Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Atso's new loco works

Post by Atso »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:28 pmExcellent taste in locomotives and their liveries is rare, and almost entirely restricted in my experience to those of us who model the pre-1941 era on the LNER and its constituent companies.
It is unfortunately that there are not many of us that are that enlightened. :roll: :lol:
drmditch wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:59 pmSplendid models. I have a Hunt in my projects box, and if I can make mine, at twice the size, look half as good as yours I will be very pleased.
As regards Atlantic's preference as regards dates, does that mean that as my railway is basically set in 1947 my taste in models is questionable?

What a shame that no D49 made it back into LNER Green. I'll just have to pretend - or use my 'alternative' date of 1938!
Thank you for your kind words, I'm sure that your Hunt will be just splendid when complete. I'll actually be operating a somewhat fluid timeframe on my layout so I don't see why you can't justify an apple green Hunt. While primarily set in the mid to late 1930s, my own D49 will represent Lincolnshire as she was when briefly allocated to Kings Cross. This means that she'll be painted in pre 1928 livery with the number on the tender.

Likewise I've got a Union Mills D11 as a long term detailing project - another one for pre 1928 apple green (as seen being carried by Butler Henderson around 1930/1 on the ECML). Then let's not forget that the LNER played host to a GWR Castle in 1925 as well as two Southern River tanks and a King Arthur in 1928... I'm not sure I'm allowed to mention 'foreign' locomotives on this forum but they would provide something a little different so stretching the time frame over a 14 year period looks likely...
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Not a huge amount to report other than the Shire got its identity today (but no nameplates yet).

As I cannot find anyone who produces plates for Lincolnshire in N gauge, I've chosen to finish the Shire as 234 'Yorkshire' in 1930s condition.
LNER D49 Yorkshire.jpg
I also did a little more detailing on 2425 as well with the bufferbeam having finally received its number.
LNER 2425 & 234 Front Ends.jpg
Interesting to see that 2425's yellow bufferbeam numbers are much nicer that 234's - I'm considering replacing 234's front number with the same transfers as 2425's (even though they're incorrect for a green locomotive).
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Someone needs to have a chat with the Kings Cross cleaning crew about the state of 2425, it must have just finished a pretty intense turn to end up looking like this! 4744, just about in shot, looks spotless by comparison (although needing attention to her boiler bands!).

I've been experimenting with weathering and wanted to tone down the lined black on the K3. Surprisingly, I've seen photographs of 1930's locomotives that aren't far off of this but they're probably the exception rather than the rule. The photograph actually makes the locomotive look a little dirtier than it really is but I'm happy with this as a first serious attempt at weathering and I've learnt some things that will be useful when I weather the BR condition locomotives (assuming the owner wants me to).
Attachments
LNER K3 2425 Finished Web Large.jpg
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Terrible light now but below is a picture of the cosmetically just about finished 'Yorkshire'.
D49 234 Yorkshire & Tender Web Large.jpg
Steve
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Really nice work Atso, those tiny models must consume an awful lot of patience, it's difficult enough when the model's twice the size......thumbs up emoji required.

Cheers
Paul
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

nzpaul wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:55 pm Really nice work Atso, those tiny models must consume an awful lot of patience, it's difficult enough when the model's twice the size......thumbs up emoji required.

Cheers
Paul
Thank you Paul, it really depends on my mood and motivation. I cheated with the tender, having made several attempts to hand line it, and did the whole thing with Fox Transfers, carefully painting out the areas I didn't want. That was started on Wednesday, much easier but not quite as fine I think.

Looking at your C11, I don't think you're experiencing too much difficulty with the painting and lining. I don't think I'd even attempt to model those coal rails like you have. Excellent job! 8)
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

More miniature marvels. Your bodies outshine the commercial offerings on which they ride.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:06 am More miniature marvels. Your bodies outshine the commercial offerings on which they ride.
Thank you Graeme! :D It is a shame that us poor N gaugers can't get locomotive wheels...

Yorkshire now runs but needs a little more tweaking to get her running smoothly.
Attachments
Yorkshire Running! Web Large.jpg
Steve
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Yorkshire is superb Steve (not that the others aren't but the LNER rules in my house!).
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Robpulham wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:34 am Yorkshire is superb Steve (not that the others aren't but the LNER rules in my house!).
Thank you Rob. Yorkshire has been a real labour of love getting as much of the lining as possible onto it.

I returned from a lovely week in North Yorkshire on Friday. I spent a couple of hours at the Pickering show the previous Saturday and caught up with both Tony Wright and the members of the Scarborough club who let me run Yorkshire and 2425 on their North of England Line layout.

Tony also took some pictures of my locos on the layout which are shown below with his permission. I am very grateful to Tony for taking and allowing me to share his pictures and to the NoEL team for letting me run the locos and disrupt their running for Tony to photograph them.

Steve
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Superb Steve,

It's all the more creditworthy when you note the scale. - I really like the fish van too is that yours?
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Robpulham wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:25 am Superb Steve,

It's all the more creditworthy when you note the scale.
Thank you Rob, they didn't get thrown across the room trying to line them!!! :lol:
Robpulham wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:25 am I really like the fish van too is that yours?
I wish! It was stratch built by Mike Johnson who is (I think) the chairman of the Scarborough Club (who built the North of
England Line layout).

The K3 was given the fish duty while Yorkshire hauled Mike's Queen of Scots rake (part scratch built using the old Farish Pullmans as a starting point) for a couple of turns. As I was on holiday and only able to attend for a couple of hours, I didn't bring any stock with me (NEOL has more than enough stock without any further help from an outsider like me!).
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Another locomotive almost ready to enter service today. I just need to sort out why the body is sitting a little high and then hopefully it is off to a new home tomorrow (actually I want to keep it!). I hope that it's new owner likes it...
61879 just about complete.jpg
Sorry about the poor lighting conditions but it is tipping it down over here!
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

A bit of a quick and dirty modification of one of my earlier designs the K3 with thanks to Graeme King for sharing his notes on this subject with me a little while back.
GNR Cab K3.jpg
Now adapted to represent a K3/1 with GNR cab in around mid 1930's condition. Besides the GNR cab, I've also converted the K3 to right hand drive but have yet to discover if the boiler fittings had been replaced with 'standard' K3 ones by this point. I've retained the cut outs on the bufferbeam every picture I've seen of the original ten K3s in the Thirties have this feature. The loco will end up being paired with an LNER flared tender as they all appear to have lost their GNR ones by this point. All had been rebuilt with side window cabs by nationalisation.

Something to add to my list of things to print once the final part to service my printer finally arrives!
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Another CAD effort in it's initial stages. Hopefully this one will be able to fit onto a modified Farish N class chassis...
LNER V1 & V3 Body.jpg
Steve