Ex-Kitmaster (Dapol) Brake van to an LNER LWB toad?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Ex-Kitmaster (Dapol) Brake van to an LNER LWB toad?

Post by Nova »

I currently have a Dapol OO brake van unassembled at home and I'm wondering what, if any, work is required to convert it to an LNER long wheelbase Toad
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Ex-Kitmaster (Dapol) Brake van to an LNER LWB toad?

Post by jwealleans »

On my workbench, November 2010, starts here.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

First off it's ex-Airfix and second it gets the full treatment by Geoff Kent in 'The 4mm Wagon Part 3', Wild Swan.

Remember too that there was more than one variant of the LNER Toad 'D' without and then with concrete ballast (change to overall height), without and then with the small angle trussing to underframe, various positions for lamp brackets and variations to height of vacuum pipes for starters...
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Picking up on '47's point, you're better off starting with an Airfix moulding as the plastic is of much better quality. They're still very readily available.
Nova

Post by Nova »

65447 wrote:First off it's ex-Airfix
apologies, Dapol now puts Kitmaster on the packaging of most of their kits including the brake van so I assumed that it was one of the ex-Kitmaster mouldings
Remember too that there was more than one variant of the LNER Toad 'D' without and then with concrete ballast (change to overall height), without and then with the small angle trussing to underframe, various positions for lamp brackets and variations to height of vacuum pipes for starters...
I was not aware of this, my knowledge of any wagon, let alone LNER ones, is basic at best.
jwealleans wrote:On my workbench, November 2010, starts here.
thank you, though given my skill level I'll probably only shorten the foot boards and remove the concrete weights, enough so that those in the know will be able to say "that's a Toad-D, though [insert detail] isn't quite right", I've got many years ahead of me to make more attempts so I'm content to start off with the most glaring differences then add more details to subsequent versions as my skill level increases.
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

Nova

Post by Nova »

jwealleans wrote:Picking up on '47's point, you're better off starting with an Airfix moulding as the plastic is of much better quality. They're still very readily available.
I already have the Dapol one though, and neither the money nor the ability to source an airfix one,

A case of "make do and mend" if ever there was one

williewhizz
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by williewhizz »

On all matters regarding adapting and modifying freight stock, the Geoff Kent books are a quite superb first port of call. It might be said they're starting to get a bit long in the tooth now, but most of the models he works on are still around; although a few of his conversions are no longer necessary as excellent kit or R-T-R versions are now available.
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

williewhizz wrote:On all matters regarding adapting and modifying freight stock, the Geoff Kent books are a quite superb first port of call. It might be said they're starting to get a bit long in the tooth now, but most of the models he works on are still around; although a few of his conversions are no longer necessary as excellent kit or R-T-R versions are now available.
Around a quarter century since Vol 1 ... #shudders... But Geoff always intended the approach to be modular and lateral, the projects don't have to be copied literally. The techniques, once learnt, apply to more or less any wagon, and research will turn up more variations than he could possibly have covered.
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Nova wrote:
65447 wrote:
jwealleans wrote:On my workbench, November 2010, starts here.
thank you, though given my skill level I'll probably only shorten the foot boards and remove the concrete weights, enough so that those in the know will be able to say "that's a Toad-D, though [insert detail] isn't quite right", I've got many years ahead of me to make more attempts so I'm content to start off with the most glaring differences then add more details to subsequent versions as my skill level increases.
You do not have to remove the concrete weights as the LNER built many with them - a way of saving scrap metal ballast enabling it's use in the war effort. If you retain the concrete then you almost certainly also need to have the small angle trussing to the underframe. The end doors would be either solid wood - no windows in them - or later just two panes not four and, yes, shortening the footboards will create the most obvious difference between the LNER and BR versions. Either type of axlebox as long as it's not roller bearing and more slender buffers rather than the eventual OLEO type fitted by BR; it's been so long that I cannot remember exactly what was in the Airfix kit.

Whilst it is not exactly correct in all respects this TMC model, by Bachmann, will give you a very good idea of how your conversion should look: http://www.themodelcentre.com/37-529ZTMC-1/
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning from sunny Surrey,

I've just found this thread. It's interesting as I picked up a Dapol Brake van a few weeks ago and started converting it.

It is currently awaiting axleboxes, which I forgot to look for at a recent exhibition visit.

Earlswood nob