LNER Teak Flying Scotsman coaches

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: LNER Teak Flying Scotsman coaches

Post by Atso »

Hi Graeme,

As a general rule of thumb I would say that anything with a gangway at the ends would qualify as a 'vestibule' coach with regard to lining. For anything built after the grouping, for the 1930s it would be lined if it had end gangways and unlined with black ends if it didn't - pre grouping stock seems to be a bit more of a minefield but generally this would seem to be the rule for these as well.

Therefore both the restaurant triplet and BG would be lined (although some of the pre grouping BGs apparently would have lost their lining by the 1930s). Referring to Steve Banks's 'Teak coaches and livery' page the four picture down shows a fully lined steel BG. While only a close up of the coach, I believe that this is of a well known picture taken at Grantham of the Flying Scotsman set in the late 1930s, likewise with the BG shown in the first picture on the page - link to Steve's page below.

http://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-an ... ak-coaches

With regard to the triplet set or generally with corridor articulated stock; would the inner ends between the articulation points have been painted black or teaked?
Steve
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

The preserved inner end of the sleeping car section in the NRM collection is teak:
Image635.jpg
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Intuition Graham I just thought they may have been of interest
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

MikeTrice wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:44 pm The preserved inner end of the sleeping car section in the NRM collection is teak:
Image635.jpg
Thank's for that Mike, you'd think I'd pay more attention when I'm up in York - I most certainly will in August!
Steve
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Again, thanks all - and most impressed with all the knowledge that comes to light from the Northern hemisphere when we're tucked into bed in the southern latitudes.

I think (hope) that all your responses have finally got me sorted out and that there will be no further long-winded questions for you to ponder other than maybe finding out a bit more about the livery of the 'Coronation' express (as the set on sale on ebay). Midnight reading here (Railway Carriages Album, G M Kichenside) tells me was 'Marlborough Grey' for the upper panels and Garter Blue for the lower. The observation car on the ebay add appears to be all grey and no sign of Garter Blue. ???????????

Graeme
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Atso wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:22 pm Thank's for that Mike, you'd think I'd pay more attention when I'm up in York - I most certainly will in August!
The Sleeping Car section has not been on public display for more years than I can remember. As far as I am aware it is tucked away in store near Swindon.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Graeme Leary wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:02 pm Midnight reading here (Railway Carriages Album, G M Kichenside) tells me was 'Marlborough Grey' for the upper panels and Garter Blue for the lower.
That should be Marlborough Blue for the upper panels
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

MikeTrice wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:59 amThe Sleeping Car section has not been on public display for more years than I can remember. As far as I am aware it is tucked away in store near Swindon.
That's a real shame Mike, hopefully there will be something of interest on display when I get up there - if not there is always the NYMR to keep me entertained as we'll be staying a couple of miles outside of Pickering! :D
Graeme Leary wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:02 pm The observation car on the ebay add appears to be all grey and no sign of Garter Blue. ???????????
Hi Graeme,

Looking at the ebay listing to observation car is unfinished and appears to be largely unpainted from it's clear plastic parts (Coppercraft kit?). Precision paints sell the correct colours which hopefully the original builder has used. If no Mr Trice has a mix ration for painting such coaches using Vajello paints - how's you scratch built Coronation set coming along Mike?
Steve
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

And I thought I'd exhausted every possible question to do with LNER Restaurant Triplet sets.

However, getting close to fixing sides and roofs to the underframes but can I assume that there were buffers between the kitchen car and the Restaurant cars on either side? (My Comet kit is a 'sides' only so using original Hornby underframes, and assume as well as shortening them to correct scale length I will have to refix the buffers on all of the 6 ends).

My reference is Jenkinson and Campling's great 'Historic Carriage Drawings' but no buffers appear on any of the drawings of the side on views (even on the 'outer' ends of the restaurant coaches) but common sense would suggest to me that there would have been buffers at each end of each of the 3 cars.

Graeme
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Darryl Tooley »

No, articulated sets had buffers on the outer ends only. The inner ends were kept a fixed distance apart by dint of being mounted on the same bogie, and so had no need of buffers.

D
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi Graeme,

As Darryl says there would have only been buffers at the outer ends of the articulated set. Below is a link to a picture of the one of the coaches in the quad set when under restoration. These will hopefully give you an idea as to how the inner ends of the articulated coaches were mounted on the bogies in reality.

http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/graphics/sto ... oach_3.JPG
Steve
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks Atso and Darryl - and I must admit that in the dead of (our) night it did occur to me that the articulated bogies did all that was necessary to keep the units apart. And good photo too Atso, much appreciated.
Graeme