Rolling stock for the Tyne Dock to Consett Line

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

johndon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Rolling stock for the Tyne Dock to Consett Line

Post by johndon »

I'm planning a model of South Pelaw Junction on the Tyne Dock to Consett line so I've started building some of the iconic iron ore wagons. I'm using the Dave Alexander kit as it goes together a lot easier than the Dave Bradwell version (at least for someone like me who is hopeless at soldering).

Progress on a few of the wagons so far:

John
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Rolling stock for the Tyne Dock to Consett Line

Post by Nova »

those look fantastic so far, John.

I'm slightly curious as to what scale they are. At a glance it looks like O to me.

I also want to remark about how the Tyne dock hoppers have always reminded me of German coal hoppers, particularly with the top-hinged side doors.

to my eyes they seem completely out of place behind a 9F or an O1 :?
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

John, you will not be disappointed with the DA kit, on our club Kiln Road layout we had to stop at 5 hoppers because DA had sold out, but one of our guys was talking to him the other night and he is just waiting for some parts before they will be available again. You have to be careful how words are angled on these topics because I'm not sure what a 9F or O1 would be doing at the front of some German hoppers, these are 4mm models, we are modelling late 50's early 60's so we have a couple of options for the front of our set, 9F, O1, Q6's and we've a DA Q7 currently being made.
Nova

Post by Nova »

60526 wrote:you have to be careful how words are angled on these topics because I'm not sure what a 9F or O1 would be doing at the front of some German hoppers,

I should have worded that better :oops:

what I meant was the Tyne Dock hoppers look like German coal hoppers and thus look out of place compared to other British rolling stock of the period.
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

What you could have said is that the German hoppers were pulled by O1's, it sounds the same but it would have been 01's. Googled this to find that the TD hoppers ran from 1954 to 1974. Of interest for 7mm modellers I came across this from John Firminger
http://www.finescalebrass.co.uk/john-fi ... oppers.htm
johndon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by johndon »

Nova wrote:those look fantastic so far, John.

I'm slightly curious as to what scale they are. At a glance it looks like O to me.
Cheers, they are 4mm scale.

John
johndon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by johndon »

60526 wrote:John, you will not be disappointed with the DA kit, on our club Kiln Road layout we had to stop at 5 hoppers because DA had sold out, but one of our guys was talking to him the other night and he is just waiting for some parts before they will be available again.
I've been buying them from Dave for the last couple of years, I've got 20 of them now :D

John
johndon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by johndon »

I've also been working on some 16T wagons (Bachmann) and 21T wagons (a mix of Hornby, detailed Dapol, and Parkside) all of which have been fitted with 3 link or instanter couplings as well as P4 wheels.

John
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

There were some not dissimilar hoppers on the LMS, used from Toton to Stonebridge Park with power station coal. They looked odd behind 8Fs and 9Fs, and even more so behind class 86 electrics :D
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
johndon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by johndon »

Lots to do still but I do have a full trains worth of bodies now...

johndon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by johndon »

As a break from construction, I thought I'd have a go at weathering one of the painted iron ore wagons. Below is a photo (copyright Howie Milburn) of the real thing:

and below is my attempt at the same thing in model form. Weathering is done with 3 different colours of pastel chalk.

John
johndon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by johndon »

Work continues on the underframes of the iron ore wagons:

John
cctransuk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by cctransuk »

[quote="Nova"
I also want to remark about how the Tyne dock hoppers have always reminded me of German coal hoppers[/quote]

I think that you'll find that the ex-LMS Stonebridge Park power station coal bogie hoppers had a much closer lineage to the German hoppers.

http://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-an ... 0t-hoppers

Regards,
John Isherwood.
1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

I did notice the resemblance between the Tyne Dock ore wagons and the LMS Stonebridge ones at the time, and remember being intrigued by a (Fleischmann was it ?) German model railway catalogue showing similar wagons.
Although, comparing photos, the two English wagons were only superficially similar (and the denser load of the Tyne Dock ones may have been a factor) does anyone know how the 1929 LMS design originated (it was built by Birmingham C&W) and why the design was a dead end until the Tyne Dock wagons were built? Did the German wagons predate the LMS ones (built 1929?)
The Stonebridge Park trains were known as "Ghost Trains" This may have been because, I think, they were timetabled to run at night. However, it might equally have been based on the experience of one passing; I think I recollect that the wagons were very quiet when in motion. I can't remember between loaded and empty but my observations were in the daytime, possibly when they may have been running very late, but my recollection is that were usually moving very fast for a coal train (having two 8Fs on the front probably helped that!) with no oscillation or couplings being snatched - very quiet. In my case I'm going back 55 years and memories aren't always reliable; but can anyone comment on the Tyne Dock wagons in this respect?
I did shed bash Tyne Dock on two occasions (the shed seemed to be at terrible state of neglect and decay, I remember, with no roof) but my juvenile interest was only in clearing the pump fitted 9Fs and I didn't take much notice of the trains.
Nova

Post by Nova »

1H was 2E wrote: The Stonebridge Park trains were known as "Ghost Trains" This may have been because, I think, they were timetabled to run at night. However, it might equally have been based on the experience of one passing; I think I recollect that the wagons were very quiet when in motion. I can't remember between loaded and empty but my observations were in the daytime, possibly when they may have been running very late, but my recollection is that were usually moving very fast for a coal train (having two 8Fs on the front probably helped that!) with no oscillation or couplings being snatched - very quiet.
an educated guess based on my knowledge of how different types of rolling stock behave: I'd say it's a virtue of the hoppers being bogie wagons, thus more stable. More weight per wagon could also play a roll in improving the momentum and stability, more weight means more inertia/momentum and thus more stability. Screw Link couplings would also play a role in reducing/illuminating chain-snatch. all these factors come together to create a wagon that handles like a coach and is very quiet...at least on paper.