Thompson B2 query

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Thompson B2 query

Post by Ocean Swell »

Hi,

the recent announcement of the Hornby Railroad B17 has set me thinking on how I might go about modifying an existing model to represent a Thompson B2. A quick search has shown Graeme Kings useful thread on building one from a Bachmann B1, A1 Wheels and B17 cab a few years ago. I mostly model in 7mm so I don't have a great supply of 4mm spare bits and pieces laying around, but Hattons have a B17/6 and B1 on sale so these could be the starting point (or ebay etc). Living in Australia there is not much opportunity to pick up these things second hand at shows.

So, would I be right in thinking the best bet would be the B1 or B17/6 boiler a B1 footplate (both suitably lifted) plus Cylinders and gear and B17 wheels, splashers and cab? Also if one were to become available is the tender off the Q6 R3425 (BR early) the appropriate ex NER one for the majority of the B2s.

Cheers
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Thompson B2 query

Post by Hatfield Shed »

You have the essence of it. B1 parts should be fairly plentiful from failed Replica and Bachmann split chassis models, alternatively Replica may well still be selling components too. http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/

The tender from the Q6 is not quite right for the ex C7 tender, but could probably be modified to a closer approximation with a bit of coal rail chopping. Don't forget the 2871 Man City / 1671 Royal Sovereign option: this was the sole B2 to retain the LNER GS tender.
Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ocean Swell »

Thanks for that Hatfield shed, I have had a look online and as you say there are plenty of non/poor running Replica and Bachmann B1s going cheap,also Hornby spare parts such as the cylinder block going cheap and the Hornby B1 valve gear available but not cheap.

I was looking at pictures of 61607 Blickling, 61614 Castle Headingham , 61616 Fallodon and 61617 Ford Castle as having a tender similar to one of the two types on the Hornby Q6. Also 61603 Framlingham and 61639 Norwich City with something similar bur with the coal rail abruptly stopping rather than curving back down to the tender. 61644 Earlham Hall looks similar to this also but without the fluting. It is a bit academic at this point in regard to the tender as I could find none currently available separately anyway.

I think I will get the Replica/Bachmann B1 parts and use one of the cheap B17s from hattons for the wheels/motor and work out what I shall do about the tender after that.

Thanks again.

Ocean Swell
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Ocean Swell

I have a spare Nucast Q6 tender which you can have - that might give you some ideas on whether you could use that with some butchery perhaps. It will need a rebuild but should come apart easily enough with paint stripper as it has only been glued together. I was given it along with several other badly built w/m kits from a deceased estate.

I also thought I had a Bachmann B1 loco body but that appears to have been set aside for use on an O4/8 at some stage.

Sing out if you want to bring any of your 4mm models over for a longer run on my layout.

Woodcock29
Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ocean Swell »

Thanks Andrew,

I would certainly be interested in that tender. I had a look at some pictures of Nucast Q6s on line and the tender certainly looks like those on several of the B2s. I don't know much about the NER so if anyone could tell me if the tenders on the Q6s were the same as those on the the C7s (and later B2s) that would be appreciated.

It would be good to take some of my 4mm stuff for a run on your layout, as I have picked up a couple of new items (K1 and K3) since I saw you last. Its not likely before December however as I am currently working in the APY lands. Also I will send you an email soon to see if any of the BRMA guys down south would be interested in building some portable baseboards for me. Its easy to work on kits and such in the evening here but bulky things are no good as the work is fly in fly out.

Cheers

Bill