Glossy Gresleys!

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Glossy Gresleys!

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Afternoon all!

I was wondering whether anyone had successfully "toned-down" any of these models?

I thought I had read something elsewhere on this forum but naturally cannot find it when I want it!

I have used Games Workshop Satin successfully upon previous recommendations, but have no idea of course as to whether the Hornby gloss finish would take kindly to this?

Any guidance would be much appreciated - I could not resist splashing out on A4 Osprey (even though I have my own reasonable attempt at Golden Eagle). You can never have too many Gresley's!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Glossy Gresleys!

Post by mick b »

Games Workshop have changed the formula and the new version in a silver can tends to dry white ,as if pluming is occurring even when its warmed, not humid etc. One guess how I know !.

Halfords do a Satin Acrylic Varnish (you may have to order online and then collect from your nearest store). I have a can which I haven't used yet. Hornby paint is quite tough , no idea re the Gloss finish though. Test in a small area first.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Glossy Gresleys!

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Cheers Mick, I'm glad I asked!

Sorry to hear you found out the hard way.