Magnetic air/vacuum hoses for carriages and fitted stock

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Magnetic air/vacuum hoses for carriages and fitted stock

Post by Nova »

I recall one time finding out about a product available in the US that uses small hoses and magnets to create "functional" brake hoses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLkopdzLPLs

my first thought when I saw this was that it would look great on a rake of vacuum fitted wagons, with the air hoses located above the coupling and plainly noticeable.

I'm tempted to have a rake of fitted wagons coupled using screw-links or dinghams (the ends would have kadees to ease with coupling locomotives) with connected brake pipes throughout. it would certainly turn heads at exhibitions.

it could also be used for the jumper cables on the ends of Gresley coaches.

I'm wondering what other members think

Edit: it has been suggested to use heatshrink to improve the strength of the join where the hose attaches to the metal wire
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Magnetic air/vacuum hoses for carriages and fitted stock

Post by jwealleans »

Article in MRJ over 10 years ago describing the same thing. I think it was Jim Smith-Wright. I'm not sure whether he did any more than the one rake of wagons.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Magnetic air/vacuum hoses for carriages and fitted stock

Post by notascoobie »

I've seen it done in 7mm but the hoses didn't always join up properly with some hoses joined at angles to the next.

Regards,

Vernon