13 Ton Steel Open Goods Wagon

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mossie
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

13 Ton Steel Open Goods Wagon

Post by mossie »

I am looking for an LNER kit or RTR model of the 13 Ton Steel Open Goods Wagon in 4mm scale/'00' to use in early BR guise.

I have seen the Parkside Dundas kit and the RTR Bachmann 38-325, but these are both the BR version. Can I use one of these to represent the LNER version or are the differences to great.

Thanks in advance for any help.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 13 Ton Steel Open Goods Wagon

Post by mick b »

Bachmann do/did do the High Steel version in LNER Grey livery. The BR versions just need new decals.
cctransuk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by cctransuk »

The early LNER steel opens has wooden doors and no lashing ring 'dimples'; it depends which version you wish to represent.

Regards,
John Isherwood.
mossie
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by mossie »

Thanks for the replies, it has given me a couple of options.

From the picture I have, which is not too clear, I think it has wooden doors.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

cctransuk wrote:The early LNER steel opens has wooden doors and no lashing ring 'dimples'; it depends which version you wish to represent.

Regards,
John Isherwood.
Wooden door/steel door, no dimples/dimples - all built within a relatively short space of time post-WW2. Tatlow LNER Wagons volume 4A p52 et seq.
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

65447 wrote:
cctransuk wrote:The early LNER steel opens has wooden doors and no lashing ring 'dimples'; it depends which version you wish to represent.

Regards,
John Isherwood.
Wooden door/steel door, no dimples/dimples - all built within a relatively short space of time post-WW2. Tatlow LNER Wagons volume 4A p52 et seq.
Indeed. AFAIK the wooden door ones were all built unfitted and all but a few of the steel doors had the 8 shoe vac gear.

I wouldn't have thought the dimples would be too hard to remove - flush them off on the outside, fill and flatten the inside. Or the OP could look for the original Parkside kit - even more originally an Iain Kirk one - which is still around and doesn't have them at all. It's cruder though.

And strictly speaking, the steel door ones should have chequerplate on the inside ...
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
mossie
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by mossie »

Thanks for the additional information.

Found my copy of Tatlow's this morning and also my copy of David Larkin's book "Wagons of the Early British Railways Era - A Pictorial Study of the 1948-1954 Period". The wagon in the picture, which is said to date to April 1949, has dimples which means steel doors and braked. So I should be able to use the Bachmann model and give it a repaint, LNER grey and new decals.
31A
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by 31A »

If (vacuum) braked, the LNER would have painted it brown rather than grey ...