Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Atso's new loco works

Post by Atso »

The C1 went through another design iteration last night to accommodate the N-Brass slide bars that were supplied with the old LNER O4 kit. Even so both the slide bars and Dapol crossheads needed some filing and sanding work to get everything to fit.
LNER C1 with Connecting Rods.jpg
The slight lean between the loco and tender is due to a mis-aligned part on the print which hopefully we've eradicated today.

There is still no tender drawbar or loco pickups designed yet but.... IT'S ALIVE!

https://youtu.be/EYerYhKUxjc

The new power plant is a Nigel Lawton 8mm Coreless motor as there was no way I was going to be able to fit the Dapol motor into the tender - the motor is bigger!
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I've finished the basic colour scheme for the C1 which will become 4452 as it was one of two Atlantics that deputised for a failed A4 that hauled the Silver Jubilee set into Kings Cross during the late 1930's. I've also found some more photographs of this locomotive and, as it achieved it's Silver Jubilee feat during the summer, it is the better candidate for me over 4446.

Anyway, here is the current state of play.
LNER C1 4452 Basic Painting.jpg
I've still got the wheel centers to line but it is starting to look the part (to me anyway). It's been temporarily reassembled as some friends were over from Holland who wanted to see it. We met for breakfast this morning at the local service station (they're on their way to Derby for some American Railway meetup) and spent an enjoyable hour or so discussing this and Robinson locomotives (one of them is a big fan of Robinson's work!).

It has got to come apart again for the painting of details and lining. I also have to sort out the tender pickups and how I'm going to connect the loco and tender, both physically and electrically. I guess it will be a race to see whether BB, Manna or I get an Atlantic finished first! :D
Steve
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Now that is looking cute, looking forward to seeing the finished item....and then a proper NER atlantic..............
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Dave wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:55 pm Now that is looking cute, looking forward to seeing the finished item....and then a proper NER atlantic..............
Thanks Dave! I think that a Jersey Lily is more likely to appear for my Southern ECML layout than an NER Atlantic! Besides, I've got almost enough parts to build two more C1s! :lol:
Steve
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Atso,

4452 was a Doncaster loco, therefore a rare Atlantic to visit the southern end of the ECML. Excepting exceptional circumstances!

There are many KX, Hitchin or Peterborough locos that would be seen daily.

The model looks fantastic in your chosen scale.

If you have 2 of them you could model the 10.19am Down (mid 1930s time) from KX a 6-carriage train that was frequently double-headed. Train 330, as it was in the WTT, called at Hadley Wood too.

John
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

JASd17 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:49 pm Atso,

4452 was a Doncaster loco, therefore a rare Atlantic to visit the southern end of the ECML. Excepting exceptional circumstances!

There are many KX, Hitchin or Peterborough locos that would be seen daily.

The model looks fantastic in your chosen scale.

John
Thanks John,

I'm very interested in recreating the 4th September 1936 run with the Silver Jubilee set, hence my choice to model 4452. I've also seen a photograph of it hauling a tourist car set near Sandy so I've know of two occasions where it would have passed through Hadley Wood; complete with another set of coaches I'd like to model. I do plan to make some more C1s taking into account some of the variations that the class had which will be more representative of the area's allocations. One I'd particularly like to do is 4436 (a Kings Cross loco) as it seems to have retained Ramsbottom safety valves and there are a few photographs of the loco dotted about.
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Lovely loco in lovely grass green livery.

It's a shame we don't have more shows featuring such things, rather than the prevailing saturation coverage of "somewhere in 50s/60s" or multi-coloured, all RTR, current image with lots of annoying DCC noises.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:06 pm Lovely loco in lovely grass green livery.

It's a shame we don't have more shows featuring such things, rather than the prevailing saturation coverage of "somewhere in 50s/60s" or multi-coloured, all RTR, current image with lots of annoying DCC noises.....
Thank you Graeme! :D

You are right that 50s/60s layouts seem to dominate exhibitions at the moment (and DCC annoying noise seems to be spreading!) . However, when we do see a interwar era LNER layout, they do tend to be of epic proportions and build quality - Grantham, Copenhagen Fields and Gresley Beat all spring to mind as examples of excellent exhibition layouts representing an excellent era!
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

JASd17 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:49 pm If you have 2 of them you could model the 10.19am Down (mid 1930s time) from KX a 6-carriage train that was frequently double-headed. Train 330, as it was in the WTT, called at Hadley Wood too.
Now that would be fun to model! :D
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The C1's looking nice in Green, I looking forward to getting my C1 to that stage, I've still got a way to go yet.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

manna wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:33 pm G'Day Gents

The C1's looking nice in Green, I looking forward to getting my C1 to that stage, I've still got a way to go yet.

manna
Thanks Manna,

I look forward to seeing yours painted too! As a fellow basher of chassis units, I frequently find inspiration in your choice of chassis and project choices.
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

Atso wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:31 pm
manna wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:33 pm G'Day Gents

manna
Thanks Manna,

I look forward to seeing yours painted too! As a fellow basher of chassis units, I frequently find inspiration in your choice of chassis and project choices.
G'day Gents

Won't tell you yet but there's a few more 'Crazy' ideas buzzing around in my head.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

manna wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:02 am Won't tell you yet but there's a few more 'Crazy' ideas buzzing around in my head.
I look forward to seeing them! :D
Steve
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Magnificent and inspirational!
You work so fast. I must get back to making locomotives, but my next one won't be green - or have lined wheels - even though it will be much larger than yours.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

drmditch wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:47 am Magnificent and inspirational!
You work so fast. I must get back to making locomotives, but my next one won't be green - or have lined wheels - even though it will be much larger than yours.
Thank you so much for your kind words - the C1 seems to have generated more comments across a couple of forums than anything else I've ever posted! :)

Believe me, this one hasn't been that fast as a lot of the design work has been lightly going on in the background in between paid jobs for a few months now. I've been painting a couple of other locos (commission pieces) so, as I had the airbrush out, I sprayed up the C1 at the same time. As I've used Precision enamels throughout, that took three days and the masking took far longer than I expected it too - if I'd know that when I started it, it would have sat in primer for a few more weeks until other things had been cleared first!
Steve