Oxford Rail N7

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Oxford Rail N7

Post by teaky »

Amongst the latest offerings from Oxford Rail is an N7 in GER, LNER and BR liveries plus sound equipped versions too.

http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collecti ... -or76n7002
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Oxford Rail N7

Post by Nova »

:o add that to the list of locos I never thought would get made any time soon
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

All I can say is lets hope they do some proper research before they tool the N7 up.

Woodcock29
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

Yes, it would be unfortunate if the chimney was always on the left no matter which side you were looking at. :lol:
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Sufficient differences across the various lots constructed and over time that this could be a minefield for Oxford Rail unless they consult known authorities (e.g. Lyn Brooks, Locomotive Co-ordinator of the GERS who advised Hornby on their various GE models) given the fuss over some fairly simple wagons.

Personally I'd be more accepting if it was a Bachby production, preferably Hornby.
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

The problem is that when a model is produced it closes the market for a better model for some time.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Then again, there are probably in excess of 30 other LNER 'small black loco' classes, equally deserving of a RTR model on grounds of numbers, ubiquity and endurance in service until the final decade of steam operations in their area; so any other manufacturer has plenty of alternative choices when looking to offer an LNER loco subject?

Possibly I am wildly optimistic, but with the most recent wagon release being decidedly better than what came earlier, OR do seem to me to be moving up the learning curve.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

the most recent wagon release being decidedly better
Forgive me, I don't really follow what they release - which one was that?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The LNER six plank general merchandise open. Correctly dimensioned and looks right. Error in the brake gear, but since it is clip fit this is ten minutes tops to sort out. You can bevel the inside of the tops of the doors to ice the cake if not planning to tarp it once running on your layout.

Deserves acknowledgment I feel. Firstly, an excellent subject choice (Oxford could only have gone one better by selecting the LMS equivalent, for an even more numerous grouping and BR steam period wagon that has never had a RTR model in OO) and executed decently. The longer established - and by this factor much more experienced - competitors have managed recent wagon releases that have larger deviations from the truth: without exciting wild criticism.
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

Hatfield Shed wrote:. The longer established - and by this factor much more experienced - competitors have managed recent wagon releases that have larger deviations from the truth: without exciting wild criticism.
Indeed they have, and it's a practice that goes back at least as far as the much vaunted Hornby Dublo SD range.
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
Phil
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Phil »

65447 wrote:Sufficient differences across the various lots constructed and over time that this could be a minefield for Oxford Rail unless they consult known authorities (e.g. Lyn Brooks, Locomotive Co-ordinator of the GERS who advised Hornby on their various GE models) given the fuss over some fairly simple wagons.

Personally I'd be more accepting if it was a Bachby production, preferably Hornby.
Can only share 65447 caution re this announcement with varieties of boiler, safety valve cab side windows, cab roof, bunker, chimneys etc.

ORs announced intentions are:- GER 1002, LNER 8011 and 'E9621' in 'early BR'.

Yeadon 27 and 'Green book' 9A are also important references.

1002 was turned out in GER grey in June 1921 to Jan 1925 when it went under LNER black. Only 1001 carried blue and had its dome in a different position to the 1921 series.

LNER 8011 was so numbered in October 1925. If OR use the same body as 1002 then it is valid to Jan 1937 when it lost its condensing gear.

BR (E)9621 is the engine eventually preserved although I cannot find reference to an 'E' prefix. Given a N7/4 boiler with round topped firebox when still numbered 7999 in February 1946, it was numbered 9621 in Jan 1947 changing to BR 69621 in January 1949.

Since this is the only surviving version available for scanning one hopes OR respect the differences between these engines when they go into production. I would be happy to pay more than the published price to obtain an accurate LNER version.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Phil wrote:Can only share 65447 caution re this announcement with varieties of boiler, safety valve cab side windows, cab roof, bunker, chimneys etc.
And those are only for starters :P

But the point is that some were dependent on the original construction lot features; so far the OR choice appears to be restricted to those Stratford-built and classified by the LNER as N7/GE.
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

I have already made this point elsewhere. Possibly the most difficult feature to modify would be the cab windows. The numbers quoted related to the 22 built to the GER standard not the 112 subsequently built to the revised LNER standard. At least Iain Rice showed how it could be done many years ago with a Finecast kit. I wouldn't want to go there with a new RTR model.