A4 in Apple Green

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

f4kphantom
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

A4 in Apple Green

Post by f4kphantom »

After having just finished two smaller locos in n gauge, a J26 and G5, I have started something a bit larger. As a bit of a challenge I have started an A4, 4482 Golden Eagle, which will be in its 1936 colour of Apple Green. Would I be correct in assuming that the shade would be Doncaster Green? That's before I have the treat of lining the thing! Should help to pass a little time over Christmas.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

OK, here's an interestinf fact that'll get all sorts of folks here in a real flap.

Did you know that a Ripon firm supplied standard green paint to all the LNER's works? So for an LNER loco Darlington Green only applies to the green cylinder covers.

Pre-group the NER painted its engines a lighter green than the GNR and this is a real modeller's hobby horse. In LNER days, there's no difference. Pheonix Precision LNER green will do nicely.
f4kphantom
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by f4kphantom »

Thanks for the informative reply. I went ahead and painted the loco in Doncaster Green, lined it out and added valances with a single chimney. All of the handrails have been replaced with seperate ones. The devil is that it will not fit a minitrix A4 chassis but it will fit a Scotsman chassis which saves painting the wheels but further mods are required.
As an aside, a farish Silver Fox went for £90 this week in BR Blue, slightly expensive!!