how to motorise an N gauge R1

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

how to motorise an N gauge R1

Post by Atso »

Hi Guys,

Still in the mist of decorating etc so I'm not able to do much modelling at the moment. However, I have been thinking through an idea but need some advice.

Looking through the loco pages I came across the Ivatt R1 0-8-2. As described by Richard, this loco is basically a tank version of the Q1 tender engine. I have a Union Mills Q2 locomotive (very similar to the Q1) and the remains of a Langley N2 kit lying about. I believe that by grafting the N2 tanks, cab to a spare Q2 body, shortening the bunker and adding a pony trunk, a representation of an R1 could be produced.

Colin is going to reintroduce the Q2 in 2008 and is willing to send me a spare body casting to play with.

Now here is the problem - how to motorise it. Union Mills locomotives are tender driven and the main locomotive and chassis is cast as a single piece which would prevent me just adding a Farish 08 chassis underneath. Does anyone else have any suggestions how I could motorise such a loco?

Cheers
Steve
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Steve, I just saw your post on the ngauge listserver.

I assume you mean 2-8-0 chassis rather than an 08?

Could you add a trailing truck (eg. from a Farish Prairie) to the Q2?
And then use the suggestion of a powered wagon behind it?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi Richard,

Yes, I meant the 8F not 08 chassis. The Q2 will be lengthened by the N2 tanks and Cab providing enough space to add a pony truck to the rear. I think that a powered truck/coach might be the way to go - just won't be used for any shunting... Having said that I've had a suggestion from someone else that I might be able to mill a slot in the frame for a gear wheel, not sure how feasable that is going to be until I get hold of a spare Q2 body.
Steve