Coke wagons

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Coke wagons

Post by Graeme Leary »

I have 6 of what I understand to be coke wagon models ie higher sides with open spaces between the top 3 planks. They are in 3 different liveries: N.E.R - 52220 (2 of these on dark greenish grey); Plean Colliery, Bannockburn (3 of these on mid grey) and 1 with Arthur H. Stabler, Darlington, also mid grey. However my 'go to' reference book, Peter Tatlow's 'A Pictorial Record of LNER Wagons' doesn't even illustrate this form of wagon. Does this perhaps imply this type of coke wagon was not run by LNER, however, if so, I'd be grateful for some ideas for names and numbers (and colours) that I could redo them in that would be LNER correct.
Graeme Leary
2512silverfox

Re: Coke wagons

Post by 2512silverfox »

Graeme

I am not 100% sure but I think that most Coke wagons were Private Owners. It is possible that the NBR had some, but I have seen no such evidence. Certainly in to 20s and 30s most coke wagons were RCH 12 tonners with added rakes since the coke, per ton, was much more bulky than unprocessed coal.

Nick
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

It's a 'sort of NER R5 coke hopper' made to fit the standard wagon chassis as was normal back in the day. Decently chewed over here:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... -this-one/
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

I'm sure that I saw an article/post somewhere on upgrading these wagons to a better representation of an R5.
I have a small stock (acquired over time etc etc) ready for a conversion programme.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks all; think I can treat my varying liveries (???) as 'private owners' and leave as is.
Graeme