Potential RTR chassis to use as a base for a scratch built/kitbashed Raven EE1 spotted

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Potential RTR chassis to use as a base for a scratch built/kitbashed Raven EE1 spotted

Post by Nova »

http://www.hornbyinternational.com/en/r ... r2462.html

there are a few inaccuracies such as the sandbox arraignments, however I feel it's a better start than nothing at all
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: Potential RTR chassis to use as a base for a scratch built/kitbashed Raven EE1 spotted

Post by markindurham »

Interesting. That's well on the way, isn't it?

http://www.lner.info/locos/Electric/ee1.php
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Potential RTR chassis to use as a base for a scratch built/kitbashed Raven EE1 spotted

Post by mick b »

Judith Edge do a 4mm kit .
Nova

Post by Nova »

mick b wrote:Judith Edge do a 4mm kit .
yes but you also have to build the wheels because of their distinctive spokes, which I don't fancy attempting when I've never built a loco kit in my life. this model also seems to have the same type of wheels.

and from what I've heard from people in my local club Judith Edge kits are not recommended for the beginner.

I'm not experienced with brass construction but I do have experience with building using styrene sheet (admittedly for something not railway related) I'd rather get one of these and build a body to match from styrene sheet, the running board seems to be separate from the body shell so it shouldn't be to hard to use that running board as a guide for size
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Yes but this is HO scale , would the wheels be the correct size for OO ?

I agree re the Edge kit wouldn't be for a beginner. But if you want correct 4mm OO scale that would be the only way to get a correct model, unless the rtr chassis has the correct size.
Nova

Post by Nova »

mick b wrote:Yes but this is HO scale , would the wheels be the correct size for OO ?

I agree re the Edge kit wouldn't be for a beginner. But if you want correct 4mm OO scale that would be the only way to get a correct model, unless the rtr chassis has the correct size.
I'm of the opinion that as long as it looks right it is right, i don't slave over making sure that every rivet is where it should or that the wheels are exactly the right diameter.

and from my experience you generally can't notice any inaccuracies between OO and HO unless you have two of the same subject in each scale sat next to each other, "fish-out-of-water" effect and all that.

I take much more enjoyment out of taking a pre-existing chassis, that whilst it may have slight inaccuracies, works well and adapting it for a locomotive that isn't readily produced, rather than slave for weeks over a brass kit that might not necessarily work at the end of the process and thus put me off loco kit building.

besides if someone complains that the wheels are two small then I'll simply tell them that it's representing the EE1 close to a tire change. :P

markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

I have to say that Nova's attitude here has a lot of merit, given his admitted skills, preferences and attitude. I for one would be interested to see how he gets on, and you never know, perhaps it will spur him on to try other things, even perhaps a JE kit, in the future 8)

Let's face it, many of us started off doing similar things - modifying RTR stock in order to try and make it at least look something like what you wanted; indeed some folk still do :D
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Indeed Nova has a point that I feel many miss with regards to modelling, if it looks right, then it is right. That of scale, I remember when Graham Farrish in the late 80's introduced an N guage Deltic. There were these two characters in Northumbria Models [remember that shop?], with one of these scale rulers. Where upon the systematicaly demolished the model as it was [in N gauge] 6 inches to short length ways, 2 inches to wide and 3 inches to tall, so QED wasn't a Deltic and Farrish were conning people! Thing is without the scale ruler it was impossible to say the measurements were wrong......
Last edited by 2392 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

Northumbria Models? There's a name from the past! I remember it well 8)
Nova

Post by Nova »

2392 wrote:Indeed Nova has a point that I feel many miss with regards to modelling, if it looks right, then it is right. That of scale, I remember when Grahm Farrish in the late 80's introduced an N guage Deltic. There were these two characters in Northumbria Models [remember that shop?], with one of these scale rulers. Where upon the systematicaly demolisted the model as it was [in N gauge] 6 inches to short length ways, 2 inches to wide and 3 inches to tall, so QED wasn't a Deltic and Farrish were conning people! Thing is without the scale ruler it was impossible to say the measurements were wrong......
sounds like they never even contemplated the process behind mass producing a model. and if they go around with a scale ruler measuring models for accuracy then I probably wouldn't even give them the time of day

markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

Nova wrote:
sounds like they never even contemplated the process behind mass producing a model. and if they go around with a scale ruler measuring models for accuracy then I probably wouldn't even give them the time of day
Sadly there are still a few folk who are, well, obsessed with even the most minor of details :(

But don't let that sort of attitude put you off this challenge that you've found for yourself 8)

Of course, the MOST important thing to sort out, right from the outset, is the livery... :wink: :lol: :lol:
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

markindurham wrote:...Let's face it, many of us started off doing similar things - modifying RTR stock in order to try and make it at least look something like what you wanted; indeed some folk still do.
This was one classic path into making your own models when very little could be got RTR. It teaches you things too. Take a RTR J72 and it's got most of the parts on it which - supplemented with some sheet material to produce the different cab and tank side profiles - are required to cobble together a recognisable GER J67/69. Now why would that be then?

Maybe build the NER electric as the 'production version' one of the improvements on which was smaller driving wheels...
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

I think there was an outline for a smaller-wheeled version, which I will try to look up later.

I like the NER electric locomotives. I had hoped to find space on my new railway for a small section of OH and one of the Shildon electrics, but unless I have a brainwave in the next few days I don't think I'm going to manage it. Never mind! A future project perhaps.

As regards 'model bashing' something to reflect a different prototype than the one originally intended, then what can sometimes seem an attractive path can ending up being problematical. On the other hand, it can be a good learning tool.

Unless the changes required are relatively easy to achieve then I suspect, from my recent experience, it might be easier to scratch build.

Having said all that, I am contemplating something quite heretical at the moment........
Nova

Post by Nova »

markindurham wrote:
Nova wrote:
Of course, the MOST important thing to sort out, right from the outset, is the livery... :wink: :lol: :lol:
LNER post-war, of course, and the type of layout I'm doing will justify using it as a regular ECML performer

See here for a full explanation of what I'm talking about: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

Nova

Post by Nova »

drmditch wrote:
Unless the changes required are relatively easy to achieve then I suspect, from my recent experience, it might be easier to scratch build.

Having said all that, I am contemplating something quite heretical at the moment........
I'll be leaving the chassis virtually untouched besides paint, and I'll be making the bodyshell, which is rather simple as far as locomotive designs go, from scratch.