Haywood - Updated Locomotive roster

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Coalby & Marblethorpe - A vision of the LNER in the 50s and 60s

Post by Nova »

Small update, I've been searching the internet for a relatively cheap European electric locomotive to use the chassis as a basis for the EE2. the goal was something that wasn't too expensive, no more than £150, and it had to be a 2-D-2, or 4-8-4 in Whyte notation.

I HAD intended to use a model of the SNCF 5500 class

in fact I'd even had a specific item lined up. Then I stumbled across this attractive looking loco, the Itallian Railways class E428

The articulated chassis and those ornate wheels make the chassis look like a blend between the EE1 and the EM1, plus the articulation would help with stability and driver comfort at higher speeds. With a new bodyshell from a Dapol DP1 and a re-made bufferbeam to suit OO proportions, it should fit right in with the planned Electric fleet.

I plan to obtain a model in January or february, though work may take a bit longer.
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ocean Swell »

Hi Nova, in regard to your rollingstock it might be worth looking at some of the Australian RTR wagons particularly those from the NSWGR, SAR and VR as they a clear hybrids of British style railways evolving into American styled railways. They are in HO and can be quite expensive but are good quality.

Have a look at these links as some examples

http://www.sdsmodels.com.au/bcwx.htm

http://www.orientexpressmodels.com.au/OER/OER_OB.htm

http://www.auscisionmodels.com.au/36'%2 ... rframe.htm

http://www.austrains.com.au/rollingstock.html#freight

http://www.sdsmodels.com.au/twfx.htm

also this
http://www.auscisionmodels.com.au/L%20C ... motive.htm

and resin kits

http://www.endofthelinehobbies.com.au/s ... and/strath

in regard to potential loco names take the pacifics and deltics out of these lists and pick the best of whats left.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Guin ... es#Winners

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epsom_Derby#Winners

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Leger_Stakes#Winners

I hope you find something of interest out of all of that.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Ocean Swell wrote:Hi Nova, in regard to your rollingstock it might be worth looking at some of the Australian RTR wagons particularly those from the NSWGR, SAR and VR as they a clear hybrids of British style railways evolving into American styled railways. They are in HO and can be quite expensive but are good quality.

Have a look at these links as some examples

http://www.sdsmodels.com.au/bcwx.htm

http://www.orientexpressmodels.com.au/OER/OER_OB.htm

http://www.auscisionmodels.com.au/36'%2 ... rframe.htm

http://www.austrains.com.au/rollingstock.html#freight

http://www.sdsmodels.com.au/twfx.htm

also this
http://www.auscisionmodels.com.au/L%20C ... motive.htm

and resin kits

http://www.endofthelinehobbies.com.au/s ... and/strath

in regard to potential loco names take the pacifics and deltics out of these lists and pick the best of whats left.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Guin ... es#Winners

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epsom_Derby#Winners

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Leger_Stakes#Winners

I hope you find something of interest out of all of that.

Thank you :D, especially with the names.

in regards to wagons I'll most likely be scratch building, as it is invariably cheaper, and it allows me to put some more "british" details into the wagons
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

Nova

Re: Coalby & Marblethorpe - The CM&YUR

Post by Nova »

one thing I've yet to touch upon, is the private railway I mentioned in the first post. well, I say private, it is owned by the LNER, but through a prior agreement with the NER, who took over the line, it's retained its independent identity, at least in terms of the writing on the side of the rolling stock; the Coalby, Marblethorpe & Yorkshire Union Railway.
It's intended primarily to give me an outlet to replicate the atmosphere of small private or industrial railways, which through my short time in the preservation movement I gained a soft spot for, with the sense of things being held together on a shoestring budget only with locos a bit bigger than mere 0-4-0 saddle tanks. There's actually a term for these types of railways which the Americans use called "Shortline operations".

The gist of the line is that it was built to serve as an interim between a series of different industries, mines, aggregates, logging, etc. and the interchange with the NER just north of Doncaster at Coalby. With the NER gaining control a new line was built to give a direct route from the industry hub at Marblethorpe to Selby and York, and also to provide an admittedly circuitous bypass in the case of a major accident on the main line.
as a result of the takeover at the end of WW1 and the subsiquent grouping it's become a melting pot for designs from old companies such as the GCR, GNR and NER, usually no bigger than tender 0-6-0 or 2-6-0. in addition to these it has a small stable of mixed traffic inside cylinder 2-6-0s, designed by the line's CME somwtime around 1910 and built under an arrangement by the GCR with some agreed input by Robinson, hence there being some level of similarities with the O4

In reality it's a freelanced 3d printed kit based on the L&YR class 28, but I won't tell if you don't ;)
I'll be kitbashing it to look a bit more Great Central when I get around to doing it, supplementing a GCR tender, splashers and smokebox door should do the trick.

All of the towns and villages on the line have small stations, little more than a raised section of cobblestone sandwiched between two pieces of track and separated from the town by little more than a fence between the line and the main road with a gate for access. the upper portion of the layout will be based upon just such a scene.
Freight to or from each town is loaded at the platform itself, and carried in home-build 50/50 carriage/van or carriage/open wagon combinations mounted on a 50 foot bolster chassis, usually there is one of each of these in local trains, with the passenger halves usually at opposite ends and a vacuum fitted wagon sandwiched between the two combo-wagons, though from time to time a couple of extra wagons are strung on the back.
These local trains have no set timetable, but they depart from and arrive at the major stations at Coalby and Marblethorpe roughly every half an hour and Selby and York roughly every hour. the motive power for these locals can range from large 0-6-0Ts to the mixed traffic moguls and just about anything in between.

In regards to freight, there is a great verity including coal, stone, spoils from mining operations and lumber hauled by an equally varied selection of locos, after WW1 the line received 4 ex-ROD Robinson 2-8-0s which were subsequently named after notable battles of WW1, however, of particular note are a small stable of American built geared locomotives, mostly Heislers, to work the heaviest freight trains of coal and stone as well as banking on the steep incline out of Coalby.
Before you all start chasing me off with pitchforks, a shay locomotive WAS used in Bilston, Staffordshire by Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd between 1900 and 1912, so it's not too farfetched an idea to picture a similar engine to the one in the above picture roaring along with a heavy coal train, sounding like it's doing 70mph when it's only doing a sedate 20mph (apparently they could top 40 with a good head of steam).
Last edited by Nova on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Coalby & Marblethorpe - Electric Locomotives.

Post by Nova »

As I never did a comprehensive list of new electric types like with the Diesels, here.

Numbering followed a similar Scheme to Diesel locomotives, with an appropriate prefix followed by a number allocation relating to power, though with electric locomotives the spread was more even over the number ranges:

E1-E999: under 1000hp
E1000-E1999: 1000hp-1999hp
E2000-E2999: 2000hp-2999hp
E3000-E3999: 3000hp-3999hp
E4000-E4999: 4000hp-4999hp
E5000-E9999: over 5000hp

due to the proliferation of electric classes by this time, I'll be including pre-existing classes as well.

ES1 (E1-E2) Bo-Bo

EE1 (E1000) 1-Co-1
The history of this locomotive before 1948 is well established. Following completion of the Doncaster to York electrician the EE1 was pushed back into service, even being used for the inaugural electric train. However once it entered regular service issues began to arise; having a 3-axle central rigid bogie with four trailing axles and large drive wheels caused reliability problems and it was soon limited to 60mph and relegated to pilot duties with the occasional empty coaching stock run.

EB1 (E1001-E1010) Bo-Bo
Following 1948 the EB1s were fully converted to banking specification and allocated to Wath to perform shunting and banking duties.

EM1 (E1011-E1092) Bo-Bo
Following completion of the Woodhead electrification the LNER began producing EM1s, including an additional 24 built by Darlington Works for use on the electrified Doncaster to York stretch of the ECML.

EM3 (E1093-E1142) 2-C-2
In addition to the EM1 and EM2, the LNER needed an electric locomotive to handle local passenger and unfitted mixed freights on the Doncaster to York Electrification. in 1955 with completion of the electrification looming J.F.Harrison took a research trip to Europe to collect research on successful pre-war designs that could be adapted. Amongst a few different designs chosen for new classes was a 2-6-2 for mixed traffic work to replace the K1s based on the OBB 1073 class, though the finished product was very different to the 1073, with smaller wheels to improve adhesion and an external drive-crank, as well as a different bodyshell. The bulk of the design work was the result of J.F.Harrison whilst the details and construction of the prototype was undertaken by English Electric.

EM2 (E2000-2026) Co-Co
in total 27 of these were built by the LNER.

EE2 (E3000-E3079) 3600hp 2-Bo-Bo-2
this is another example of an electric locomotive with foreign influences, when thinking of a design for a new electric passenger locomotive J.F.Harrison looked to Italy's Ferrovie Dello Stato, who had been successfully using electric locomotives since the mid-20s. Eventually he settled upon the Class E428 2-Bo-B-2 (4-4-4-4) as a basis. After laying down the basic design for the chassis Harrison passed on the rest of the design work to English Electric, who implimented four 900HP electric motors and designed a bodyshell based on the DP1. following the construction and testing of the prototype #E3000 the LNER Board approved the order a further 79 to accommodate extension of the Electrification scheme towards London.

A number of the class, designated EE2/2, received a special streamlined casing to run the revived streamliner services like the West Riding Ltd and the all new, all electric "The Silver Bolt" service with locomotives and coaches featuring an unpainted polished steel exterior.

EF1 (E4000-E4199) 4500hp 2-E-2.

taking what he'd learnt from Europe, J.F.Harrison set to work designing a totally unique heavy freight electric locomotive with the aim of producing as much power and traction as possible, what resulted was a 4-10-4 monster of a heavy frieght locomotive with five 900hp electric motors driving ten 4ft 6in driving wheels, to reduce the chance of individuals wheels slipping they were connected by external cranks.

as with the EE2, the bodywork was mostly designed by EE to try and bring some level of uniformity among the larger classes of locomotives, this time the bodywork, specifically the cab and nose, was based on the DEM3.
Last edited by Nova on Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nova

LNER: Post-1960s Ideas

Post by Nova »

The following post is merely to put down a few ideas that do not directly fit in with the layout, though I may represent them in model form at some point, these points in history are inspired by actual history of other countries.

In 1973 the Big four celebrated their 50th anniversaries with a number of events, including locomotive parades, mock exchange trials and even some locomotives, like the LNER's DEM2s, being repainted into their respective constituent liveries as "heritage units" (see Norfolk Southern's Heritage Fleet as a real life example of this)

In the mid-late 1970s the LNER began to look into the advantages of 25kv-AC being used by the LMS as opposed to their current DC power, following successful tests on the Doncaster-Cleethorpes line using a small number of rebuilt DEM2s converted to AC electric power the board gave the go-ahead to begin preparations for re-energising large sections of the network in strategic steps with a number of electric locomotives being converted as they came in for heavy overhaul. The last DC section was re-energised in the mid 80s.

in 1983 the decision was taken to withdraw the remaining operational steam locomotives, by this stage mostly aging B1s and O1s, A1 & A2s and Harrison's fleet of 8-coupled locomotives, from active service. Ever-proud of its heritage the LNER retained a number of notable steam locomotives for preservation, with the some being overhauled and allocated to York as part of a heritage fleet to run railtours, meaning the LNER never completely abandoned steam power. examples of this fleet include:

Peppercorn A1 #144 King's Courier, often reserved for royal train duties.
Peppercorn A2 #525 A.H.Peppercorn
Gresley A3 #2749 Papyrus, reverted to the condition it was in when it achieved 108mph
Gresley A4 #4468 Mallard, externally reverted to 1938 condition
Gresley A10 #4472 Flying Scotsman, reverted to the condition it was in when it achieved 100mph
Thompson B1 #1000 Springbok
Harrison I1 #200 J.F.Harrison
Harrison T2/1 #621 City of York
Gresley V2 #800 Green Arrow.
In addition Harrison T2/2 Glenfinnan, Gresley K4 #1996 Lord of the Isles and Peppercorn K1 #2001 were allocated to the West Highland Line on tourist duties.

A number of locomotives were also set aside for static display:

The Peppercorn A1s named after pre-grouping companies displayed at York in mock versions of their namesakes liveries.

Gresley A3 #2743/89 was sent to York Museum for static display as the first of the A3s.

Gresley A4s #2509 Silver Link and #7 Sir Nigel Gresley are preserved at different locations, #2509 in preserved in York in 1935 condition. #7 stands on display on a covered plinth in the town of Netherseal, standing guard over the town where Gresley is buried. The commonwealth A4s were all gifted to their respective countries.

Gresley A10 #1470 Great Northern was rebuilt back to its original condition in full GNR colours and following a final publicity run from London to York to mark the end of regular steam was taken to York Railway Museum for permanent display alongside the A1s. Though in recent years there have been rumours of returning her to steam in time for her 100th birthday in 2022 :wink:

Gresley P2 #2001 Cock 'o the North was also reverted back to it's original condition and towed dead, though mechanically operational, to York museum for static display

Thompson A2/3 #500 Edward Thompson, being the hallmark of a turbulent and controversial chapter in the LNER 's history, was nearly sent for scrap, however at the last moment the management had a change of heart. So #500 was overhauled, repainted and drove under power one last time to York museum for static display.

Gresley U1 #9999 was withdrawn from service and towed to Manchester MOSI, where it now sits alongside alongside the African Garratt and the LMS Garratt

Locomotives named after towns, villages or cities were generally gifted to their namesakes, standing on plinths outside the station or town hall.

This list doesn't include privately preserved or pre-grouping locomotives, in this instance, excluding locomotives already mentioned, they are as with real life.

Clock O' the North
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Clock O' the North »

I like that list of preserved engines a lot. However could I make a couple of points. Firstly, BR(not that it exists in your world) did actually look into sending the Commonwealth A4s home, however only Canada took up the offer. Secondly, I'd of thought that considering the U1 still exists that there might be some other Garrets floating about :D . But in all seriousness a standard gauge Double Prairie would look good on a heavy freight train external to the electrified network :D . And third and Final point, will in your world be any changes to the basic infrastructure, e.g.: Turntable diameters, Tunnel Heights, axle loadings, etc?
Last edited by Clock O' the North on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Clock O' the North wrote:I like that list of preserved engines a lot. However could I make a couple of points. Firstly the BR(not that it exists in your world) did actually look into sending the Commonwealth A4s home, however on Canada took up the offer. Secondly, I'd of thought that considering the U1 still exists that there might be some other Garratts floating about :D . But in all seriousness a standard gauge Double Prairie would look good on a heavy freight train external to the electrified network :D . And third and Final point, will in your world be any changes to the basic infrastructure, e.g.: Turntable diameters, Tunnel Heights, axle loadings, etc?
I won't be including Garretts as "official" classes because Harrison would most likely have been warded off from articulated locomotives by the problems of the U1. that's not to say that I won't attempt some LNER inspired Garrett's at some point.

Loading gauge wouldn't really change, at least no more than when BR electrified, any increase in locomotive weights will be largely cancelled out by the additional wheels. Turntables at principal sheds would most likely be replaced with larger ones to accommodate for the 8 coupled locomotives.

Nova

Coalby & Marblethorpe - A vision of the LNER in the 50s and 60s

Post by Nova »

The following post is filling in a little bit more with the Coalby, Marblethorpe and Yorkshire Union Railway, specifically locomotives. It’s also taken me all week to type up because i have a broken keyboard so i’m typing this with the mouse and also because I’ve had to figure out where to allocate numbers (I’ve got my own document listing all the classes that survived nationalisation where I’ll allocate numbers for projects of mine).

following the Grouping the CM&YUR was officially absorbed into the jurisdiction of the LNER, with the standard liveries and lettering being adopted. however it still retained much of it's unique character, as a result the crews of the line often put their own touches into the liveries, and other than carrying "LNER" on the tender retained much of its independence as far as operations and rolling stock was concerned. so locomotives that due to their age would have been long gone elsewhere soldered on on this unique little network (All Images are placeholder until I have the appropriate pictures):

Ex-CM&YUR locomotives.

K6 2-6-0 #1702-1719
These mixed traffic locomotives were partially designed by Robinson, hence some level of resemblance to the O4, as per an agreement with the GCR and the CM&YUR in exchange for running rights on the CM network. The CM laid down the parameters for the locomotive and Robinson and his team of draftsman did the detail work.

In time some of them were rebuilt with boilers and all-weather cabs similar to those on the D55 and later classified as K6/2.

If the locomotive has a resemblance to a certain red engine from sodor it’s because that’s exactly what it is. It’s a kit by SCC of a locomotive which was a proposed development of the L&Y class 28 (which is also available from SCC) the fact it has a passing resemblance to some of Robinson’s work is a happy coincidence that I’m taking advantage of. I’ll be in talks with the guy who does the kits to make the variations of the mogul that will feature on the layout available for general purchase, if that plan falls through I’ll simply get the bog standard model and rely on some good old kit bashing.

D55 4-4-0 #2621-2635
Image copyright to SCC models @ Shapeways:https://www.shapeways.com/designer/sparkshot

25 of these locomotives were built around the turn of the Century by Sharp Stewart & Co. who built a lot a broadly similar 4-4-0s, they had a boiler pressure of 175psi and a wheel diameter of 6ft. By the 1946 renumbering there was just 15 left, so they were numbered between classes D16 and D10. The boiler used on this class became something of a standard on the CM due to its simplicity of construction and reliability, with locomotives transferred to the line being rebuilt with this type of boiler to speed up overhauls at the main locomotive works in Marblethorpe.

The model being used for this class is a freelance version of the Furness Railway K2, which was built by Sharp Stuart & Co. though there is a Dutch locomotive that is a dead ringing for this particular model except for the cab having single side windows rather than doubles. The cab also gives something of an NER quality to it.

C17 4-4-2T #7700-7724
This class of atlantic tanks along with the D55 form the mainstay of Ex-CM&YUR passenger locomotives.

For these I’ll be following a conversion I saw where one skilled modeller converted a Lank-tank (Bachmann L&Y 2-4-2) into an Atlantic that IMO actually looks better than the original Lank-tank

J42 0-6-0T #7725-7749
These long wheelbase tank engines tank engines were built for the purposes of trip-shunting and pick up goods. originally they had the bunker seen in the above picture, but this was found to rather limit their range to the extent where a driver slowing the train on the approach to a station and shouting to the station master for a couple bucketfuls of coal became a common sight in their early days. They were all rebuilt with larger coal bunkers before the grouping.

J43 0-6-0T #7750-7768
These were built to handle shunting duties in all the major stations, though it’s not uncommon to see them occasionally handling a stock move from one station to another.

J44 0-6-0 #7769
This unique locomotive was essentially the pet project of trainees at the small locomotive works in Marblethorpe, built in the back of the works in their spare time using all the spare parts they could find, much to the annoyance of the works foreman. The end result used the spare boiler from a J42, chassis, wheels, cylinders and motion from a J43 that had been set aside as spare, cab from a D55 and the tender from a K6. The end result worked surprisingly well and following tests (a quick run up and down the yard) was painted in lined apple green, christened “Patch” (as in Patchwork) complete with name plates made from wood, and put to work as the works shunter, though it would occasionally venture out with a permanent way train or to collect fresh materials for the works from Coalby.

Classes U2-U5 #7770-7800
These American geared locomotives of various types were bought by the variety of mines, quarries and lumber companies operating on the network, with the grouping they passed into the hands of the LNER and became more widely used, not just shunting their respective industries but also taking the trains from the mines, quarries or timber companies to the exchange sidings at Coalby. They remained unclassified until 1946 when Thompson classified them as U classes due to being articulated designs.

There existed 10 of each of the major types of american geared locomotives:
7770-7779: “U2” Two truck Heisler type locomotives.
7780-7789: “U3” Two truck Climax type locomotives.
7790-7799: “U4” Two truck Shay type locomotives nicknamed “Sidewinders

U5 #7799 deserves some special mention, it was designed and built by Gresley to serve as a banker on the climb out of Coalby. He took the Shay principal and added his own touch, namely Walschaerts valve gear on the outer cylinders and his own Gresley-Holcroft motion to drive the middle cylinder. It also utilized the boiler and firebox from a J50.

In addition to these classes a number of locomotives from other areas were transferred including the GC, GN and M&GNJR.
Last edited by Nova on Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cctransuk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by cctransuk »

Am I the only one wondering what they're growing in Lincolnshire nowadays; what the locals are doing with it; and why those Lincolnshire Constabulary chaps who are are always on the tele. haven't put a stop to it long ago?

Yours, bemused,
John Isherwood.
Nova

Post by Nova »

cctransuk wrote:Am I the only one wondering what they're growing in Lincolnshire nowadays; what the locals are doing with it; and why those Lincolnshire Constabulary chaps who are are always on the tele. haven't put a stop to it long ago?

Yours, bemused,
John Isherwood.
I originally hail from London, actually.

I just have a good imagination and the determination to see my vision come to life 8)

plus I've never seen the concept taken any further than simple discussion and I don't have a layout yet so I thought if I'm starting from scratch then why not

My high functioning-Autism may also play a part I suspect :roll:

Nova

Post by Nova »

just a slight update in the grand scheme of things in regards to the layout.

Planning for the layout is mostly done but work won't be able to start on building the layout until my shed is done, which is a case of my step-dad having the time and money to finish insulation wiring and fitting plasterboard, which will probably be in summer. even then I'm tempted to wait till Peco's bullhead rang in more available.

I'll probably also make a post when I get to painting the exterior when the weather improves, I'm thinking LNER style green and cream :D

I've been stripping some wagons that I have lying about, hopefully I'll be able to obtain some paint and transfers in the coming months and crack on with those at my local club.

I've also been contemplating conversion methods for converting Harrison 8-coupled designs.

For the I1 I'll use the Chassis from the P2, the first batch (200-240 will have the same front as the P2, making it closer to the original general arrangement of the 1946 4-8-2. however, I'll need to remove the smokebox and insert an additional "section", ie the space between two bands, and join them back up, alter the front of the chassis, push the cylinders forward, fit and fit a 4 wheel bogie. the biggest hurdle would be extending the chassis block but I have a theory that includes locating pins and cutting up a chassis

for the I1/2 the chassis will be extended as above, the difference being I'll cannibalize the bodyshell from a Hornby Tornado, extending the boiler as necessary though working out where will be tricky.

for the 4-8-4 I'll use the chassis from the O1 as a starting point, extend both front and back with a W1-style compound truck and fit a modified Tornado bodyshell sans smoke deflectors. I'm also tempted to cobble together a 2-8-4 tank engine version as a successor to the ivatt 0-8-2t

the T2 4-8-0 will use the K1 as a starting point, I'll extend the chassis in an as yet to be decided manner then extend the front similarly to with the I1. I'll probably make a parallel boilered version as I don't feel confident in making a tapered/conical boiler at this moment.

Nova

Post by Nova »

The following are less glamorous classes built under the tenure of Harrison, this is where we start to get to numbers of existing locomotives being reused. Harrison's policy in this regard was replacing all of the worn out designs with only one or two standard classes to fill a particular role.

J95 0-6-0 #4000-5999
This was essentially a standardised version of the J39 built to replace the countless clapped out 0-6-0 tender engines of varying levels of power and reliability with a single class. they were initially numbered from 4000-4104, after that they were built and numbered as older locomotives were withdrawn and scrapped, so beyond the first 105 they weren't built numerically. to make things simpler I will only be modeling examples of the first 105.

J96 0-6-0t #7000-7499, later 6000-6999 & 8000-8999
similar story to the J95 but a tank engine version to handle shunting, it has some visual resemblance to a J50. at the time represented on the layout 7000-7092 have been built.

L2 2-6-4 #9050-9900
when Peppercorn succeeded Thompson the problems with the L1 were well known, most notably the drive wheels being too small, so the order was scaled back to 50 locomotives and he began work on an improved design based on the L1, with said class being re-allocated to work goods trains in the london area. Peppercorn died before the design could be finished so the final touches were finalised by Harrison. This new class was largely similar to the L1 but had driving wheels increased from 5ft 2in to 5ft 8in, a 250 psi tapered boiler and three cylinders with rotary valve gear.

M1 2-8-4T #7801-7840
this class was essentially a tank engine version of the O2 (see below) to work goods trains in the Yorkshire coalfields like the Ivatt 0-8-2 beforehand.

O2 2-8-0 #3000-3499
This was an altered design of the Thompson O1 built to replace the aging 0-8-0s, O3s and worn out Austerity types. including internal ones to cure the problems with cracking frames and fireboxes, a 250 psi tapered boiler, three cylinders rather than two, a revised running board and rotary valve gear.

R1 2-8-6T #7841-7880
this was a development of the M1 in an effort to improve coal and water capacity, as a result it was the only class in the UK to utilise a 6 wheel trailing bogie.

In order to find a tapered boiler to fit to some of the locos I'll be butchering some LMS and GWR locomotives :twisted: . The 8F for the O2, L2, M1 and R1 and the 2251 Class 0-6-0 for the J95 and J96. Obviously I'll be making them look suitably LNER and fitting new smokebox doors

James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

I'm finding this thread fascinating; then again I'm a sucker for alternate history so it would be odd if I didn't find it interesting.

Do keep it up, I'm looking forward to seeing some of these neverwazzas take shape.
Nova

Post by Nova »

James Harrison wrote:I'm finding this thread fascinating; then again I'm a sucker for alternate history so it would be odd if I didn't find it interesting.

Do keep it up, I'm looking forward to seeing some of these neverwazzas take shape.
Thank you, I'll try my best. I may do a brief post outlining the general affairs of the "other three" just so people have an idea of how they progress, nowhere near as in depth as with the LNER, but it would be a shame to leave them out I feel.

plus two of my current projects are diesels for the GWR and LMS, with the risk that they will be done before I can get anything LNER related done. Though following the discussion over on the POW thread that's bound to change.