Hornby 2017 range announced

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Hornby 2017 range announced

Post by Hatfield Shed »

2002EarlMarischal wrote:...As far as I can see no new LNER locomotives, just new versions of existing models. Perhaps this is good for the wallet!
Brief respite only I suspect.

This was the 2017 catalogue announcement of the announced 'completely newly tooled introductions for 2017', and the prospective liveries/numbers/variants/sets based on existing tooling, which are catalogued and offered for retailer orders. The 'completely new' will be manufactured, everything else is conditional on sufficient retailer orders received to justify whatever is the minimum quantity production run. That's if I read the runes correctly from previous years where there have been subsequent 'cancellations' from the range: those are the catalogued items based on existing tooling which didn't bring in sufficient retailer orders.

What of the 'completely newly tooled introductions for 2018'? Those I imagine will once again be drip fed via their 'Engine Shed' communications, in the style of the past couple of years. You only have to look at the engagement they get via this route to realise that it is unlikely this will stop.

Sensible decision: printed catalogue for the sector of their customer base that prefers this, online feed for those that prefer that.
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

Woodcock29 wrote: Is the Appleby livery correct? I can't recall ever seeing a photo of an LMS designed coke wagon in Appleby livery.
There definitely were PO coke hoppers to the LMS design; whether App-Frod was a user I'm not 100% sure, but it would seem likely.
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Nova »

Sea Eagle wrote:
nzpaul wrote:
Sea Eagle wrote:I might be tempted by "Gay Crusader" if I can find a straight one at a reasonable price.
That's quite a conundrum you've got yourself in.....I think that particular A3 is supposed to be bent.... :?
I wonder whether anybody at Hornby has spotted that one! I guess that's one way of dealing with the apparent difficulties with their tooling!!
Personally I wish they'd chosen a defrocked A4 as the end of the big four anniversary special...unless they're saving that one for the anniversary of the exchange trials.
in regards to the exchange trials they will probably do models of the engines that participated.

slightly off topic but related to the end of the big four. Personally, I'm getting the feeling they, and the other companies may do something really big for to 100th anniversary, as far off as that is.

I suppose the same goes with the really important upcoming date, 2023, 100 years of the LNER. :D (only 6 more years would you believe)
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Nova

Post by Nova »

Hatfield Shed wrote:
What of the 'completely newly tooled introductions for 2018'? Those I imagine will once again be drip fed via their 'Engine Shed' communications, in the style of the past couple of years. You only have to look at the engagement they get via this route to realise that it is unlikely this will stop.

Sensible decision: printed catalogue for the sector of their customer base that prefers this, online feed for those that prefer that.
unlikely choice but I'm going to go out on a whim and say one of the Thompson pacifics.

we've had the B1, O1 and L1 in recent years, why not another Thompson loco?
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Woodcock29 wrote:Agree on comments around the pre-war Q6. I suspect it should also have a windjabber - which they could easily get right by putting the right chimney on it.

Andrew Emmett

Probably just a photo of a renumbered model,of the current post war LNER variant. I cant see them being willing to spend the money on a new Boiler version , there are still plenty around of the first release for sale.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Nova wrote:
Hatfield Shed wrote:

unlikely choice but I'm going to go out on a whim and say one of the Thompson pacifics.

Bachmann have always said they wont do a Thompson A2 variant. Daft idea, they already have the starts of the chassis , a Loco Body and a complete Tender already.

Their announcement I believe, is this weekend ,for their new releases which will available in about 2021 if you are lucky :D
Nova

Post by Nova »

mick b wrote:
Nova wrote:
Hatfield Shed wrote:

Bachmann have always said they wont do a Thompson A2 variant. Daft idea, they already have the starts of the chassis , a Loco Body and a complete Tender already.

Their announcement I believe, is this weekend ,for their new releases which will available in about 2021 if you are lucky :D
did they give a reason why?

camscott
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by camscott »

Hornby won't do an original Q6 for the same reason we haven't seen a J11/3, or a D10, or an O4/7 or O4/8, or even a D16/2 or an original B12. Once a main version is made that seems to be it, there may be a worry about producing to what the public seems like more of the same engine rather then a new model itself, as well as the fact that some variations of classes didn't make it to BR days (as seems to be the common thing now). This seems to also apply very much to pre-grouping liveries, who ever thought that bright and interesting color schemes would be seen as the 'Danger Zone' is beyond me.

Is it any wonder I dislike BR modelling so much?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

A reason for no Thompson A2? Not the demand for it in short. Doesn't mean nobody wants it, but they are not confident that sufficient people would buy it to make the required return.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Nova wrote:slightly off topic but related to the end of the big four. Personally, I'm getting the feeling they, and the other companies may do something really big for to 100th anniversary, as far off as that is.

I suppose the same goes with the really important upcoming date, 2023, 100 years of the LNER. :D (only 6 more years would you believe)
But also of course the centenary of the LMS and SR (the GW just simply carried on more or less as before). As far as the LNER goes, the original Class A1 has already been done to death and there's probably less enthusiasm (head ducks below parapet) for the NER Pacific. Not much else was brand new in the year 1923; obvious changes took a year or three longer to appear.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Pennine MC wrote:
Woodcock29 wrote: Is the Appleby livery correct? I can't recall ever seeing a photo of an LMS designed coke wagon in Appleby livery.
There definitely were PO coke hoppers to the LMS design; whether App-Frod was a user I'm not 100% sure, but it would seem likely.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ?p=2333469

I don't know how much that particular post's author has by way of photos and information on the coke hoppers, but there were more than just two versions of the ore hopper livery.....

Also, a picture taken in one of the marshalling yards at Scunthorpe appears in Brian Longbone's book on Scunthorpe's rail history, showing parts of three other coke hoppers, which may or may not be the LMS type, partly obscured by an App-Frod ore hopperand an NER type 20ton wooden coal hopper wagon in the foreground. Those coke hoppers display another version of the Appleby livery, and a Frodingham version .
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Nova wrote:
mick b wrote:
Nova wrote:

did they give a reason why?
The usual one , they wouldn't sell.

Realistically the only one class that might ever appear is the A2/3 , the A2/1 and A2/2 have far too many variations, in very small classes.

The same applies to the P2 only six and all different specifications. Perhaps thats why Hornby don't appear to be doing a Bugatti version so far, even though the chassis casting already has the needed sloped front.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I think Hornby have made a error of judgment, by NOT making the Bugatti fronted version, they would sell. As would 2002.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Phil
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Phil »

camscott wrote:Hornby won't do an original Q6 for the same reason we haven't seen a J11/3, or a D10, or an O4/7 or O4/8, or even a D16/2 or an original B12. Once a main version is made that seems to be it, there may be a worry about producing to what the public seems like more of the same engine rather then a new model itself, as well as the fact that some variations of classes didn't make it to BR days (as seems to be the common thing now). This seems to also apply very much to pre-grouping liveries, who ever thought that bright and interesting color schemes would be seen as the 'Danger Zone' is beyond me.

Hornby have managed to give us more than one version of certain loco classes in the recent past. Limiting examples to LNER we have had:-

2 versions of the B17, the original Sandringham as well as the 100A boiler version with different spacings between the washout plugs
2 versions of the D16. one with single anti-vacuum valve the other with twin valves
2 versions of the J50 with different bunkers
2 of the L1 with altered front frames

So I live in hope. At least with the pre-war numbered Q6 we have a valid modelling span of 4 years and 6 months between obtaining the 50A boiler (December 1938) and losing the full L.N.E.R on the tender (July 1943)
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Phil wrote:
camscott wrote:Hornby won't do an original Q6 for the same reason we haven't seen a J11/3, or a D10, or an O4/7 or O4/8, or even a D16/2 or an original B12. Once a main version is made that seems to be it, there may be a worry about producing to what the public seems like more of the same engine rather then a new model itself, as well as the fact that some variations of classes didn't make it to BR days (as seems to be the common thing now). This seems to also apply very much to pre-grouping liveries, who ever thought that bright and interesting color schemes would be seen as the 'Danger Zone' is beyond me.

Hornby have managed to give us more than one version of certain loco classes in the recent past. Limiting examples to LNER we have had:-

2 versions of the B17, the original Sandringham as well as the 100A boiler version with different spacings between the washout plugs
2 versions of the D16. one with single anti-vacuum valve the other with twin valves
2 versions of the J50 with different bunkers
2 of the L1 with altered front frames

So I live in hope. At least with the pre-war numbered Q6 we have a valid modelling span of 4 years and 6 months between obtaining the 50A boiler (December 1938) and losing the full L.N.E.R on the tender (July 1943)

B17 still no LNER Footballer version which would be a big seller.

Q6 had LNER lettering post war albeit in Gill Sans lettering type as converted BR version below.
IMG_1562.JPG