Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

Post by Atso »

Hi all,

Just a quick (poor quality) picture of what is currently working it's way through the paint shop.
J6s Black.jpg
The coin is a ten pence piece to give an idea of the size of these.

Graeme and Jonathan, despite the number of locomotives having doubled since Saturday, there are two more on the go! These will be finished for friends in BR condition and the original CAD has been altered accordingly to better represent the later condition of the class.
Last edited by Atso on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Atso's new loco works

Post by Atso »

Better picture below
LNER J6s Black Small.JPG
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It was good to see you at the NEC. I wish we'd had more time to talk, and I wish I hadn't managed to leave my J6s and J2 at home!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:It was good to see you at the NEC. I wish we'd had more time to talk, and I wish I hadn't managed to leave my J6s and J2 at home!
It was good to see you as well, as I recall you have work to do relieving the shed foreman so no surprises there wasn't much time to talk! I wish you hadn't left your J6s and J2 at home as well! However, I did get a good look at one of your K2s and thought it really looked the business!

Hope that you are enjoying reading your bargain GNR Locomotive volume 2(?).
Steve
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Nova »

fantastic work for such a small scale
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I wondered what you'd been up to, haven't seen you on here for a while, so now we know, the J6's look good, just what Hornby should have announced at Warley :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi Manna,

There's been some problems at work which ultimately led to all of us being made redundant. There hasn't been much time for modelling for months but this is something I intend to rectify now! :)

I'm sure that, disappointment in Hornby aside, you are well able to create a J6 of your own! 8)
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Nova wrote:fantastic work for such a small scale
Thank you Nova, I'm really impressed with how the 3D printer is performing now. Tenders to follow once I've sorted out some issues with the CAD.
Steve
Nova

Post by Nova »

Atso wrote:
Nova wrote:fantastic work for such a small scale
Thank you Nova, I'm really impressed with how the 3D printer is performing now. Tenders to follow once I've sorted out some issues with the CAD.
you can count me doubly impressed if it's from a 3d printer, I assumed it was a brass or plastic kit.

might I ask what 3D printer you use?

I've been researching on 3D printers that can do fine levels of detail like that can
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi Nova,

These have been printed on a B9Creator version 1.1. The best resolution I can get is 50 micros in the xy axis and realistically 30 microns in the z axis Although the machine could theoretically print in 6 micron layers, this is not actually possible due to the limitations of the resins used.

Right I've been painting the bodies and highlighting some of the rivets. Some very cruel close up pictures, several times actual size (the model is 57mm long!)...
J6s Highlighted small.jpg
J6s Highlighted 2 small.jpg
Please note that for a change I've done no cleanup of the print lines as an experiment to see how these would come out. Tony Wright examined one at the NEC (and Atlantic3279 and Jwealleans) and couldn't see the build lines when viewed at actual size.
Steve
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'll second that - you had to look very hard to see any marks on the primed body I saw and a couple more coats of paint have probably rendered them invisible.
Nova

Post by Nova »

I'll definitely have to look into that in the future, thanks

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

These J6s seem like they're breeding! However, this one looks like its a little later in it's life than the previous two...

The differences between the 1930's condition J6s previously shown and this BR condition one include:

- Shorter chimney
- BR number plate and repositioned lamp bracket
- Step on the front of the footplate for the piston tail rods is gone
- Different style and location of boiler washout plugs at the back

A cruel close up which shows that these prints still have some print lines - these are almost invisible on this particular model from normal viewing distances and completely unnoticeable on the two that have had a few coats of paint added.
Steve
Nova

Post by Nova »

Atso wrote:These J6s seem like they're breeding! However, this one looks like its a little later in it's life than the previous two...

The differences between the 1930's condition J6s previously shown and this BR condition one include:

- Shorter chimney
- BR number plate and repositioned lamp bracket
- Step on the front of the footplate for the piston tail rods is gone
- Different style and location of boiler washout plugs at the back

A cruel close up which shows that these prints still have some print lines - these are almost invisible on this particular model from normal viewing distances and completely unnoticeable on the two that have had a few coats of paint added.
I'm becoming more and more blown away by the quality of the print, as for the print lines, suring boing over it with a fiberglass burnishing stick would help somewhat

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Thanks Nova! :D

The glass fibre brush is too aggressive I'm afraid; all I'll be doing is replacing the ever so faint print lines with rather visible scratches! Wet and dry paper is best of this, around 1500-2000 grit and only used wet. However, details such as the smoke box door are only 9.5mm (ish) diameter in N gauge and the slight stepping visible at x4 magnification in the picture about will be invisible once painted - unless taken at x4+ magnification under strong studio lights, using stacking techniques, a good quality camera and taken by somebody who knows about photography (which I don't)! :lol:

To give an indication of the overall size of some of the details; the boiler bands stand 0.1mm proud of the boiler (which is over scale I know but it looks wrong to me without them!).
Steve