LNER Teak Flying Scotsman coaches

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

LNER Teak Flying Scotsman coaches

Post by Graeme Leary »

I note in LNER Passenger Trains and Formations 1923-1967 that a few sets of this express in the 1923-37 period carried what is described as BG Bogie Vans. After (probably too quick) a scan of Hornby's sites I cannot locate any reference to them having made a 'Bogie Van' which I'm after to get as accurate a representation of this express. Can anybody direct me to a model (if ever made) or one of the more common teak models that could be adapted to an acceptable appearance.
Likewise what is also described in the same tome as RTS 3rd/1st Restaurant Triplet.
Many thanks.
Graeme Leary
New Zealand
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Teak Flying Scotsman coaches

Post by jwealleans »

Graeme,

This is Hornby's Gresley BG. I think they were done in teak, but I bought a maroon one and repainted it.

The triplet you can only achieve by building. Ian Kirk did one in plastic and Comet still offer one in brass. Both are the 1924 diagram which was superseded in 1938.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hornby BG is the best version so far of their Gresley Corridor Coaches . They have place the beading in the correct position on them. They have done two different numbers of them so far in Teak. I haven't seen any on ebay for quite a while.

Kirk did a kit for them, MJT still do a kit as well.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

If you've never built a coach kit before, then barring the non-corridor "B", the Kirk kit for the BG must be about the easiest place to start...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks all - gives me some options to pursue but would be grateful if could help with following:-

jwealleans: Re the BR maroon Gresley R4351C - if I go this way, to get the 'grained/shaded' effect of the teak is there any particular paint and technique you could recommend. Only ever done single colour painting so far.

mickb, Atlantic & jwealleans: Have had a look at Kirk Kits website and nothing under LNER is listed as 'Bogie Vans' or 'Restaurant Triplets'. Would appreciate their product ref if someone can help (need to be sure as, other than building a SE Finecast Sentinel steam railcar - to a barely acceptable standard, kit building is unexplored territory and want to be sure I've got the correct item.

Also had a look through Hornby's Collector's Guide list to (I presume) all the models ever made but cannot locate what might be the 2 BGs you mention mickb. Any help much appreciated.

Graeme
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Graeme Leary wrote:
mickb, Atlantic & jwealleans: Have had a look at Kirk Kits website and nothing under LNER is listed as 'Bogie Vans' or 'Restaurant Triplets'. Would appreciate their product ref if someone can help (need to be sure as, other than building a SE Finecast Sentinel steam railcar - to a barely acceptable standard, kit building is unexplored territory and want to be sure I've got the correct item.
If the Kirk Kits website you mention is the Coopercraft site that Kirk is now listed under I wouldn't order anything from there.

Unless you see the owner in person at a show you've no likelihood of anything arriving in the post, or getting an answer from an email enquiry. Getting a refund on a online sale is not guaranteed either.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hornby R4530 and A
https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows ... Qty1_1.jpg

it appears to be a rare animal .

Ebay for them and for Kirk kits do not use Coopercraft as mentioned already.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Yep, entirely support what has been said about Coopercraft.

The kit references you want are 8865 (Triplet set) and 8842 for the BG.
Rustynuts
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Rustynuts »

Bill bedford does the full brake which is a D43 BG, a picture of one I have built for my 1924 scotsman rake is shown below:

Paul Rusted
Last edited by Rustynuts on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

AFAIK the only FS brake which isn't available is the steel one for the 1938 set, although I gather there have been etches done for it in the past.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

If you are down to that level of detail then the earlier period BV would have the truss-style underframe with GN Fox pattern bogies (as per Jonathan's model above) whereas the Hornby model has the later (mid-1930s onwards) angle truss underframe with Gresley bogies.

I've looked up an older 'Isinglass' list and John Edgson only noted the Ian Kirk kit number as above; no Comet etched sides or similar although John did not cover all potential kit sources, just the well-known ones (Comet, Ian Kirk, Mailcoach and D&S).
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

I have been trying to find an earlier posting of mine headed Flying Scotsman Express carriage roof nameboards (or something similar). Seems to have disappeared but in same general area as this topic maybe someone could help me.

I am in the process of 'creating' the 3 car Restaurant 'Triplet' by judicious (haha) cutting up of 4 Hornby Buffet Car coaches R4173 (when/if I can find them) and using 1 side of each of 2 Buffets to get a reasonably good likeness for one of the 2 Restaurants - windows not exactly the same but fairly acceptable - and then repeating the process for the other Restaurant car.

2 queries though:-
(1) Would the 'Flying Scotsman' roof nameboards have been on all 3 parts of the triplet; ie the kitchen and the 2 restaurants cars? and

(b) From Banks and Carters 'LNER Passenger Trains and Formations' I see the Restaurant Triplet coach numbers on the 1936 formation (the one I'm 'recreating') are shown as 16493/1. Any advice on which was on each of the 3 'units' of the triplet - inclined to think that 16491 would have been the Restaurant 1st; 16492 the Kitchen car and 16493 the Restaurant 3rd. (No basis for this, just an 'educated guess' as they say in The Chase!)

Thankful for any input.

Graeme Leary (New Zealand)

PS: If anyone has a spare Buffet coach or 2 and also a Hornby Full Brake (their R4530) I'd gladly pay a fair price, plus freight to New Zealand and take them them/it off your hands.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

In answer to 1 above according to photos in "Named Trains on LNER Lines" yes all three vehicles carried nameboards.
For 2 Harris records 16491 for Rest First and 16493 for Rest Third. He also mentions that these vehicles were the White Allom cars.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Graeme I replied to your point 1 query here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11565

John
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks for replies (and apologies JASd17 for not picking up your earlier answer to my prior query). Again please forgive my ignorance but what are 'White Allom Cars'? Could google but no doubt you have the details at hand.
Graeme