Creating Robinson 8 coupled locos from the Bachmann O4

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Creating Robinson 8 coupled locos from the Bachmann O4

Post by Nova »

could the Bachmann 04 be used to create the likes of the S1, Q1 and Q4? better yet has anyone tinkered with the bachmann model to produce any of the above?

if that is the case it would make things a lot easier for future projects (I could even have multiple bodyshells sharing one chassis).

if such modifications are possible I'm also somewhat surprised Bachmann HASN'T made the aforementioned locos to share the same chassis
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Creating Robinson 8 coupled locos from the Bachmann O4

Post by Hatfield Shed »

They all share the same funky driven wheelbase dimensions, not a round number among them...

The Q4 looks a real doddle, it's the clear precursor to the O4, just shorter and without the leading truck to take a superheater. Don't forget the O5 (GCR 8M I think), the big boiler 2-8-0, which didn't last long.

Carves into the O4 parts are also readily possible, no point doing the O4/9 (O1) though as Hornby have made it RTR, and rather nice too.

As Bachmann explained some time ago, there is now little saving in developing a different model on a shared mechanism, the costs are nowadays mostly in the body tooling as this has to be all unique new pieces to the currently expected standard, and there's a lot of skilled time in that.
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

Going back a few years (probably more like five!) somebody here tried converting an O4 into a Q4. As I recall, the chassis and motor were about all that could be re-used. The entire body had to built in styrene sheet. Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8378&hilit=Bachmann+Q4

~Addendum~

The same modeller also built a Q1 tank. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6981&hilit=Bachmann+Q1
Nova

Post by Nova »

James Harrison wrote:Going back a few years (probably more like five!) somebody here tried converting an O4 into a Q4. As I recall, the chassis and motor were about all that could be re-used. The entire body had to built in styrene sheet. Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8378&hilit=Bachmann+Q4

~Addendum~

The same modeller also built a Q1 tank. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6981&hilit=Bachmann+Q1
by 'eck, those look great! I'm even more encouraged to give it a go, could even be the subject of a few resin body kits (I call dibs, Atlantic :P )

I wonder if I could hide the motor in the Q1 and possibly the S1 with a box in the cab that wraps around the motor, like the firebox on the FR Double Fairlies. it'll still be a whopping great protrusion in the cab but it'll be less apparent than a motor with bits of wire sticking out
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Although Hornby have produced a (Thompson) O1, an O4/8 is still worthwhile.

I made one a few years ago, using an O4 donor, and a spare Bachmann (or Replica ?) B1 body which was obtainable fairly cheaply.

I think that Mr King had made a similar (and probably better ) conversion a while previously.

Here is a rather poor picture of mine:
DRM_04_08_01.jpg
I have a detailed description of the method if anyone would find it helpful.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Nova wrote:...I wonder if I could hide the motor in the Q1 and possibly the S1 with a box in the cab that wraps around the motor, like the firebox on the FR Double Fairlies. it'll still be a whopping great protrusion in the cab but it'll be less apparent than a motor with bits of wire sticking out
No problem with the S1 as the layout of the boiler relative to the driven wheelbase is almost exactly as the O4. So the concealed drive of the Bachmann model will remain concealed.

On the Q1, rotating the motor mount 180 degrees so it then lies ahead of the driven axle should be possible for relatively little trouble. This might intrude in the airspace that should be visible under the boiler between the access arches in the side tanks; but that would be a lot less intrusive than the motor fully occupying the cab, whether exposed or covered over.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Hatfield Shed wrote: No problem with the S1 as the layout of the boiler relative to the driven wheelbase is almost exactly as the O4. So the concealed drive of the Bachmann model will remain concealed.

On the Q1, rotating the motor mount 180 degrees so it then lies ahead of the driven axle should be possible for relatively little trouble. This might intrude in the airspace that should be visible under the boiler between the access arches in the side tanks; but that would be a lot less intrusive than the motor fully occupying the cab, whether exposed or covered over.
good to know.

I'll probably attempt the S1 first... I'm assuming I could use the boiler and backhead in full and just slap some tanks on the side

I wonder if I could get away with a never-was train of an S1 on a coal drag... :roll:

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Never say never on the steam railway. When those of the originals that were sent from Wath to March on the latter yard opening for business, someone might well have thought of putting them on a working rather than wasting all that lovely traction by sending them light engine. You'd be lucky to find a record though... (Which depending on your attitude, might be enough for you to decide, hey, I'll run it on a slow goods.)

How big are your layout curves? It's quite a wheelbase, and the bogie swing is constricted by some very visible balance pipes between the side and underbunker water tanks.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Hatfield Shed wrote: How big are your layout curves? It's quite a wheelbase, and the bogie swing is constricted by some very visible balance pipes between the side and underbunker water tanks.
I currently don't have a layout, as I'm not entirely in control of when the shed to house said layout will be completed and the parents won't let me partake in any modelling in the house, let alone have a layout. so until then any posts I make asking for details about this and that is purely for future reference, constricted for the time being to being largely an armchair modeler with the occasional project on the go :?

I'm not sure what sort of curves the layout will have but I'm hoping I won't have to stoop to using set track curves on the main line. Taking a blind stab in the dark I'm guessing 2.5 foot radius minimum for mainline curves but it will ideally be able to negotiate 4th radius curves on the club layout

mossie
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by mossie »

James Harrison wrote:Going back a few years (probably more like five!) somebody here tried converting an O4 into a Q4. As I recall, the chassis and motor were about all that could be re-used. The entire body had to built in styrene sheet. Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8378&hilit=Bachmann+Q4

~Addendum~

That would be me. The Q1 Tank came out really well and is a very good runner, as you would expect running on a complete 04 chassis, this is not DCC. It was modified with advice from Mr King of this parish. The Q4 project has stalled as other things have got in the way, i.e. building a layout for them to run on. The boiler and firebox of the Q4 is scratch built, but did manage to re-use the cab with a few mods, one day I will get around to finishing it. Promise.

Regards

Richard
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

As for S1's working full length coal trains, the is a precedence, they used on the New England - Little Barford power station coal trains, as normal tender engines could not be turned at St Neots, crews complained about a long run back to Peterborough tender first so a S1 was tried out, after a couple of months the experiment was abandoned (that would have been in the early 50's)

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Richard i
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Richard i »

Would you be thinking of an original s1 or the gresley extras? Or both? I was going to do an original with Bachman body and chassis with new tanks and back like you suggest. It is down in the queue at present, but if you produce a casting I would take that as the easier route. Watching with interest.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Richard i wrote:Would you be thinking of an original s1 or the gresley extras? Or both? I was going to do an original with Bachman body and chassis with new tanks and back like you suggest. It is down in the queue at present, but if you produce a casting I would take that as the easier route. Watching with interest.
I will probably do both in time, but start with the Robinson original.

It may take a while for anything to end up being produced however for reasons already stated