Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Of course there is, I had forgotten about the N1.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Indeed there is an N1 body print available in 4mm scale, and very nice it looks too!

I've done the initial test prints of the C12 and N1. Not quite perfect but pretty darn close.
C12 and N1 Small.jpg
C12 and N1 Small1.jpg
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I've been spending some time working out the etched chassis arrangement for the N1. Still plenty more to do yet but I'm pleased with how this is shaping up.
N1 Chassis Assembly1.jpg
N1 Chassis Assembly2.jpg
N1 Chassis Assembly.jpg
N1 Chassis Assembly3.jpg
Steve
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Steve,
given the curves in 2mm, you might find that separating the trailing wheels part of the frames from
the drivers, will be much more effective. I did it with my N1 in 4mm and it works well, the joint is
hidden behind the rear steps. The real things had a sliding axle, or a radial axle, so it is not cheating
too much .

Paul
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

john coffin wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:11 pm given the curves in 2mm, you might find that separating the trailing wheels part of the frames from
the drivers, will be much more effective. I did it with my N1 in 4mm and it works well, the joint is
hidden behind the rear steps. The real things had a sliding axle, or a radial axle, so it is not cheating
too much .
Hi Paul,

I have done so but hidden the arrangement behind the cab footsteps.
N1 Chassis Assembly4.jpg
I've still to decide how I'm going to fix the rear end of the chassis to the body though.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I've done some more work on the chassis design. Just a few more bits to design and a couple of tweaks (i.e. clearance for the motor!) to make and I'll be ready to start thinking about converting the relevant bits into 2D artwork.
N1 Chassis Assembly11.jpg
N1 Chassis Assembly8.jpg
N1 Chassis Assembly9.jpg
N1 Chassis Assembly10.jpg
Steve
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Looks good, I made the mounting for the rear separate piece the mounting for the body, but since you I think
do not have an integral floor, that may be more complex for you , but it certainly works well in 4mm

Paul
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Thanks Paul.

You've correctly guessed that the loco does not have an integral floor (I've yet to work out the cab arrangements). I've attached bogies and ponies onto the bodies of locomotives before, I'm not a fan of this in N gauge - although that may well be because I've always adapted donor chassis in the past. Being the first time I've made a serious attempt at designing a chassis, I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible.

I'd love to see a photo or two of your N1 when you have a moment.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Ok, other than sorting out lowering the joint for the front brake hangers a little (they attach over a fold line which isn't smart), and maybe removing a bit of the etch on the rear pony to ensure it can't short in the body attachment screw, I think the chassis is about as good as I can make it. Translating the 3D CAD into 2D will be 'fun'...
N1 Chassis Only Assembly.jpg
N1 Chassis Only Assembly2.jpg
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Some further work on the N1 chassis this morning resulted in the roughing out of some chassis weights.
N1 Chassis Assembly with Weights.jpg
I've left 0.5mm clearances all round so that nothing can short out and to generously allow for modest intolerance's in the internal dimensions of the prints. I'm toying with the ideal of 3D printing the weights and then casting them in white metal. The calculated volume of the weights is 3.22 cubic centimeters which would make them 33.35g in white metal (27.05g in brass). Having weighed up the loco body, wheels and motor, this would bring the theoretical weight of the N1 to between 44g and 50g, with most of the weight over the drivers; by comparison, the loco end of a Dapol A3 (minus bogie and cartazzi truck) weighs in at a little over 55g . Given that the rear radial truck will be a swinging bogie, I may revisit the bunker weight in the future as it may prove to be more of a hindrance than a help.
Steve
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Steve, think you should consider halving the weight over the trailing wheels, it might well overwhelm the loco
when travelling backwards. You can always add more weight as coal, if you find it necessary.
Looking good,

Paul
ps check your emails
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Thanks Paul,

I think you're dead right about the bunker weight. Reducing it to half will knock 5g off the overall weight but will almost certainly result in a better balanced locomotive, which I believe is the desired outcome.

Email found and responded to. Sorry, I missed that one! :oops:
Steve
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Really nice work as usual and interesting.
I like cad drawing, but I must start and learn a new programme, the 3d modelling programme I use
at work is no good for model railways as I found out.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

While waiting for sufficient funds to get some things etched, I've turned my attention back to an old project, the J6s.

The problem for me was that the Farish J39 donor was longer than the J6 and the resulting stretched loco body ruined the overall look for me. Therefore, taking inspiration from Mr King, I gave matters some thoughts and got out my piercing saw and started cutting things up.

First the unaltered donor chassis.
20191113_185244.jpg
And after some cutting and joining had been performed.
20191113_184659.jpg
20191113_184315.jpg
20191114_185345.jpg
The parts have been joined using epoxy glue and pinned together using some M1.2 self tapping screws, while the coupling rods are B1 spares. Amazingly, everything still works!
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Encouraging when things work out, isn't it?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.