Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atso's new loco works

Post by Dave »

Very impressive Steve, especially considering the scale you model in.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Thanks Dave! I've been enjoying you wagon scratch builds!

Ok, for those of you who are sick of seeing the various incarnations of the loco end of the J6, I've got a new item...

Hot off the printer, roughly separated from the supports and a quick squirt of primer... Due to the funny angle I had to print at, I think this one will need a couple of spots touching up with some Mr Surfacer filler.
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

What's not to like with a GN tender :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Given Doncaster's known/suspected partial rebuilding habits with respect to tenders, that interesting combination of early Ivatt tender (equally divided wheelbase, coal rails terminating well-back from the front corners with low ends to the front coal plate) combined with the later type of large round water pick up dome and smaller round filler hatch, must I suppose be possible. Interesting.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Not sure I agree with the separate pick up and filler of that design, R57 is a round scoop top not flat and rectangular, according to the works drawings.

I have not yet seen any detail of drawings of a different kind of scoop cover

Nice work, especially in 2 mm though.

Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Are we looking at a model of a modernized R22 / R23 here? It doesn't appear to have R57 features, unless I'm getting very confused.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Actually Greame,

I just looked at all my drawings, not the works ones, and found a round water filler cap and a not attached dome, and the only one I found
was on R57. I did not look for the other features on the tender.

What you and others probably do not know is that there were at various times from 1896 different outside frames designed for the various
tenders, and in fact some of the works drawings were, according to Malcolm of underframes which did not actually fit the superstructure
shown in the other part of the drawing. Thus the 3500 gallon tank did not actually fit the underframe shown on the GA, I am told.

There are certainly at least 3 other types of underframes, of which I have drawings, or part thereof, to go with bodies for different
TO's. Maybe I will finally get round to finishing them all off soon into the New Year.

Paul
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

manna wrote:G'day Gents

What's not to like with a GN tender :D

manna
Judging for the subsequent comments; plenty!!!! :twisted: :lol: :lol:

I think what's happened here is that I used the Isinglass drawings for the D2 tender which does show this arrangement. I've altered the water filler covers to the rectangular type and have just finished printing this altered version.

Pictures to follow once the post curing process has finished and I've had a chance to remove the supports and squirt some primer over it!

Thank you for the comments guys, it's been very helpful pointing out what should have been an obvious mistake!
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi all,

Thanks to Atlantic3279's and John Coffin's feedback on the GNR tender, I've altered the water cover. New picture along with a J6 below.
J6 and Alterted Tender.jpg
I've also been playing with adding pickups to the isolated side of a Union Mills tender (which uses the American pickup system). The tender drive has also been fitted with a Mashima 1015 motor (becoming scarce now!) and the whole thing bodged up to connect to the Farish J39 donor chassis. It's all a bit Heath Robinson as I was making this up as I went along. I've already come up with a much simpler and neater way of doing this but I'm very happy with the initial result... Video of my version of Frankenstein's monster below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRaAvkTJpO8
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi all, not much from me as I've suffered another bout of depression and anxiety attacks recently but things have been looking up a little bit more and I've been able to crack on with a few bits and pieces.

I'm still toying with the J6 tender as, while I finally got something more representative of the correct GNR tender (with thanks to Paul and Graeme for their help with this), the Union Mills tender drive has proven to be a poor performer as I can't get enough weight into the remaining space to utilise the usually incredible traction of these units. I'm currently exploring other options which include using either a Dapol terrier tank (slightly short wheelbase to disguise but a tiny unit leaving a lot of room for weight) and simply stretching a later GNR tender type to fit the original Farish unit that came with the J39 donor.

However while this is going on, I think its time a couple of new locomotives are introduced.

Above is a D49 Hunt class variant. I've just done my initial fitting of the handrails but it looks like I need to do a little tweaking around the smokebox front. This variant of the D49 class used rotary cam operated Lentz poppet valves so I'll be doing some trimming and altering of the valve gear when I pluck up the courage! I don't know which member of the class this will be yet but hopefully the future owner will know this when I remember to ask them! I do know it needs to be painted in BR mixed traffic black however.

This one is one of the original Shire builds which I've just finished fettling and will be receiving its handrails in the next day or two. The key visual differences on the body are, the lack of steam reverser on the side of the boiler, the box on the running plate above the expansion link, lack of outside steam pipes and only one lubricator. Luckily the Shires used Walschaerts valve gear so no alterations are needed on this one! This one is for me and will become Lincolnshire as it was briefly allocated to Kings Cross between 1928-29; in my universe, it remained as a Kings Cross locomotive into the 1930s and will be seen on Pullman and semi-fast links - the only unknown at this point is whether I adopt the pre or post 1928 apple green livery.

Most of the D49s had stepped out tenders and one to fit over the Dapol motor is being worked on. Lincolnshire was definitely paired with an early stepped tender and in all likelihood the Hunt will be too.

There are a few other projects going on at the moment as can be seen below...

Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

A lovely N Gauge LNER fleet building up there Steve.

PM sent too.

nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

I don't know how you manage in N scale, it's hard enough in 00. your glasses must be a lot better than mine 8) .

Cheers
Paul
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

D49s look OK but they didn't have beading on the splashers.

ArthurK
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Thanks for the comments guys.

Paul, the nice thing about CAD and 3D printing is that I can zoom into any features and get them right (within the limitations of the printing process). The issue is not taking features off the print when fettling!

Graeme, thank you for you PM. A reply will be sent shortly.
ArthurK wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:02 am D49s look OK but they didn't have beading on the splashers.

ArthurK
Thanks for the feedback Arthur - modellers license as I find the 'beading' makes life so much easier when lining with a bow pen in N gauge (the loco body is less than 70mm long!). Personally, I find that once painted and lined the 'beading' is pretty much unnoticeable anyway. Not to everyone's taste I'll admit but in such a small scale, I like to use every trick I can to get the best result within my modelling limitations. :D
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Four locomotives have now been fitted with handrails, both the D49s and two K3s. Unfortunately, I've now run out of handrail knobs and will have to order some more before I can continue with the K1 and tenders.

Only one picture as you've seen the D49s already.

This one is my replacement for poor 2447 which got dropped (not by me) and damaged beyond repair a year or so back. 2447's tender has been salvaged though and can be seen in this picture. This will be a direct like for like replacement, can I get away with adding '-A' to the number as seems to happen with a certain science fiction starship whenever the previous one is destroyed? :lol:
Steve