Atso's C&W works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atso's C&W works

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Ahhh!, Well we'll say no more on 'that' subject. :wink:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

They look superb Steve, as they say "they don't build diamonds like house bricks".
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

Atso wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:18 pm Hi all,

The current state of play with the fish vans.
These cruel enlargements show that there are still a couple of bits and pieces to fettle but I think they're coming along nicely. I'm especially pleased that the word 'FISH' is legible on the door of the dia 134 van! :D
Legible wagon plates in N gauge! That's got to be a break-out-the-bubbly moment surely?

Will
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

wehf100 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:55 pm Legible wagon plates in N gauge! That's got to be a break-out-the-bubbly moment surely?
Thanks Will, I'll 'break-out-the-bubbly' if you supply me with a bottle! :lol:

The GNR six wheel full brake has been progressing after a bit of a delay...
GNR Six Wheel Full Brake.jpg
A cruel close up of the c. 66m long model! The photo shows that I've still got a couple of bits and pieces to sort out around a couple of the panels and I need to re-scribe a couple of the door lines...
Steve
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Still amazing for N gauge.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Dave wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:33 pm Still amazing for N gauge.
Thanks Dave. Mike Trice has managed to find a couple of mistakes I've made on the roof detail (amazing since there are only holes for the fittings there at the moment) so I'm not feeling quite as smug about this one as I was this morning!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: Still, as I need to redesign the chassis anyway, it wouldn't be a problem to modify/add details to the roof and reprint this as well.

I'll be making the modifications to the existing body but I'll be keeping it for myself and not using it as a casting master!

Rob, sorry I missed your earlier post. Thank you very much for your kind comments (although your work very much puts mine to shame!).
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

As some of those who I saw at Ally Pally know, I've been playing around with some resin casting. While results have been very promising, the castings have shown that my initial design for the vans could do with some revision to make life easier. Therefore, I've spent a bit of time redesigning these and will be getting another batch of masters printed in due course.

However, I have a handful of cast fish van bodies, but no rooves or chassis, and it seemed a pity to not use them. Therefore, I put together a few 2mm Association etched chassis (two in primer drying and one more to be built) and knocked up a roof using BHE etches. The results of the first effort is below.
Dia 23 test casting on 2mm FS chassis Doc Large.jpg
The actual kit will have a mainly cast chassis and roof to make things easier for modellers.
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Very neat.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hello from 'sunny' North Yorkshire. We're on holiday at the moment and my better half let me take a kit or two as holiday projects. Here is an etched kit for a Toad E sold by the 2mm Association.
image.jpg
This is about as far as I can go until I get home. There are a few bits missing due either to not reading the instructions properly or accidentally losing a couple of the smallest of the tiny etched bits. I'll have to fabricate these when I get home. I'll also be replacing the etched horizontal long handrails with guitar wire and handrail knobs as these are very fragile. I also need to make some ventilators for the roof but I'll print these.

I think this must be the most complicated etched kit I've put together so far and I'll definitely be building another - at £7.25 for the basic etches (c. £12 total with the additional bits to complete), you can't really go wrong and it is some much better than the hybrid 1960s vintage Peco version with all its compromises.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Today is the last full day of our holiday in North Yorkshire. As I woke up at my customary 6am and needing something to do, I broke out the modelling tray for the last time until we get home.

Having taken the Toad E as far as I can up here, I decided to build some plastic wagon bodies.
213-240818100430.jpeg
These are the 2mm Association's LNER six plank wagon bodies and, after the Toad E, were a breeze to put together. I built a batch last year and mounted the unfitted ones on Peco 9' wheelbase chassis. These ones however will all end up with 2mm Association etched chassis and will be evenly split as fitted and unfitted wagons.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi all,

A few more wagons going through the works while I wait to be able to afford some etched chassis the six plank wagons and to regain access to my CAD software...
image.jpg
Six Peco 9' wheelbase PO wagons painted to represent examples built and operated by the LNER. I'll get the diagonal stripes applied at some point. I wasn't going to have too many of these until I found a picture in my newly acquired copy of Yeadon's covering the O2 class. There is a lovely picture of an O2 hauling a coal train made up of LNER owned wagons, including hoppers! The caption states that this was a train from New England to London so I have to make a representation of it!
image.jpg
This is an N Gauge Society kit for a GWR Loriot wagon. However, it is masquerading as an ex-NER MAC L. Please ignore the generic number, it was pre-assembled on the sheet and I was feeling lazy.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

These dropped through the letter box today courtesy of the 2mm Association.

There are three NER hopper wagons and two GER cattle vans along with enough etched chassis to build three of each. In the background is one built NER hopper wagon body (just to ensure that it all goes together properly you understand) and a built GER cattle wagon from a couple of years ago that has been waiting for its chassis! I'm over at fellow N Gauge modeller's house tomorrow for a bit of a modelling day so one or two of these may (or may not) get built!
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

A picture of a couple of NPCS that I've been working on intermittently for several months.
LNER NPCS Teak Finish.jpg
I've still got a few bits to add and some general tidying. The GNR six wheeler needs some proper coach wheels (including the missing center axles!) instead of the spoked wagon wheels its currently running on. Also, despite correcting the ventilator layout as kindly pointed out by Mr Trice on the other forum, I've not added the missing roof ribs to this coach. I didn't bother trying to make the skylights transparent as I figured that these would become filthy in service anyway. These will be added to the CAD along with a minor redesign of the chassis and I really add some holes to mount hand grabs too. Sufficient to say, as with so many things in life, the next one will be better!

The LNER Dia. 120 is a resin kit I did about eight years ago and if I did it again, there are quite a few things I would do differently. This is one of two kits I kept back for myself - the other being the actual test build which still hasn't been fully painted! I've not added the etched details such as brakes, coupling hooks, etc yet but I'm sure this will be done before the end of the year!

I've lettered and numbered these using some new coach decals from the 2mm Association. This are a little on the shiny side but the registration of the various printed layers is so much better than Fox's. Unfortunately, the size of the 'GUARD' decal is a little too generous and would really need two doors to fit! To get something onto the doors, I turned to my remaining Fox Transfer set and carefully cut out the decal to try and remove as much of the unregistered white as possible. Not perfect but looks a lot better than if I had either used the 2mm Association decal or not tried to remove the unwanted bits on the Fox ones.

Edit: Oh, and I know that the door knobs and hinges should probably be black or brown - for this I plead modeller's license!
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

In between test printing and alterations to some other projects, I've been tackling some of the 2mm Association's etches to produce some Fox bogies. This is how the etch arrives, it'll need bearings and wheels to complete.

Being an older design, the axle boxes are made up out of three separate layers that need to be carefully positioned and soldered into place. Newer designs have these in one piece to allow this tiny components to be folded up which does make life a little easier.

Below are the completed bogies with the 2mm Association's 7mm diameter coach wheelsets that have been turned to N gauge standards. Each bogie took about an hour and twenty minutes to build.

I primarily used solder paste to put these together by did use a couple of tiny amounts of 145 degree solder to tack the ends of the cross members to the bogie sides once I'd folded everything up. After that is was a scrub using cream cleaner followed by a wash and a then a soaking an a solution of Cillit Bang (about 25% bang to 75% water) for about half an hour before giving the bogies a final wash. Once dry, I test fitted the wheels to ensure everything was level and ran smoothly.

You may have noticed that there are only three bogies in the picture and there is a reason for this.

An ex-GNR articulated pair which I've been working on one and off since the beginning of the year. Originally these were built as vestibule six wheelers but were rebuilt by Gresley into articulated pairs. Four of these set were created but, sadly gone before nationalisation. I've still got to design the underframes as I need to work out how I'm going to articulate them (I'd like some kind of close coupling cam system) and I needed the bogies made up to be able to take measurements (as well as to get a bit of inspiration by placing the bodies on top of them!).
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I see you've fixed your electron microscope..............amazing work :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.