Isinglass which I'm following up. I was one of the bidders on yesterday's eBay auction for the Kirk kit, but reality clicked in when the asking price went over £200 sovs and I thought WTF! Working a full-on 40 hour week leaves little time right now for learning how to solder quality Bedford brass, and I naturally look for solutions not problems - never being content with what I'm offered.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I can only echo EN's sentiments, I wish there was a reliable supply of the older Kirk kits, I could do with a couple of 'Quads' and a couple of other Gresley mainline coaches. Ah well.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Manna

What Kirk mainline coaches are you after as I have a mate here in Adelaide who may well be selling some of his made up ones for not too much shortly? I also still have some unmade Kirk corridors and non-corridors I might consider disposing of as I'm basically building brass now. Besides the layout can only hold so much coaching stock. I'm currently adding another short carriage siding for Howlden coaches!

In regards to those books I let you know about that's still being resolved as the guy who had asked for them to be sold has actually passed away now.

Woodcock29
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Woodcock 29

The mainline coach I'm after is a open 3rd, with doors at the ends, and a Quad Art, I've enough of everything else.

Sorry to hear about book seller passing away, no problem waiting.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.