Help with prototype models, Stamford East ex-GNR engine shed

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Percybigun
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Help with prototype models, Stamford East ex-GNR engine shed

Post by Percybigun »

Hi i'm new here, well not so new as have been lurking a long time but now finally registered because i'm a bit stuck on a model!
I've just built the OO prototype models "lner engine shed" and am well impressed with it. As with all kits i build, i like to add finer detail at the end, rainwater goods, wall and roof features, etc. With generic kits i design/guess what goes where, but If i'm building a real prototype i prefer to add the details as per the original.
I've spent an eternity trawling the web for photo's or drawings, but only found a couple of distant/grainy useless images.
Has anybody got a couple of decent photos of this shed, its ex-GNR sub-shed 35A. Particularly i'm interested to see what details/apparatus to add to the water tank, vents/plant to the pump house etc. i'm aware RCTVS (sp?) website has pics of it, but am a bit ahem reluctant to pay to look at a photo! I'm also aware there are books containing the photo's and drawings, but they are very pricey, i'm on a budget, and i've already got way too many railway books and stuff!
I'm loving the Prototype models much more than Metcalfe/superquick, especially the low price of their kits, my only critisism is the doors on all their various engine shed kits are not high enough to take a OO steamer on standard hornby track (very annoying when discovering this on completion of a kit, and then having to alter/remedy/butcher it!
I hope more of the old Prototype range comes available again, if marketed well they'd be very successful.
Also Does anyone know of any other "lesser known" brands of card, wood or plastic kits from the past (or present!) who do LNER/GNR buildings?
I'm having a stab at all the old kit brands,
Such as Bilteezi, Builder Plus (both basic but cheap and easy to embelish).
Theres some nice kits by lesser known brands on Freestone and Antics websites but the kits i want are always out of stock or out of production (howard scenics, model yard etc) and some of them have ancient/poor pics or no pics of the kits at all, so i darent buy them in case they look crap (such as roger smith and alphagraphix).
I've tried Scalescenes and ModelRailScenery, lovely kits but i dont like the way they warp/bend and am not keen on alot of their textures (and i've tried getting them supplied pre-printed, and was very disappointed with some bizarre colours (and why they were printed on shiney paper for weathered/scruffy buildings?).
Another old card kit brand i've spotted is "Cav'ndish Products", are there kits any good?
I'm not too bothered if card kits are a bit flimsy (Prototype's bad for this) if they are cheap, cos it costs me nowt for scraps of wood and card cost nowt to strengthen them), its more originality, good textures, victorian/edwardian architecture, and attention to detail i'm interested in.
joppyuk1
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: Help with prototype models, Stamford East ex-GNR engine shed

Post by joppyuk1 »

Can't help with photos unfortunately. but suggest you try gettin the books you need from the local library? If they don't have it in stock or reserve then they can usually get hold of a copy via inter-library loan. You may have to wait a while, and it might cost a bit, but far cheaper than buying an expensive book you only use once.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Great Northern Railway Engine Sheds, vol 1 (ISBN 1 871608 074) will be of some assistance. Two photos, p8, p112, first one decently clear. Comparison with other small sheds in this volume will demonstrate that guttering and downpipes were 'optional extras' for the original owners of these buildings.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

The GNR Society might also be an additional source of information and worth considering becoming a member:
http://www.gnrsociety.com

Happy modelling.
Last edited by 65447 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Percybigun
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Percybigun »

Many thanks for the replies, i'll try the library but probably will buy the GNR books now i've seen them cheaper
31A
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by 31A »

The Through Station kit from ModelYard is based on Welwyn North station:

http://www.modelyard.co.uk/card-kits.html

The Goods Shed looks as though it might possibly be a GN building, but I'm not sure whether it actually is.
Wainwright
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Wainwright »

Railway Bylines had a series of articles a few years back called 'tales of Boston Loco' which covered the wider area of which Stamford was part... several pictures of various locos and I think there was a picture of the building you seek.