Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Atso's new loco works

Post by Atso »

Things have been progressing on various bits and pieces recently...

The C1 has had various features picked out in brass, black and polished steel and will move to the lining stage once dry. Apologies for the quality of the pictures, the sun is not being helpful to my phone camera today!
C1 Painting 29-10-18 1.jpg
C1 Painting 29-10-18.jpg
Apologies for daring to share a GWR locomotive on here but I'm rather pleased with how the lining of this one is turning out and it may be of use to anyone contemplating hand lining an N Gauge BR green locomotive in the future.
GWR Lining 29-10-18.jpg
The double lining was created using clear decal paper sprayed in the colour of the outer lines and, once dry, a black line was ruled in using my bow pen. Once this was dry, I lined up a ruler against the edge of the black and used a curved no. 10 scalpel blade to cut the decal out. The taper of the blade results in the thin outer line when cut and I use the curved blade to ensure that the tip isn't in contact with the decal as I've found this can lead to a fuzzy or tore edge (despite always using fresh blades for this kind of work).

The corners are brush painted in once the decals have been applied, painting in the out lines first and the inner black line a day or two later. As I don't think Orange 'scales' well, I used Ian Rathbone's technique of using Humbrol no. 9 gloss tan, mixed with a little red, to represent the orange lining. When placed on the dark green surface, it looks better to my eyes - and who I am to argue with Mr Rathbone!

I've still got the splasher lining to do and then the other side - I must remember to buy some copper paint for the chimney!

The BR V3 has also had its lining finished but the present lighting conditions have defeated any attempt to get a half decent photograph of this loco this morning. I'll be added crests and numbers in due course.
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Both engines coming along well, If you want light I suggest you pop over to Oz, it's bright enough to sear your eyeballs :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Thanks Manna, I'd love to visit Oz one day but I'll need to seriously boost my income first!

Not a locomotive but, as I don't have a layout thread, I thought that I'll post this here. The first major milestone for my Hadley Wood project has been reached with the early arrival (over two weeks early!) of the three laser cut baseboards that will form the foundation of the layout. I wasn't going to spend the money on such a kit original but a discussion with the owner of Vale of Oxbury the other weekend while I was helping to operate it convinced me of the benefits.

Anyway, the basic kit looked like this:
Baseboard Kit.jpg
Naturally, this afternoons work plan went out of the window and the first board got assembled!
First Baseboard Assembled.jpg
As the top comes as three pieces, I'll be sanding the top before sealing everything and then (once the other two boards have been assembled) I'll look at laying the first two circuits of track. Speaking of which, the first of the two production 'super scissor' crossings was assembled last weekend.
Super Scissor Web Larger.jpg
The result of around ten hours work and I'm very much looking forward to the day when the other one of these is finally out of the way! You might notice that the double slips have been simplified and only have two blades per tie bar. Amazingly, this set up works very well and the four items of stock that I've used to test this seem happy enough to negotiate the slips without compliant.
Steve
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

Post by JASd17 »

I am guessing these will be round-the-back on Hadley Wood? Or another project entirely?

John
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

JASd17 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:02 pm I am guessing these will be round-the-back on Hadley Wood? Or another project entirely?

John
Hi John,

Yes this and the other one (when built) will form the entrances/exits to the fiddle yard. The scenic section will comprise of Finetrax code 40 track and turnouts that have been slowly assembled over the last year. To keep operational interest, I'll be retaining the crossing at the end of the platforms despite this likely disappearing during the resignalling in the early 1930s (although the 1935 OS map shows it still in place). I'm guessing that this will also require me to retain the bridge mounted somersault signal as well.
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thought you'd been a bit quiet, now I know, baseboards, points, layout, you have been busy. :D

manna
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

JASd17 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:02 pm Hi John,

Yes this and the other one (when built) will form the entrances/exits to the fiddle yard. The scenic section will comprise of Finetrax code 40 track and turnouts that have been slowly assembled over the last year. To keep operational interest, I'll be retaining the crossing at the end of the platforms despite this likely disappearing during the resignalling in the early 1930s (although the 1935 OS map shows it still in place). I'm guessing that this will also require me to retain the bridge mounted somersault signal as well.
I can completely understand your wish to have interest. In the main trains just sailed past or briefly stopped. But I would argue, what a procession of trains you have to model to do just that with.

Enjoy, it is not branch line work!

John
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

JASd17 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:46 pm I can completely understand your wish to have interest. In the main trains just sailed past or briefly stopped. But I would argue, what a procession of trains you have to model to do just that with.

Enjoy, it is not branch line work!
Thanks John,

I agree with you that the main emphasis is going to be on running a lot trains through Hadley Wood. However, a couple of times a week the 'goods yard' (too grander name for two sidings and a headshunt!) saw use for coal deliveries and apparently the export of Hay! Earlier, it was used to deliver bricks for the construction of the houses that were supposed to be built as part of the deal with the GNR for building the station (the full development was never achieved).

While I have been without a layout for some time (the last two attempts had to be dismantlement for reasons beyond my control), I have been privileged to be able to operate some friends layouts and my personal favorite of these is Tony's Little Bytham. While the emphasis is very much on running trains there were two points in the two hour plus sequence where some shunting took place. For me, this provided a nice change from the continuous procession of trains but was also brief enough that it didn't become a hassle.

As my own stock unfortunately covers a wider period than either the pre or post signaling work layout can cover (and I'd love to model King Arthur class 'Sir Brian' in 1928 condition one day), I've decided to go with the earlier trackplan. My only other concession is to move the 'Railway Tavern' (which never got a licence!) forward towards the station a little so that I can included it in the somewhat narrow scenic area.

Despite the compromises, I'm looking forward in the longer term to researching the formations that would have run through the station. Speaking of which, does anyone know what kind of wagon(s) was used to transport Hay?
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I would say that covered wagons, would probably have been used, as hay, when stored 'wet' has a tendency to combust, although open wagons covered with a tarpaulin would be OK.

manna
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

manna wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:32 pm G'Day Gents

I would say that covered wagons, would probably have been used, as hay, when stored 'wet' has a tendency to combust, although open wagons covered with a tarpaulin would be OK.

manna
Thanks Manna,

Strange that hay can spontaneously combust when wet. I had to go and look that one up as it was something I had no idea about before you mentioned it.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I'd forgotten that trying to fully line out apple green isn't always the easiest of jobs but I'm getting there.
20181106_121522.jpg
A few touch ups to do on this side before progressing onto the other. Annoyingly, one of the home made boiler bands seems to have split and lost its upper part. I'll have to make a replacement and add it on later. I've 'cheated' for much of the straight black and white lining and used decals. However, these have been home made using my, now normal, approach of spraying the white (actually a very light grey) onto some decal film and ruling on the black line once dry. A curved no. 10 scalpel blade is used to trim the excess, leaving a white line that is finer than I could find on any commercially produced decal sheet. All the corners and curves are brush painted while the red line (barely visible in this view) is bow pen and brush work.
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I don't see how it is a cheat if you made the lining strips yourself. I know of professional loco painters who make transfers for the boiler bands, at least, so why not do likewise?
Impressive result.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:45 pm I don't see how it is a cheat if you made the lining strips yourself. I know of professional loco painters who make transfers for the boiler bands, at least, so why not do likewise?
Impressive result.
Thanks Graeme,

I only say cheated as I used the decals rather than directly applying the bow pen to the model for the straight bits. I'll do the tender lining the same way as I find it next to impossible to consistently gap the two white lines using the pen. For the tender I'll use a fine brush for the corners, the same as I have for the loco.

I took delivery of some 2mm brass rod and M2 washers from Eileen's Emporium today. Having discovered that the washers were not a tight fit onto the rod (due to having to clear screw threads in their intended purpose!), I rummaged around and found some smaller washers (12BA, I think). As the holes on these were smaller than the rod, I soldered them onto a bit of scrap brass to form a handle and used a tapered broach to open the hole out so that the washer was a snug fit onto the rod. After some tidying and shaping, I carefully cut a slot down the center(ish) of the rod and filled the gap with Araldite leaving me with these.
Mystery Brass Objects.jpg
Once the Araldite has fully hardened, I'll cut off the excess rod leaving me with the two halfs bonded by the epoxy. I only need two for the C1 but thought it prudent to make some spares. Would anyone like to venture a guess as to their purpose?
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

C1, looking good, nice to get past the lining stage, always dread that.

As for the ?????, dowackies, for holding the Drivers 'tea can'. :lol: :lol:

manna
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

It's been over a month since I last posted anything on this thread! :shock: :shock:

I've been busy with commission work, which in the main I don't have permission from the customers to share here. However, one that I can share is a BR V3 67656 which made its way into its new owners hands a couple of weekends back.
V3 67656 3.jpg
Here it is when it was nearing completion having been weathered but not yet glazed. I used some of the methods and techniques described in Martyn Welch's book 'The Art of Weathering'. The model, still in its glossy state, got a light misting of an enamel weathering mix using an airbrush which consisted of 'roof dirt' (Railmatch), gunmetal (Humbrol Metalcote), matt black and matt leather - sorry I can't remember the exact mix but it was mainly 'roof dirt'. I let the paint go touch dry before creating subtle streaking using a flat brush moistened with white spirit (almost dry). Once this was dry, I applied a second, even lighter misting of the weathering mix and left it to dry.

Once dry, I took the weathering mix and some Humbrol smoke and dark earth weathering powders and stippled this onto the smokebox, top of the boiler and cab roof. After this had dried, I used some gloss tan and gunmetal to represent subtle oily deposits around the lubricators and grease on the buffer heads. Finally, some gloss varnish was applied to the tank sides, water fillers and safety valves to represent water.

I think that the overall effect came off very nicely and I'm happy to report that its new owner feels the same way. Unfortunately, the photographs do not do the loco justice but here is another picture of the finished V3 on the owners layout.
V3 67656 on local.jpg
The signal box has also been completed and went to the same home.
Signal Box 6.jpg
Signal Box 2.jpg
Last edited by Atso on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve