Hornby Railroad (ex-Margate) teak coaches and S.E.F. flush glazing.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Hornby Railroad (ex-Margate) teak coaches and S.E.F. flush glazing.

Post by Nova »

mick b wrote: I cant see the point in spending time and money on the old coaches
because I already have them + it allows me to develop vital modelling skills
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Nova wrote:
mick b wrote: I cant see the point in spending time and money on the old coaches
I see where you're coming from, my concern would be what you want to achieve from them.

They're great to chop about and make stuff out of, I'm making some into a 53'6" ECJS Comp at the moment. But if you want to make something more accurate then Mick is right to suggest selling them and purchasing the better version as the problem you can have is that when you've finished updating and detailing you've still got a coach which is 5' too short.

I don't know your level of skill but if you're contemplating changing the bogies, trussing and underframe details I'd be tempted to start with a sheet of styrene and some Evergreen strip and make a coach yourself, it's actually easier than you think and the satisfaction is immense. You can use the underframe from the RR teaks and extend it as well as use the ends and even the roof (splice a new bit in) from your 6 coaches you could get 5.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Dave S wrote:
Nova wrote:
I see where you're coming from, my concern would be what you want to achieve from them.

They're great to chop about and make stuff out of, I'm making some into a 53'6" ECJS Comp at the moment. But if you want to make something more accurate then Mick is right to suggest selling them and purchasing the better version as the problem you can have is that when you've finished updating and detailing you've still got a coach which is 5' too short.

I don't know your level of skill but if you're contemplating changing the bogies, trussing and underframe details I'd be tempted to start with a sheet of styrene and some Evergreen strip and make a coach yourself, it's actually easier than you think and the satisfaction is immense. You can use the underframe from the RR teaks and extend it as well as use the ends and even the roof (splice a new bit in) from your 6 coaches you could get 5.
(third time attempting to post this, the laptop just will not hold a connection :x )

The reason I'm reluctant to get rid of them is because they are the only mainline coaches I have, Not that I have anything to pull them besides an N2 but that's beside the point :? . I will be needing a rake of coaches for when I get Minoru as I intend to run her on club operating nights. I will be getting some bachmann Thompson coaches, which on the Layout I'm planning will eventually form the bulk of coaching stock with older types interspersed in rakes, but it will be at least a month after the purchase of Minoru. given that they will all be in BR they can run together as soon as. But I will need some coaching stock when I repaint Minoru into LNER post war livery.

the basic plan is to buy Minoru, run it in a BR set with whatever BR coaches the club has to hand or alternatively with my teaks, get the Thompson rake and practice teaking on the Hornby rake. repaint Minoru into LNER (or commission someone, still undecided) and run it with the improved teak set whilst I work on the Thompson set.

as for what happens after I may very well rebuild the Gresley stock into 53'6" ECJS, then run two mixed rakes when I can get an A2.

TL;DR I'll still need the teak stock for a while because I have nothing else and because of livery issues.

(TL;DR means Too Long; Didn't Read)
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Nova wrote: I will be getting some bachmann Thompson coaches, which on the Layout I'm planning will eventually form the bulk of coaching stock with older types interspersed in rakes, but it will be at least a month after the purchase of Minoru. given that they will all be in BR they can run together as soon as. But I will need some coaching stock when I repaint Minoru into LNER post war livery.

the basic plan is to buy Minoru, run it in a BR set with whatever BR coaches the club has to hand or alternatively with my teaks, get the Thompson rake and practice teaking on the Hornby rake. repaint Minoru into LNER (or commission someone, still undecided) and run it with the improved teak set whilst I work on the Thompson set.
Ok

The prices being quoted for the Thompson coaches are £50-60 and it's likely that if you want them then you'd have to fork out a significant sum in a short period of time as the production runs are not that large nowadays.

In which case, Apart from practising teaking on the RR I'd save your money and not touch them with anything else.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Dave S wrote:
Ok

The prices being quoted for the Thompson coaches are £50-60 and it's likely that if you want them then you'd have to fork out a significant sum in a short period of time as the production runs are not that large nowadays.

In which case, Apart from practising teaking on the RR I'd save your money and not touch them with anything else.

I was referring to the older Thompson coaches, which tend to sell for under £30 on Ebay.

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Brass sides from Southern Pride and some work will improve the old Bachmanns.
1 thom.jpg
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Nova wrote:I was referring to the older Thompson coaches, which tend to sell for under £30 on Ebay.
Then you're back to the same situation as the Hornby RR (although not quite so bad) unless you rework them like Mick.

It's your money and your choice at the end of the day.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Dave S wrote:
Nova wrote:I was referring to the older Thompson coaches, which tend to sell for under £30 on Ebay.
Then you're back to the same situation as the Hornby RR (although not quite so bad) unless you rework them like Mick.

It's your money and your choice at the end of the day.
what are the problems with them (apart from moulded on detail)? not disregarding what you said, just curious. at the end of the day I'm still new to "accurate" railway modeling compared to the majority on this forum, so I'll take any info I can get

from what I can tell they are the right sort of length (longer than the Hornby ones at least), and if you're referring to the gap between the sides and ends that can be remedied with some cautious application of filler. I know the earlier Thompsons had valances over the frame(?), but I was of the impression it was removed in later years.

for now they will be acceptable as decent representations of Thompson coaches for the price that they sell for, but I'll happily improve them once I have a working layout and some semblance of a fleet.

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Wrong shape and moulded vents on Roof , deep glazing problem as RR version , Battery Boxes part of Truss Rods, poor definition on bogies and large couplings (swap for newest version), poor moulded detail on ends and underframes.

Much better than RR in that they are the right length.
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Mick beat me to it.

Thanks
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

My old 'Margate' coaches got re-modelled some time ago. (I did describe the process in my 'Make do and Mend') thread.

Here is a slightly better picture showing two of the resulting vehicles. (I did rework the roofs after taking the original pictures.)
Post_12.JPG
By stripping down the mouldings and re-using the sides and roofs (rather like a Kirk kit) I used the strange length vestibuled vehicles to produce correct length non-vestibuled stock. This (of course) was just before Hornby produced theirs!)

The glazing is partly SEF and partly hand-cut acrylic. It was sometimes necessary to scrape the moulded window apertures to fit, because they aren't all the same.

The underframes are scratch built, the bogies are the originals, and the ends are 247 developments (slightly reworked in the case of the brake ends).

I don't run them in the same train as my newer Hornby ones, but I quite like them non-the-less.

There are still quite a lot of pieces left, but they are going to be used in a future project!
Dunluce Castle
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Dunluce Castle »

I must say this thread has given me a lot of food for thought, especially when I have some of these RR carriages.
Nelson
1̶6̶ 17 years old and modelling the LNER, LMS NCC and UTA (steam of course)
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

For anyone interested,a long time ago, I had an article on improving these published in the March 1982 edition of Model Railway Constructor.
The Green Engine
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by The Green Engine »

MikeTrice wrote:For anyone interested,a long time ago, I had an article on improving these published in the March 1982 edition of Model Railway Constructor.
Would certainly be interested! I've been thinking about using these as a basis for generic GNR coaches for rake variety.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

The Green Engine wrote: Would certainly be interested! I've been thinking about using these as a basis for generic GNR coaches for rake variety.
PM me an email address?

For GNR this might be of interest: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... try2605981