Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Atso's new loco works

Post by nzpaul »

Now that looks like fun.......what is it :?: :?:
I'm not a technophobe but that CAD business is beyond me, qualifies you as a genius to me. :idea:

Cheers
Paul
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

nzpaul wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:41 am Now that looks like fun.......what is it :?: :?:
Hi Paul,

I believe that it may end up under a scratch built D34 that my friend has acquired. Its a little bit out of proportion but captures the spirit of the class very well in my opinion. Sorry, but I don't have any pictures of it I'm afraid.
nzpaul wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:41 am I'm not a technophobe but that CAD business is beyond me, qualifies you as a genius to me. :idea:
Believe it or not, I am a bit of a technophobe! However with the right programme (i.e. one that works with your own logic - or lack of in my case!) basic shapes can be rendered quite quickly to produce models. Experience will help with more complex shapes as well as learning how to do the basic ones more quickly. Nowadays I think I spend more time measuring up and correcting sources (where I can or when necessary) than I do actually doing the CAD; that said, I've still not managed to produce a Bugatti style front end suitable for a streamlined B17 to my satisfaction!

The L1 has had its final few bits added and I've just got the chassis fixed points to sort out before it can join the queue of things to be printed in the next batch.
L1 67740-67765 27-04-18.jpg
Speaking of batches of prints, the revised vans should be with me this week. Unfortunately the GNR full brake will require some additional thought so didn't make the cut. However, it has been replaced with a Banana van, making use of the existing 9' chassis I designed for the Dia. 23 fish van - Yes Mr wealleans, I've added the chalk board to the Dia. 23 now! :lol:
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Not a locomotive, but something that a locomotive will eventually run on...
Crossover Doc Large.jpg
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I've finally gotten around to starting the test build for the V1/V3 tank engine print.
V1 and V3 Test Prints.jpg
I've already found one minor correction that I need to make to prevent the lower front frames fouling the pony truck!
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Having had to address a couple of bits and pieces on the print, I've now reached this stage in the test build.
20180508_174359.jpg
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

With a reasonable-looking cab roof radius too, rather than the flatter version found on a certain OO gauge model.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:40 pm With a reasonable-looking cab roof radius too, rather than the flatter version found on a certain OO gauge model.
Thanks Graeme, I have to confess to having never noticed the flatter roof on my old V3 tank. I often wonder what happened to it... :wink: :lol:
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

The bow pen came out for the first time this year and I lined the bufferbeams 'white'.
20180510_100643.jpg
20180510_100619.jpg
The 'white' is a new tinlet of Humbrol no.22 mixed with 14 drops of gloss black. Having struggled with Humbrol gloss white in recent years, I'm staggered that I've found a tin that is perfect for lining straight off (I just threw my old tins away as, compared to this, they are useless!).

The picture below of my pen and the paint splodge above it show the colour I ended up with.
20180510_100346.jpg
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Not a post about locos although a loco will appear - sadly not an LNER loco though.

I've been thinking about attempting to scratch build my own track for the fiddle yard for my Hadley Wood project. So recently I placed an order with the 2mm Scale Association for some code 40 rail and various copper clad sleepers. I've never built soldered track before and own no gauges for N (or any other) gauge, although I do own a blade filing jig that I got with my first Finetrax plastic point kit.

Firstly, I needed a template drawn to N gauge. Despite many attempts, I cannot get on with Templot and so drew up a template with my usual CAD package. Once this was printed out and attached to a suitable surface, I had a go at soldering everything up; I used my calipers to gauge everything.

I must have done more right than wrong as I ended up with this (and a test wagon which was happy to pass through it!).
Copper clad turnout test build.jpg
Encouraged, I got a piece of shelving, made up a few straight bits and glued everything down before crudely wiring the whole lot up. The results of this can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EsfMqhFzZw

I'm mighty surprised and very happy that my Heath Robinson approach seems to have worked quite well for a first attempt!
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

A quick in progress view of my V1 build, which has gained the identity of 2911.
LNER V1 2911 progress 11-06-18.jpg
Following Tm Watson's stunning 2mm scale P2 build, I thought I would try his technique for making the boiler bands. Tim sprays a piece of decal film the colour of the outer lines and, once dry, ruling in the center colour using a bow pen. Once this has fully hardened, he used a razor blade to cut close to the center line but far enough away to keep a slither of the outer colour.

While I need some practice to get the line width consistent, I'm very happy with how these have turned out and indebted to Tim for sharing such a useful technique.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

2911 has progressed a bit further having gained various fittings and having its brass work picked out as well.
LNER V1 2911 and crew progress 13-06-18.jpg
The crew are a couple of very cheap (and nasty) unpainted figures I got many years ago and have been looking for a use for. I've roughly painted them using Vallejo acrylic paint.
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Looking good. Surprisingly angular dome cover, to my eyes anyway - but I'm not suggesting that it's wrong.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Thank you Mr King. In hindsight I think I agree with you and have altered the CAD according for when this goes up on my Shapeways shop.

2911 has had a coat of matt varnish now. It has also been glazed (with Kristal Klear) and coaled (neither is dry yet!).
LNER V1 2911 Progress 15-06-18.jpg
The is a crew in there somewhere... honestly! :shock:
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Beautiful job. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso