Haywood - Updated Locomotive roster

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Coalby & Marblethorpe - A vision of the LNER in the 50s and 60s

Post by Nova »

Slight alteration: rolling stock will NOT be 100% converted to buckeyes. In real life, as it were. instead kadees will be used purely for operational value, otherwise I would have gone with scale-links
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

You might have seen on my own pages about how I cut up the chassis for my own 4-8-2s, but in case you missed it here's a quick reminder (made from Hornby A1/3/4 blocks):-
Attachments
Chassis modification.jpg
Chassis modification 2.jpg
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Manxman1831 wrote:You might have seen on my own pages about how I cut up the chassis for my own 4-8-2s, but in case you missed it here's a quick reminder (made from Hornby A1/3/4 blocks):-

yikes... :shock:

the P2's chassis is closer to how I want the I1/I2 to end up; 6 foot drivers with caprotti valves, hence why I'm only going to be altering ahead of the driving wheels.

but good for you for proving it can be done. what process do you use for joining the separate pieces together?
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Superglue, with filler pieces to make up for the thickness of the saw blade - usually 0.5mm or thereabouts.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Updates to the diesel locomotive post as of 16/1/17, these should be the final classes that I add to the list

DEF1 "Chopper" (D1150-D1377)
in addition to the DEM1 the LNER needed a diesel locomotive designed purely for frieght work, for this they tasked English Electric with producing its own version of the DEM1. what resulted was the above single cab Bo-Bo. The distinctive beat of their engine earned them the nickname "chopper".

D1175 will be the first example I do, as the BR equivalent, 20 026, was a resident to Frodingham shed, or it was there often enough to get photographed. the model will be largely unaltered except for the inclusion of DCC sound.

DEF2 "Tractors" (D3325-D3624)
In addition to the DEF1 the LNER ordered 300 EE Co-Co diesel-electrics to handle heavy frieght work with a similar power rating to the DEM2, but with a reduced top speed of 60mph.

the first example I do of this class will be another supposed Frodingham engine, this time D3355, IRL 37 031. this initial model will simply be a repaint of a center headcode 37 with the running number in the headcode boxes.

however for subsequent models I will be utilising a custom made set of front pieces which will be made by cannibalising the nose-end of a lamp-disk class 40 with the bufferbeam and fairing of an original condition class 37 and turning it into a latex mold to make resin copies with, which I may make available if people show interest.

DEM3 "Whistler" (D4000-D4199)
Though the most prestigious top link work on the ECML was covered by Bulldogs and Deltics, it still needed to provide a mixed traffic locomotive to handle the bulk of freight and work whilst electrification took place. Rather than order yet more DEM2s it was decided a larger locomotive was needed to fill in the role of steam classes such as the V2 and Thompson & Peppercorn's A2s, thus the board of the LNER, with the success of the Deltics, tasked English Electric to design and build a locomotive of 2000hp or more whilst maintaining a high route availability. in response English Electric built ten 2000hp 1-Co-Co-1s and delivered them to the Great Eastern for testing, following which the LNER ordered a further 190 with an increase in power to 2500hp to assist in maintaining heavy loads at speed and the original ten were subsequently re-engined to reflect this.

for clarification the DEF classes will be painted black with red lining in a similar fashion to the class 20(s) that Pete Waterman owned for a while, but with the engine panels on the class 20 individually lined to make them stand out

Nova

Post by Nova »

the following is some musings on a potential experimental locomotive design

Harrison W2 4-6-4 Cab-forward
One of the well known problems with traditional steam locomotives was the cab having to be placed at the rear of the locomotive, restricting vision. Although this worked to a satisfactory level it did become a problem in tunnels, where smoke would fill the cab.

there have been many attempts over the years to overcome this problem. Most notably with the Southern Pacifics Cab Forward Mallets.

Another less well known attempt to rectify the problem was in Italy, with their Gr670 "Mucca" 4-6-0 CabForward Compound

Full information can be found here: http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCO ... ly/460.htm

ever since discovering this locomotive I've been somewhat inspired by it to apply it to British design practice.

what I've come up with is a 4-6-4 based on the B1, with an additional bogie supporting the extended cab. The bunker will be placed above the firebox and extending along the roof of the cab and coming down on the fireman's side like a half-saddle, consequently the safety valves have been moved to the dome to make room for the bunker. The tender will be a group standard tender converted to a water carrier.

I'm tempted to have it as a rebuild of one of the Thompson B1s used as a test bed for various experiments, including a conversion to electric firing as tried by the swiss.

Nova

Post by Nova »

One thing I plan to address at some point is the state of the other three railway companies, though obviously to a lesser extent than the LNER. mostly the occasional locomotive and accompanying coaches as a side project to run at my local club's running nights. my main focus other than the LNER will be the GWR and LMS. for the sake of completeness I'll include all three.

In the southern Railway's case they will push for total 3rd rail electrification, with EMUs handling passenger work and locomotives like the HA to handle freight work, with Electro-diesels being used to rescue failed units.

The GWR decided to adopt the Swiss 15kv system, with Diesel Hydraulic locomotives being adapted to hold the network over until electrification is complete. Diesel locomotives are as with BR's western region, with the livery being coach brown and in the case of the Hymek and Western classes the window surrounds are painted cream to lend some uniformity between the diesel locomotives and coaches. Electric locomotives are similar to swiss designs, most notably Crocodiles to handle freight work.

the LMS would push for dieselisation, breaking from the rest of the railway companies who were pushing for electrification in some form or another.

Diesel locomotives included a more powerful production version of the LMS twins utilizing a 2,500 bhp Sulzer engine and the 1-Co-Co-1 "Peak" class, both utilizing a similar bodystyle to the Twins.

in addition to this it chose striking new liveries for passenger and mixed traffic engines. For passenger locomotives of 5P or higher a simplified version of the livery used on maroon streamlined locomotives before WW2. maroon with polished brass boiler bands and a thick gold or yellow band running from the cabside along the tender, with letters and numbers located within this band and painted maroon, to create contrast.

For mixed traffic locomotives over 5MT maroon & gold is replaced with black & silver.

This band is in line with a similar gold/yellow band level with the windows on coaches. this image should give you an idea of its placement

for diesel loco the livery is maroon and gold, with the band placed at a similar level mentioned above, they will also feature a striped pattern on the fronts similar to in the image below

this is admittedly heavily based on Wisconsin Central's livery, however I'll also be experimenting with different patterns, including the two bands sweeping down and merging similar to the Coronation Scot. In any case if anyone objects I'll be citing rule 1 of railway modelling

Nova

Post by Nova »

Update on the plan for the two "Bulldog" (EMD Diesel locomotives) classes DEE1 and DEM2.

The DEM2 is still being sourced, as the version I require needs lower fairings and the end gangway doors:
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/zlAAAOSwq ... s-l640.jpg
as can be seen from the above picture models do exist of this variant as the DSB class MY. but I have yet to find one for sale.

the DEE1 will be based on the EMD class E7A, of which a model is available from Broadway Limited Imports (BLI), and I've received assurances from my friends in the USA that BLI models are in a class of their own in terms of quality, rather helpfully they have an unpainted version: http://www.broadway-limited.com/images/ ... 55of12.png

To meet my needs I'll be commissioning a friend of mine experienced in 3d design to produce a set of parts to make them suitable for the layout.

for the DEM2 I'll be commissioning alternative LNER pattern buffers (suggestions welcome) and buffer mountings to allow them to be mounted in scale with OO proportions, an extra center headlight, number boards like on the E7 and fairings to be mounted below the buffers.

for the E7 I'll be commissioning buffers for the front and rear, again LNER pattern. An end door with a lowered center headlight and side lights.

of course I understand that certain details such as doors will be a bit small for OO scale, which is why when I feel confident in my abilities I'm going to be creating correctly proportioned bodyshells that have a bit more familial resemblance

Nova

Post by Nova »

Another update. Expect a lot of posts like these until I can at least get some red and black paint and transfers for coal wagons.

As this layout will be representing a timeframe all the way from 1946 all the way to 1969/70, I thought I'd throw in some variety to push some of the locomotives and rollingstock to the 1960s. the idea being that in 1960 they changed locomotive liveries slightly.

Metal bodied coaches were repainted into green and cream, with stock allocated to streamlined trains being painted in a livery similar to the "Coronation" livery.

Steam locomotives retained their respective liveries, with the exception that the numbers shifted from shaded gold/red to flat white and "LNER" was replaced with the monogram logo. Diesel Locomotives were all repainted in lined engine green (with DEE1 repainted to Garter blue)

also been playing about with the number of diesel locomotives, increasing the numbers of some classes:

300 DES3 "Janus"

250 DEP1 "Baby Deltic"

100 DEE2 "Deltic"

400 DEM3 "Whistlers"

as a final note my list of upcoming locomotives for the coming year, both off the shelf purchases and kitbashes are currently as follows:

Peppercorn A2 in LNER livery, which ever one is available on Ebay next month, a case of NEEDING a passenger locomotive in LNER livery as soon as possible that doesn't require any work, the A3 can come at a later stage.

Thompson O1 in LNER black, again, a case of needing a locomotive that doesn't require any work. the current O1 I have has an issue with the tender, my fault admittedly, but that one will find use in the form of a donor to the 4-8-4 project

Thompson B1 in LNER lined black

English Electric DEF1 "Chopper" #D1175 in pre-1960 livery, weathered, preferably the Bachmann version with tablet catchers

English Electric DEM3 "Whistler" #D4136 in post-1960 livery, to add some veriety.

on the subject of weathering I'm going to be using a variety of techniques, but I'm tempted to experiment with methods used by wargamers with oil paints

Nova

Post by Nova »

small update, but at the same time a big development in regards to operations.

I've been playing around with google maps, using a feature called "my maps" to mark out where the Coalby, Marblethorpe and Yorkshire Union railway would have actually run. I now have some "concrete" features as it were.

Coalby Junction is located just north of Thorpe Marsh on the stretch of line leading to Selby, with the supposed location close to a small parish by the name of Haywood.

From there then line proceeds in a steep north-westerly direction for a few miles before reachign a road marked on google maps a "common lane", with "Stubs grange" being a notable marker, this will form the lone intermediate station between Coalby and Marblethorpe, serving the village of Walden stubbs even though said village also has another line running straight through it enroute to Knottingley. as a result this is a mere halt, with a 15mph limit approaching the sharp S-bend (sure to make for an interesting exhibition layout)

from here the line proceeds north alongside the A19 (Selby road) for about a mile or so before reaching Marblethorpe yard, located in a field opposite Leverett Garm Farm. here there will be a small town that would have been created by the railway workers following the initial construction of the line. with a small frieght yard, engine shed and works. of note there is the interestingly named lane of "Neville Pits land" just to the east, maybe this could be the site of a fictional coal mile, nothing major of course, but large enough to necessitate 15 wagons worth of coal per day plus spoil and waste from the mining process and trains coming in with things such as wooden braces for the underground tunnels.

From Marblethorpe the line continues following Selby road until we reach the village of Whitley, where the mainline curves around the town before heading north-east towards the nearby canal and following that on a rising gradient before crossing over and crossing the east-west mainline at Whitley Bridge station, turning that into a two-level station.

from there the line continues in a winding route north before joining up with the two mainlines at Colton junction, with CM&YUR trains having running rights over NER track from there to York station

back at Whitley a line branches off and runs ALONG Selby road, from this point on being operated by locomotive modified for tramway running, including a lone veteran Ex-ROD Robinson 2-8-0. the tramway follows the road towards Womersley Limestone Quarry, a real lime stone quarry that doesn't actually appear to be rail served, though I may be wrong. in addition the tramway continues north serving the citizens of the spread out village with a turnaround terminus on the northernmost reach of the tramway.

though incomplete, you can view the area I've highlighted here, if it comes up with a world view, then click on the marker labled "Coalby and Marblethorpe":
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BHqr- ... sp=sharing

I do intend to add some more lines, including branch lines to the surrounding towns in the area, but I feel it's complete enough to share here

I also intend to model parts or the tramway as an exhibition layout, I even have ideas for CM&YUR tramway stock involving lowmacs or Loriots and standard wagon types modified to fit in the wells

Nova

Coalby & Marblethorpe - A vision of the LNER in the 50s and 60s

Post by Nova »

I've been mulling over some ideas for post war streamliners, and here's what I've got so far.

the prewar streamliners are pressed back into service with refurbished coaching stock. some deserve some mention here, like the Silver Jubilee, for this, DEE1s are allocated with an unpainted-polished look.

in addition to this J.F.Harrison took advantage of the publicity brought by the I1 4-8-2s and has the engines named after British peaks semi-streamlined in a similar fashion to the P2s and allocated on a service called "The Mountaineer": traveling from Manchester, over the Woodhead Line, Via Doncaster and northwards along the ECML to Newcastle, west to Carlisle and then along the Waverley route to Edinburgh. This service is less about setting records from A to B and more about demonstrating the power of the I1s and their ability to maintain speed whilst climbing gradients.

there will also be a service run exclusively by DEE1s, though I haven't fully decided on what

Nova

Post by Nova »

slight update regarding the number of Ex-CM&YUR locomotives. when I mapped out the route a while back it never occurred to me that having 20 something locos of each class on what is essentially a 20 mile (maximum, I'm sure it's really less than 15 miles) "bridge-line" would be...overkill.

so I've been playing about with the numbers, and got the numbers of CM&YUR designs down to about 20 locos total

the K6 now numbers 5 locos: 1702-1706

the Sharpe-Stuart & Co. D55 now numbers 5 locos: 2621-2625

the C17 atlantic tank now numbers 3 locos 7503-7505

classes J42-44 occupy 7 locos: 7700 - 7706

the idea involving the geared locos is also being, for the most part, dropped, I'll probably just have a single Heisler working the coal mine, and another geared loco of some description working the quarry bringing stone trains through the town

Nova

Post by Nova »

slight update,seen a video and the associated forum posts which has made me re-consider how I was going to go about making the chassis for the 4-8-0, 4-8-2 and 4-8-4 locomotives

A user of another forum has made a Bullied "what-if" 4-8-2 based on the merchant navy class with a 3d-printed chassis. you can see the video where he explains the whole process below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHwWWPr_BF0

obviously there seems to be a problem with the riding of the rear axle cause quite a violent bucking motion, other people might be able to put up with performance like that, I wont

I had been prepared to buy a load of A2s, O1s, B1s and K3s and use bits a pieces to make the three 8 coupled monsters, but the above has shown that there are certainly other options available to me. ones that result in the ability to create more that one chassis consistently.

I can either use diecast chassis by extending them, and that's still a viable option. Or I could use 3D printing as above.

Or one of the two aforementioned options and then make a silicone mould with which to make solid resin chassis, so if I want another 4-8-2 or 4-8-4 I can simply cast a new chassis, finish the casting to make it run smooth as silk then make a bodyshell to match.

which would also open the possibility for some form of kit so others could have their own LNER 8 coupled locos without so much bother.

maybe I'm getting ahead of myself as usual, but I can't help but see some kind of potential with making a chassis that's easily replicated without resorting to expensive casting equipment

All thumbs
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by All thumbs »

The link to the Bulleid 4-8-2 was very interesting. However, if I was trying today for consistency over 3 eight-coupled chassis with a hint of LNER design then I think I would look to pick up 3 Hornby Railroad P2s cheaply off one of the auction sites. You would also end up with 3 eight wheel tenders and whatever else could be useful e.g. bogies, cabs etc. OK so Caprotti valve gear may not be your standard but replacing it with something more Walschaerts-like would be relatively much more straightforward and time-effective than designing and constructing a 3D chassis from scratch.

Just my tuppence worth.
Be gentle! Returning to the hobby after more than 20 years away...
Nova

Post by Nova »

All thumbs wrote:The link to the Bulleid 4-8-2 was very interesting. However, if I was trying today for consistency over 3 eight-coupled chassis with a hint of LNER design then I think I would look to pick up 3 Hornby Railroad P2s cheaply off one of the auction sites. You would also end up with 3 eight wheel tenders and whatever else could be useful e.g. bogies, cabs etc. OK so Caprotti valve gear may not be your standard but replacing it with something more Walschaerts-like would be relatively much more straightforward and time-effective than designing and constructing a 3D chassis from scratch.

Just my tuppence worth.
except the three classes will all have different wheel diameters.

the 4-8-0 is based on a proposed locomotive derived from the K1 or K4, but I can't recall which, so a mixed traffic loco non-the less. with an additional axle hole and rear section joined on.

the 4-8-2 is going to be based on the Bachmann A2 with the cartazzi cut off and the rear axle + cartazzi from a second donor chassis attached in its place.

finally the 4-8-4 is going to use the Hornby O1 chassis as its basis, with a rear bogie similar to that of rear-most bogie on the C9 4-4-4-4. then the front will have the front of a B1, either Hornby or Bachmann, joined on.

all three of these are going to be tests in trying to fuse sections of diecast together. I wonder if I can reinforce the joins with thin brass rod, it'll also help to locate each section.