Bachmann 2017

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Bachmann 2017

Post by Dave S »

Manxman1831 wrote:
Dave S wrote: Can someone explain why it's refered to as "The dark side".

Ta
Tends to be ran as a mouthpiece for Andy York's benefit, and woe betide if you disagree with his thinking. Some of the membership can be exceedingly hostile to those of independent thoughts, and will actively disrupt any discussions made by them. And definitely don't have any sour words against Hornby or Bachmann...
Ta for the reply and explanation.

Must admit I've been there for 8/10(?) years and not found that at all.
cctransuk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by cctransuk »

"Must admit I've been there for 8/10(?) years and not found that at all".

Me neither.

Some posters of known views can be somewhat repetitive - but can easily be put down!

Some others think that Hornby / Bachmann / Heljan etc. should produce their pet locomotive in any and all liveries - and at pocket money prices - but they too can be easily reacquainted with commercial reality

Regards,
John Isherwood.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

With John having just mentioned pocket money prices, the Bachmann website is showing both the teak and the crimson & cream Thompsons at £52.95 a throw, whilst the BR1 Mk1s - slightly longer with more detail - are £39.95... mind you, check out the price of some of the other new coaching stock.
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

Manxman1831 wrote:[. And definitely don't have any sour words against Hornby or Bachmann...
Nah, you're pretty safe with the big two. The real sacred cow (IMHO) is DJM.
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thou shallt not...... :wink:
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

mick b wrote:Good comments re Bachmann.

On the "dark side" there is a load of waffle from the leader saying re how wonderful they think they are doing.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... -overview/

Within is a comment that their prices are going up by 6% next month on OO gauge with a vague only 25% of the range comment affected.
4% on N gauge as well.
One rather thinks the waffle he has spewed over the years is coming back to haunt him a little with the severe lack of interest on the forum. That may or not be something to do with his banning anyone who he picks a fight with. :roll:

I am glad for having left RMweb some years back: better for my mental health at any rate.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

I note all this negativity about the so called 'dark side'.

However, there are some excellent blogs on RM Web - Tony Wright's 'Wright Writes' and 'Grantham - the Streamliner Years' to name but two. I read 'Wright Writes' as much as I read this site!

Andrew E
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Pretty tongue in cheek negativity.....Just a reference to the evil gatracktic empire I thought.. :roll:
I also use it to keep up to speed with manufacturer releases and so on and I do find it quite useful now that I no longer subscribe to any magazines, but I don't get involved in the threads at all.
The conversations within this group are generally more polite and contain vastly less uneducated opinion, but that would be expected given our less broad ranging subject matter, less s#@t slinging and more constructive here I think would be one way to put it.
Anyway, wasn't this supposed to be about Bachmann.....

Cheers
Paul.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Woodcock29 wrote:I note all this negativity about the so called 'dark side'.

However, there are some excellent blogs on RM Web - Tony Wright's 'Wright Writes' and 'Grantham - the Streamliner Years' to name but two. I read 'Wright Writes' as much as I read this site!

Andrew E
You have to, they are soooo loooong :P
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

About Bachmann...........there's negativity :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Bachmann Thompsons are being made @£53.00 a time with a reversion to moulded handrails/handles .

Amazingly for me at least, some self proclaimed dark side experts are are praising the idea.

Thats is a Bachmann negative/cheap option to me !!.
Phil
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Phil »

mick b wrote:Latest announcements are out . LNER = zip . :idea: :shock:

The Thompson coaches are arriving in BR livery next month , the Teak version are not even mentioned as to their status. :roll: :roll:
Thompson coaches still showing as delivery in Feb/Mar and still in the catalogue (both this year and last years show 2016/17 on the spine but no matter)

I may be getting onto trouble here in case I fall foul of tribal loyalties at the mere mention of the Midland but we might remember that the 1P 0-4-4 is credited to SW Johnson who was employed by the GER and introduced this wheel arrangement there.

Some of the Midland 1P engines were built for the MR at Nielson of Glasgow. When the Great North of Scotland railway needed some of this type they approached Nielson who supplied 9 0-4-4T engines to a design which is credited to Johnson. These became LNER G10. Whether or not the 2 types are similar enough for someone to attempt a conversion I will leave to those brave enough to try, unless we can persuade Bachmann to include the G10 within its tooling options. Unlikely to be a viable market though.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The 1P had a 1 mm (3 inches) wider drivers than the G10 and the G5. The 1P looks similar to the G10 and G5, the G5 has a different front splasher shape. No idea re actual dimensions on all of the above locos. It maybe viable as LNER Loco if and when it arrives perhaps 2 or 3 years away ? .

According to the Bachmann Press day via the dark side report, there was no mention of Teak coaches as to when they were expected. The Bachmann site is rarely correct on deliveries.