DJ Models J94

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mistahjim
LNER J39 0-6-0

Re: DJ Models J94

Post by mistahjim »

Update having run the model:

After the comments above I did go back over the model. The injector below the cab is indeed rather crude, and whilst the dart is finely moulded I'm not sure the real thing stood 9 inches proud of the smokebox door. As mick b also points out, the lamp brackets are a little odd. I'm in no position to comment on the bunker ladder however, Wilbert not possessing one.

As for running, a few less than favourable comments prompted me to set a fairly tough test - a 3rd radius oval of set track, not fixed down but simply placed on top of the 6x4 fibreboard topped board I use for war gaming, which is full of lumps and bumps. I also included some reverse curves, curved turnouts and sequences of short pieces of track. Some of the joiners were on the loose side as well.

An hour later and it's still going round at half throttle on a Hornby R8250.

It is hesitant over dead frogs, and not actually as quiet as I would expect of a brand new model. I suspect that is down to the gear train. It doesn't have the haulage I would expect of such a mechanism either so performance wise it leaves something to be desired.

So final thoughts from me on this: I've not experienced any hint of derailing either on the test track I laid or my code 100 shunting layout, but lacks grunt. Looks wise it has some areas executed very well, but others are a little disappointing.

It will stay, because it is perfectly serviceable and I have wanted a Wilbert for a while (my first footplate ride, not counting a few hundred yards on Oliver Cromwell at Bressingham when I was around 7). I will probably replace the injectors and lamp brackets at some point, but I do have other higher priority projects. It won't displace my D16/3 as the favourite any time soon though.
What do you get when you cut an avocado into 6.022 x10^23 pieces?

Guacamole.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Paul Marshall-Potter has done an in-depth review of this loco. He is a frequent contributor to the model railway press and well-known on the exhibition circuit. I thought there might be some interest so check his review out here:

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... standards/

Regards,

Vernon
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

notascoobie wrote:Paul Marshall-Potter has done an in-depth review of this loco. He is a frequent contributor to the model railway press and well-known on the exhibition circuit. I thought there might be some interest so check his review out here:

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... standards/

Regards,

Vernon
Dare I say it's one of the most balanced reviews I've read on this model? It is interesting how much those on what I see we now call "the dark side" try to undermine the review, but it highlights pitfalls and positives in the design.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

I think we should be very relieved that Hornby decided to produce the Q6.
mistahjim
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by mistahjim »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:
Dare I say it's one of the most balanced reviews I've read on this model? It is interesting how much those on what I see we now call "the dark side" try to undermine the review, but it highlights pitfalls and positives in the design.
Have to agree, and well written too.
What do you get when you cut an avocado into 6.022 x10^23 pieces?

Guacamole.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Pebbles wrote:I think we should be very relieved that Hornby decided to produce the Q6.
That much is certain!