Rolling stock kits.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

JohnV
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Rolling stock kits.

Post by JohnV »

Any recommendations for plastic (00) kits along the lines of Ian Kirk kits? I'm aware that there are problems with the IK kits.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rolling stock kits.

Post by 65447 »

First you need to be clear about what your perceived problems with Ian's kits are, as that may provide a clue as to your preferences for materials, levels of detail and complexity of assembly. On the other hand you may be referring to the lack of present day supply except typically via on-line auction sites.

Those kits were amongst the first moulded polystyrene railway wagon kits that were not produced by Airfix and their comparative age will obviously show. The examples tended to be restricted to location too; not surprising with Ian residing in a town served by the former North British Railway.

'Plastic kits' are by far the most common and easy to work, modify, cut and carve and so on.

The former Airfix range of freight rolling stock is still available and now produced by Dapol, Parkside Dundas has an extensive range and were taught by Ian Kirk, Ratio does a selection of wagons and coaches and comes under the Peco banner, Cambrian is another source of freight stock with a predilection for Engineers' stock, the former Slater's/Coopercraft ranges' availability is questionable to say the least but shops and second hand sources may provide, and there are several smaller outfits, typically one-person, that also produce kits.

Sources of kits for passenger coaching stock are rarer, apart from Ratio mentioned above the former Kirk and Mailcoach kits now owned by Coopercraft are really only available on the second hand market and highly sought after. Dapol produces a number of models in a 'ready to assemble' form, but the price difference is not that great when you considered that the finished product is assembled and full painted.

There are various providers of etched and cast kits, again mostly one-person outfits and you'll need to state what exactly you are looking for before a meaningful list can be supplied. A good starting place is Andrew Hartshorne's Wizard Models on-line shop, including bought in ranges such as Bill Bedford, Chowbent and Comet: http://www.wizardmodels.co.uk/FrameSetS ... M=wizabout

A trawl through the modelling section on this forum will bring out plenty of examples of what's available and from whom.
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

65447 wrote:First you need to be clear about what your perceived problems with Ian's kits are, as that may provide a clue as to your preferences for materials,
More than happy to be corrected but could the OP actually mean the supply of Kirk kits from Coppercraft rather than quality.
JohnV
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by JohnV »

Thank you 65447 for that very comprehensive reply. Re: Kirk kits, I did mean the problems of supply rather than quality. I've used them before and have been satisfied with them.
Cheers.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Dave S wrote:
65447 wrote:First you need to be clear about what your perceived problems with Ian's kits are, as that may provide a clue as to your preferences for materials,
More than happy to be corrected but could the OP actually mean the supply of Kirk kits from Coppercraft rather than quality.
You should be corrected as the paragraph that I wrote, IN FULL, reads:
65447 wrote:First you need to be clear about what your perceived problems with Ian's kits are, as that may provide a clue as to your preferences for materials, levels of detail and complexity of assembly. On the other hand you may be referring to the lack of present day supply except typically via on-line auction sites.
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

65447 wrote:
Dave S wrote:
You should be corrected as the paragraph that I wrote, IN FULL, reads:
65447 wrote:First you need to be clear about what your perceived problems with Ian's kits are, as that may provide a clue as to your preferences for materials, levels of detail and complexity of assembly. On the other hand you may be referring to the lack of present day supply except typically via on-line auction sites.
Fair enough I stand corrected, I was skim reading as it's a working day for me.

I won't bother again until I've more time to idle at the keyboard.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

There are plenty of 'present day available' plastic kits to meet a variety of rolling stock needs. Parkside Dundas do a selection of wagon kits, as do the old Ratio range. Speaking of which, the Ratio range of coaches are now available for those of us who wish to purchase and turn them into prototypes other than the LMS-constituents that they are based upon.

As for the old Ian Kirk/Mailcoach/Coopercraft kits - they are allegedly going to be at the Nottingham Model Railway Show in March, and should have a suitable selection of models for people to buy, but do not expect the full range to be on show as the website is still claiming problems with their injection moulding machine.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.