Questions regarding Heljan's O2

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Questions regarding Heljan's O2

Post by Nova »

I intend to get Heljan wonderful looking O2 at some point, but I recall reading that there were some issues initially.

does this still persist of has it been sorted?
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Questions regarding Heljan's O2

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I don't think there's been such a thing as a second batch so if I were you I would assume that anything reported initially still applies.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

One might ask what particular concerns you have? I have an O2/3, and certainly intend buying the O2/1 and O2/2 if they are produced.

It's a more complex and to some extent weaker construction than the 2-8-0s from Bachmann and Hornby, on the other hand packed with weight so tractively the best UK 8 coupled goods model I have encountered in OO. Runs sweetly and smoothly, reliable on the basis of a year of regular use.

Some silly detail errors in the cab (firehole doors) and on the tender (different length handrails either side) apart, it's a good model.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

When you have an excellent modeller like Tony Wright behind the research, you expect more for your money. I feel Heljan let Tony down sadly.

So for me, there's many issues.

1. Chimney
2. Buffers (horrible plastic)
3. Handrails
4. Tender handrails are not the same each side
5. Cab spectacles
6. Overall colour finish (very plastic looking - numerals and lettering anaemic)

If it wasn't priced higher to Hornby's excellent O1 or Bachmann's O4, it'd be considered a good model with potential for modifications to make an excellent one. As it stands it is severely over priced and there are better 2-8-0s out there. Dare I say Hornby's long in the tooth 8F is a better bet as it at least gets the overall shape right!

If you need an O2, then you have to buy it really as it's the only RTR offering. If you like building kits, there are some good ones about.

For my money, I'm doing an unusual thing which is waiting for it to hit the bargain bin for some modelling. I've got a Thompson O4/8 to finish first so I'm not massively bothered about the O2.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

There are 19 pages here
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... 8-0/page-1

Most are not saying how wonderful this Loco is !!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Graham Wareham put a lot of time and effort into getting this loco produced RTR too, and given the variably justifiable amount of stick that the model has been getting, he could be forgiven for wishing that he hadn't bothered to try to help us all out. The faults and quirks of construction in the model are irritating, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that some of the problems have been created or aggravated by trying to make the model suitable for those who want to run it on wholly unrealistic track and/or install gimmicky electronics. It is still an asset compared to either no RTR option at all, or a slap in the face.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Given the constructional complexity, this is very definitely a model to test immediately on receipt for all operational requirements and DCC installation if that's on the agenda; and bowling it straight back for refund or replacement if in any way below standard. I would consider myself confident and competent in mucking about with model railway mechanisms, but this one has 'only in case of necessity' written all over it. That's the major downside in my book; also the lack of confidence engendered by the Hattons commissioned BG has spilled over onto the O2 somewhat, without that I doubt there would have been much concern over the mechanism construction.

One can only write from the known evidence, mine is that my own and three others that I know of are all good, and since both I and the two other friends with these models all operate them regularly, they have all been getting a work out over the past year. Much liked for all of their looks, especially once 'grubbied up' in classic freight loco style, the excellent traction and a smooth drive from a dead slow crawl up to a realistic maximum.

S.A.C. Martin wrote:...Dare I say Hornby's long in the tooth 8F is a better bet as it at least gets the overall shape right!...
You shouldn't, it's nothing like an O2!

And considered as a model of the Stanier 8F it is seriously flawed: there's a large scale absence of daylight under the boiler, a socking great spinning rod end on view which I am pretty certain none of the class displayed, the pony truck is a vile thing mechanically and for appearance, the tender frames are an inaccurate pastiche of the prototype arrangement, and it is tractively pretty hopeless. (If the new Duchess goes over big time, I expect Hornby to briskly get on with a revison of the 8F to bring it up to the standard of their O1. This because the 8F will look very threadbare against what the generally similar Stanier 2-6-0 shortly to appear from Bachmann promises.)
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Graham Wareham put a lot of time and effort into getting this loco produced RTR too, and given the variably justifiable amount of stick that the model has been getting, he could be forgiven for wishing that he hadn't bothered to try to help us all out.
The stick isn't aimed at Graham, who I am sure did a sterling job, but the fact of the matter is that the O2 isn't as good as a number of ones priced lower in the same marketplace. No doubt it makes an excellent model after doing some modelling, which was my point earlier.
The faults and quirks of construction in the model are irritating, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that some of the problems have been created or aggravated by trying to make the model suitable for those who want to run it on wholly unrealistic track and/or install gimmicky electronics. It is still an asset compared to either no RTR option at all, or a slap in the face.....
I agree to an extent - but the price point for what is a much more flawed model than the Thompson O1 or Robinson O4 models is questionable.

At the end of the day we're all becoming more cautious buyers given the rising costs. If something's not right, it's not right. Spade a spade and all that. People can be informed and make their own minds up. For my money, I won't buy until the prices go down a bit more, whereas I was happy to buy the B12/3 at full price. That's the value for money side of things.
lee_clarke
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by lee_clarke »

Good Evening all
I sit on the fence really with this model, having been 'bitten' by a couple of Heljan locos previously, I was never going to pay £160-£170 for one.
However, having seen several running on Tony Wright's Little Bytham, and running very well I should add, I did acquire one for just under a hundred quid.
I acknowledge any detail errors, but for me, it's not bad at that price. If it carries on running OK, I can live with it.
I do know that a lot of returned/faulty models were easy fixes, such as damaged valve gear where they had been mis-handled. By Heljan or end user I couldn't say though.
The one thing I would say, and I relate this to being in a company where we manufacture and sell machines, is that you tend to only hear about the ones that go wrong, we hardly ever hear from customers when the kit is running fine.
That last paragraph is obviously just my opinion in 'general' terms, not to model railways, Heljan or any other manufacturer.
I do wish that Heljan could get their quality control correct though, Claytons, Garratts and O2's, it's not good enough on the whole.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

lee_clarke wrote:...I do wish that Heljan could get their quality control correct though, Claytons, Garratts and O2's, it's not good enough on the whole.
Having been in a similar line of business, I fully confirm the typical experience of 'only hearing when there is bad news' piece.

In the interests of balance:
Seven Heljan BoBo mechanisms on my layout, all truly RTR straight from the box - and actually more than that, as smooth and quiet as anyone could reasonably desire with ample haulage capacity - and of good appearance and finish (2x15, 16, 2x23, 26/0, 128);
A goodly number of other diesels owned by friends, in addition to the classes already mentioned 26s, 33s, 35s, 47s in quantity, 52s, Kestrel, Falcon, Lion, DP2, all solidly good performers, owners well satisfied;
An O2/3 which small detail errors apart is otherwise all it should be, and the best OO RTR eight coupled freighter available for haulage power;
A further five steamers, 2xBG, 3xO2, on friend's layouts, all absolutely fine and run well.

Quite literally not had any trouble, let alone a failure. I didn't buy the 47 for myself because of the overwidth appearance, but I could point at the two major OO RTR manufacturers as each having products suited to my modelling interest, and also not purchased due to similar visually obvious errors, so on par there.