AA uniforms 1923/1947

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

AA uniforms 1923/1947

Post by Graeme Leary »

More a 'general' modelling question but thanks to Langley's of Crawley I have acquired riders for the Oxford AA motorcyle/sidecar set they produce. I've googled the AA website to check the colours the uniforms the riders would have been wearing and a good photo came up but being black and white the uniform colour was not clear, even though it looked as though it may have been a medium tone, perhaps khaki or a mid brown. Can anybody please help and also would they have worn a high leg leather boot as part of the uniform. (Likewise uniform colours for RAC, assuming they existed then - which I didn't think to google). Many thanks.
Graeme Leary
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: AA uniforms 1923/1947

Post by SAD Burdett »

Hi Graeme,
This might help,,, but obviously open to errors.
aapatrol.jpg
SAD :(
Modelling 4mm finescale 00. LNER GCR GNR.
If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
http://salmonpastures.blogspot.co.uk
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Or perhaps this one which is even better.
AA2.jpg
SAD :(
Modelling 4mm finescale 00. LNER GCR GNR.
If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
http://salmonpastures.blogspot.co.uk
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

As a BTW, the AA at one time maintained a small private museum at their H-headquarters-Q in Basingstoke, as an element of their new employee induction; which was open to members by appointment. Among other gems, the AA and RAC were incorporated into the special constabulary during both world wars; with particular regard to the detailed local route knowledge these organisations possessed.

There is a railway point to this: I certainly had not realised that the AA, outside major urban areas and off the trunk roads, erected much of the road signage in the UK until local authorities were instructed to do so systematically from around 1930. (And the motoring organisations played a key role in removal of all the signage on the outbreak of WWII. After which of course their route knowledge became yet more useful.) So that's a feature which might figure in any pre-WWII LNER layout set in rural parts.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Very many thanks SAD Burdett; exactly what I was looking for (and Hatfield Shed - in the fullness of time will also add some signs to the lanes around 'Wellingdale' on my layout). Brilliant!!
Graeme