Bachmann B1 "Springbok" replacement wheelset

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Percybigun
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Bachmann B1 "Springbok" replacement wheelset

Post by Percybigun »

I recently bought a second hand OO Bachmann B1 lner "springbok" at a train fair, and i was diddled, which is unlike me but i know to avoid that trader in future! I did notice some wobble on its test run, but having recently almost cured the wobble on a bachmann V2 (which i got dirt cheap), i thought it would be easy, and this B1 wasn't so cheap!
The B1 is loco drive, unboxed, mint condition, has no model reference number on its chassis, both loco & tender are marked underneath "hong kong".
When i first run it on my layout it almost seized solid on 3rd radius curves, derailed bogeys, and has the wildest wobble and egg shaped buckled wheels i've ever seen. I would estimate the loco is 10 years old.
I then googled "bachmann B1 problems" and then realised this model of loco is a lemon, especially hong kong versions. I wont buy any bachmann hong kongs in future!

I emailed Bachmann customer support asking for a replacement wheelset, saying i would pay (reluctantly) if required, and i said i dont know the loco's model number or age, just that its marked "hong kong".

They replied saying the loco is very old from 1987 and built by replica railways, and replacement wheelsets are not available.

I've seen a few people on forums got the B1 complete wheelsets replaced free by Bachmann, so surely they are available, and whats this guff about 1987 replica railways? The loco looks much newer. I thought it was Mainline in 1987 anyway?

My preferred option is a new Bachmann wheelset because it comes with drive rods attached, i am fairly competent at loco servicing/maintenance, but have never stripped down a steamer's wheelset (and am nervous of attempting it on a Flimsy Bachmann). I would attempt it on a Hornby, but Hornby dont make naff wheels which buckle and need replacing (cough ahem)!.

I tried cleaning all the axle bearings, re-lubed (very lightly), and gave it a light service (it was totally minging and seized up the worst i've ever seen, considering a serviced my large fleet of Hornby/triang 60's 70's & 80's loco's recently - they had sat in a suitcase for 30 years and all still ran ok, and after servicing all run like new!)

Anyway after a good clean & lube it slightly improved, but is still an absolute knacker. I adjusted the front bogey and stopped it de-railing, and its a bit quieter now, but generally its unusable.

As i mentioned a took a gamble on a cheap bachmann v2 recently and a light service pretty much sorted it, but it has slight wobble due to the wheel centres being she-ite, but its not too bad. The v2 and the B1 look similar with the body off, similar motors, split chassis etc.

Is there anywhere sells the bachmann wheelsets new, is bachmanns suport email correct, and if not how hard is it to assemble a Bachmann wheelset with Alan Gibson wheels? On his pdf guide it looks a nightmare.
Another issue i have with Alan gibson is the complicated price list, i cant tell if the wheels are priced per pair or for a full set, i dont mind spending £10-20 tops on a replacement wheelset but i cant plough like another £50 into this POS loco. I'd rather just buy another 2 second hand B1's and hope i can scrape 3 pairs of straight wheels from them!

Why did bachmann make so many loco's with rubbish wheels, other manufacturers have made them for 100 years and the wheels stay straight, why did bachmann reinvent the wheel - they are very expensive new and couldnt get the basics right. Also i often wonder how Bachmann loco's are so highly respected when they've made so many lemons, all cos the loco's are so pretty eh!

I'm surprised they are still in business TBH.

I've got 50 year old triang loco's with moon mileage and the wheels all run dead straight.

I'll be more careful in future with older bachmanns, and it hasnt put me off buying them, but whats worrying me is i bought a new Bachmann A2 (expensive, but gorgeous!) and its developed a slight wobble on the middle wheels (just out of warranty, its had little use, always been boxed, doesnt need servicing). I hope i dont end up needing new wheels in it because it looks a real cow of a job, and does this mean my other new bachmanns will all end up as wobblies :(
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Bachmann B1 "Springbok" replacement wheelset

Post by 65447 »

Replica substantially predates Bachmann and has its origins in the Airfix range produced by Palitoy, which also produced models under the Mainline brand, and that were subsequently acquired by Dapol. The models were produced by Kader of Hong Kong. As has been realised by other model companies in the past and even recently, the intellectual property in the tooling often lies with the manufacturer and, even if it does not, possession of the tools is often 9/10ths of the law.

A certain trader commissioned Kader to produce a number of models and spare parts under the Replica brand name - including your B1, which was actually under development by Kader for Mainline when the latter company folded. Dapol got involved by challenging the ownership of the intellectual assets but, in this instance, Replica was able to continue to trade. The trader was reputed to be hot on quality control with unacceptable products being returned to Kader, so that does beg the question as to the present condition of your B1 'Springbok', which was produced in 1987.

In 1987 Kader took over the US company named Bachmann and formed Bachmann Industries Europe in 1989. Production of the then original Bachmann range used the available tooling including that hitherto used for products under the Replica brand, which consequently faded away. Production of Bachmann products for Europe and the UK commenced in 1990.

Since then Kader has folded, which caused Hornby considerable business stress.

It is very wrong to go slagging off Bachmann for a product that they had nothing to do with originally. The tooling and components have undergone several iterations of improvement since then, which is almost certainly the reason that Bachmann cannot provide you with spares and are under no obligation to do so. If you buy cheap expect cheap and don't be surprised if things are not what they seem, especially if something is 30 years old.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Replica Railways still exist contact them , they still have stocks of the Bodies and Tenders so maybe able to help.

Another way is if you can find a secondhand Bachmann chassis for the B1 . It still suffers from breaking plastic muff axles however, unless you are very lucky and find a latest DCC version to buy .

Bachmann don't sell complete chassis's for any models before you ask them.

Last resort stick it on ebay someone will buy it.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

In view of its age does this model have a pancake motor?
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I to have a Bachmann B1, bought last year, and this one is a Bachmann one, as it has the plastic half axle, a couple which have cracked, this version have square holes for the axles, which make quartering easy, the older Replica version has round holes in the axles, which can be bought off of Pete's Spares (try E Bay).

I did glue the axles back together again, which gave me time to test it running, it was quite and strong , having a silver can motor, after a couple of weeks it failed again, I might get round to having another go at it again in the future, as it's a good looking machine.

manna

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Percybigun wrote:...split chassis ... "bachmann B1 problems" and then realised this model of loco is a lemon ... Is there anywhere sells the bachmann wheelsets new, is bachmanns support email correct, and if not how hard is it to assemble a Bachmann wheelset with Alan Gibson wheels? ...
All the split chassis steamers are lemons in short. There are no longer any manufacturer spares as they are obsolete, and no alternative spares worth a damn available. Learn from your own and other's experience (amply documented on line) and cut your losses immediately by not touching them!
Percybigun wrote: ... whats worrying me is i bought a new Bachmann A2 (expensive, but gorgeous!) and its developed a slight wobble on the middle wheels (just out of warranty, its had little use, always been boxed, doesnt need servicing). I hope i dont end up needing new wheels in it because it looks a real cow of a job, and does this mean my other new bachmanns will all end up as wobblies.
Swapping the driven wheelsets on Bachmann's current standard steam mechanisms is very simple - if required - eight screws on the A2, three to release mechanism from body, three to release keeper plate, two on the crank axles to release the valve gear. That's pretty typical of Bach's construction.

Hopefully better news: having discovered how quickly the Bachmann split chassis products introduced in the 1990s wore out when used by an enthusiastic operator like myself, I was very pleased by the construction of the WD 2-8-0 released in 1999. Proper steel axles and wiper pick up. Mine have been pounding away since, with all the ballast replaced with lead for twice the all up loco weight as supplied, and are still 'perfect' now despite running pretty much every day. (A split chassis model of similar weight will be 'all used up' despite numerous running repairs, after about five years of this rate of operation.) I think that's a pretty good indicator of the general reliability of the current Bachmann steam mechanism construction. I have examples of I think eighteen Bachmann steam loco mechanisms, typically in multiples, some powering old and very heavy whitemetal bodies, and have yet to experience a single failure. (The Hornby steam product in similar variety and quantity, one failure, a split axle gear within minutes of first running it, warranty job.) I do take care to ensure good lubrication, grease inside and a regular oil round of the crankpins and joints on a two monthly cycle.
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

This is an old problem; I have found Bachmann helpful in exchanging wheelsets - £12 I think is the current price for diy.
'it is a great shame that they will not make available replacement chassis for these models - it would earn them some much-needed gratitude from disappointed owners. The Comet version is beyond my abilities. In desperation I have removed the plastic wheel inserts from two - they bulge and cause the wobble and knock.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

I only asked about the motor as some years ago Replica were able to supply B1 wheelsets already linked to coupling rods.
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

Are the new Bachy B1's due this year fitted with a new chassis in place of the old split frame?
Sea Eagle
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Sea Eagle »

RayS wrote:Are the new Bachy B1's due this year fitted with a new chassis in place of the old split frame?
Yes - the Bachmann B1s have had a new DCC ready chassis for a good couple of years now. In my experience it runs well and also has better detailing than the old split chassis.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

RayS wrote:...'it is a great shame that they will not make available replacement chassis for these models - it would earn them some much-needed gratitude from disappointed owners...
Bachmann have the experience from when the split chassis mechs were current product, and complete replacement split chassis mechanisms were catalogued and available for practically the entire range. Demand was low, and they had to be sold virtually at cost to make sales at all.

I too would be very pleased to be able to buy mechanisms as seperate pieces, but there's no arguing with experience that suggests this is not a commercial prospect. The 'work around' is to purchase the mechanism spare that just happens to have a loco body etc. with it, and personally sell on the pieces not required. The similarly lamented fact that body spares are not available for those who stand on the body or drop a soldering iron on it, etc. works for us in this instance. Spare loco bodies and tenders do sell - eventually - may take a couple of years; I feel that the decline to extinction of those businesses that at one time 'broke' models in order to sell such spares is an indication of how small the demand for parts actually is.
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

Thanks Sea Eagle - I have steered away from Bachmann so long I was not au fait with their latest. Been buying Hornby - J50/Peckett/J15/D16/B12 recently. Spent far too much!

Although 3 of my 4 B1's - 1 Replica, 2 Bachmann, are currently running OK, I think they will have to be replaced; have pre-ordered Stembok as a start, and see Hattons have an apple green BR one almost half price, so might be tempted. Might try one of Bachmann's to complete the trio.

Thanks for helpful info.
Percybigun
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Percybigun »

Thanks for the replies and info, does anyone know if Alan gibson B1 wheels will fit my HOng Kong 1987 B1, and roughly how much are his wheels?
I'll keep my eyes pealed for a bachmann chassis, but the chassis itself on my B1 is in good order so new wheels should sort it.
Ok my B1 wasnt made by Bachmann, but my V2 was, and its got horrendously deformed wheels (even on the pony truck, which is grossly unacceptable build quality for such a simple wheel, and such a high price)