Atso's C&W works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Atso's C&W works

Post by Atso »

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Jonathan, I truly doubt that my effort is neater than yours. I've seen you work and it really is exceptional.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Suddenly, there were two fish vans... Two more to go...
20190403_184906.jpg
Steve
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Very Nice. Shame to paint them really!
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

It does seem like a shame to paint them Will. However, they'll be remaining in this condition for a little while yet.

Finding myself with a bit of time to kill yesterday, I decided to make a start on the 2mm Association LNER/GER Mac K etches. However, I got stuck in and completed the model.
2mm Association Ex-GE MAC K small.jpg
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

My latest build, an ex-GCR Mac N from the 2mm Association etches.
Ex-GCR Mac N.jpg
It was a challenging build but an enjoyable one. I stole the buffers from a spare loco body as they were the closest match to the drawings I had. I've still got to fit wheels but I'm out of 5.1mm diameter wheelsets at the moment so will have to buy some more.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

It's been far too hot in the shed the last couple of days to continue painting and lining the spare Dapol corridor tender described on my loco tread. Therefore, I've grabbed my work tray and a few bits and de-camped down into the dining room and made a start on my second 2mm Association Toad E etched kit.
20190701_183251.jpg
The basic chassis has been built but there are a lot of details to add to this before I turn my attention to the body. Despite the kit being drawing to 2mm scale, it is actually slightly longer than the venerable Peco version and the first one runs well using Farish wheels and 2mm Association conversion axles.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

The Toad E has progress a bit further today.
20190702_140538.jpg
I think now is a good time to do some cleaning up before adding any more details.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Other than vac pipes, some couplings and roof fittings, I'm going to call this build complete.
Toad E Complete Small.jpg
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Looks complete enough to me, so why not?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Needing a break from designing the N1's chassis, I looked about for a suitable unfinished project to do a bit more on. I found a Worsley Works 51' Third that I'd started building just after Christmas and decided to do a bit more on it. I've more or less sorted out the fact that the floorpan is slightly longer than the body (probably my fault). I've also soldered the body and frames together as well as adding some strengtheners from 0.25mm nickel silver sheet. My plan is to 3D print the roof and attach this using magnets. I'll be sourcing some bogies from the 2mm Association and truss bars from Ultima Models. Battery boxes will be 3D printed and the partitions will likely be made out of plastic to keep the weight down.
Worsley Works 51ft Third small.jpg
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Magnets to keep the roof on, I've noticed a lot more usage of magnets lately, even couplings!

Nice coach, can't you 3D print the whole coach ??

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

manna wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:43 pm Magnets to keep the roof on, I've noticed a lot more usage of magnets lately, even couplings!
I've seen this too. I purchased 100 3mm diameter magnets for uncoupling. Unfortunately, they weren't powerful enough for that purpose but seem ideally suited to holding bits together. I've been using simple hook and loops, made out of bits of wire, for fixed couplings but I'm very tempted to use these magnets for fixed rakes of corridor stock; it'll be so much easier than trying to thread a hook through a loop with a corridor connector in the way!
manna wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:43 pm Nice coach, can't you 3D print the whole coach ??
Many thanks.

I've done so in the past with shorter NPC stock, however there are two issues I've run into. First, I'd need to come up with some way of flush glazing the coach. I could 3D print the glazing in "clear" resin but this will take some effort post printing to make it optical quality. The second issue is preventing a long open box structure from warping over time. I have managed this occasionally, but it is rather hit and miss. Printing the roof wouldn't be so much of a problem as the magnets will hopefully hold it straight. If not, it would be a simple matter to reinforce it with some brass rod.

Below are a couple of short NPCs that own their origins to 3D printing.
LNER NPCS Teak Finish.jpg
The six wheel full brake is 3D printed while the D.120 van is a resin cast made from a 3D printed master.
20190215_171710.jpg
This is a 3D printed Holden lavatory composite. You can see just how thick the sides are and it would be a shame to have to glaze them from behind. While the coach looks pretty straight and true here, it subsequently warped and I'll probably end up designing an etch for the final version.
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Thought I'd ask, loco bodies seem to be OK 3D printed. Hmmm :?

Thinking out loud, what if you printed all the corridor and compartment walls !!

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

manna wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:05 am Thought I'd ask, loco bodies seem to be OK 3D printed. Hmmm :?
Locos tender to be OK but some tank engines still warp. I need to understand why this happens on certain designs but not others. Longer coaches are more of a problem.
manna wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:05 am Thinking out loud, what if you printed all the corridor and compartment walls !!
I might well do this, at the very least for the seats.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

The full third had a couple of bearings soldered onto the underside of the floorpan today. The holes were then opened up from 1.5mm to 1.6mm and tapped to accept M2 screws. I found a couple of bogies (2mm Association for a full brake) as temporary substitutes for the ones on order and added these to get a feel for how the coach will eventually look.
20190919_134814 small.jpg
It needed a couple of packing washers to bring the ride height to roughly the same height as a Dapol Gresley.
20190919_190500 small.jpg
Encouraged by this, I also made a light start on one of the brake thirds.
Steve