Express Headlamps and Tail-lights

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Express Headlamps and Tail-lights

Post by Graeme Leary »

Next stage of my express project is fitting loco headlamps and taillights to The Flying Scotsman (Express) and in the not too distant future (I hope) The West Riding Pullman.
I know there were quite definite rules to indicate a wide range of different train types (on the locos) and I presume set tail-lamp positions. (Another train type would be a long coal train and mixed goods - non- stopping if relevant - as I also run these frequently as well as a 2 coach rural suburban train).
Any help gratefully accepted on all these train types but particularly the FS and WRP expresses.
Graeme Leary
DonnyRailMan
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Express Headlamps and Tail-lights

Post by DonnyRailMan »

Graeme Leary wrote:Next stage of my express project is fitting loco headlamps and taillights to The Flying Scotsman (Express) and in the not too distant future (I hope) The West Riding Pullman.

That is something I would like to now as well.
DonnyRailMan Instagram @severncrescentrailway
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

Graeme

You will find diagrammatic lists in several places on the internet but in simple terms for the expresses mentioned the head codes (white single lamps in each case) would be:

-
o - o

The tail lamp would be a single red (up until 1937) and then white lamp normally set on the Pullman gangway. The only express passenger trains to have two lamps were the SJ and Coronation/WR sets.

Nick
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

This web site should help -

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/3-sigs/bellhead.htm

Scroll down a little for the loco lamp codes.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
DonnyRailMan
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by DonnyRailMan »

strang steel wrote:This web site should help -

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/3-sigs/bellhead.htm

Scroll down a little for the loco lamp codes.
Thanks for link, it was the tail-lights I was not sure about.
DonnyRailMan Instagram @severncrescentrailway
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

As far as I know, the tail lamp, was usually put on the side closest to the platform.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The tail lamp would be a single red (up until 1937) and then white lamp normally set on the Pullman gangway.
Sorry, Nick, have I misunderstood here? Do you mean that the lamp showed white or (as I assume) that it was painted white?

I didn't know or had forgotten that carriage tail lamps were painted red. So in 1935-39 (the era of Grantham) we'd be likely to see a mixture of both.

Brake van lamps were black throughout the LNER period, is that correct?
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

Jonathan

That was a bit stupid of me! The lamps were painted red up until everyone started to get a rush of blood about air raid precautions and then changed to white (I think the same applied to the other three members of the big four); however the lamp showed a red aspect in each case. The goods brake side lights were black with the appropriate colour aspect as dictated by running lines, but the tail lamps, usually one centrally, were on the same basis as the passenger lamps.

I would agree that tail lamps tended to be positioned (or rather placed) on the side nearest the platform, but then I can think of quite a few instances where this could have been either side!

Just to complete the picture, the small riding lights used on passenger brakes before 1923 were usually red, viz the Royal Train Brake in the NRM.

Nick
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Which reminds me that I still have a couple of goods brakes with side lamps wrongly painted red. I must underline that job on the "to do" list....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Greetings all and many thanks (and apologies for delayed reply - blasted computer 'locked'). Very helpful and in particular the link to Bell Codes and Locomotive Head Codes - and will also be adding Classes E, F & H to my repertroire of goods trains. Brilliant!
Graeme