How to date bachmann when buying second hand?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Percybigun
NER Y7 0-4-0T

How to date bachmann when buying second hand?

Post by Percybigun »

Is there any way of dating bachmanns when buying at train fares etc, so i can avoid the older ones with split chassis, the packaging always looks the same!
With hornbys its much easier because the box liveries changed every few years, and the loco's themselves are easy to date anyway as they evolved, not that i avoid old hornby's cos they usually work fine at any age (except the single wheelers!)
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: How to date bachmann when buying second hand?

Post by Nova »

Percybigun wrote:Is there any way of dating bachmanns when buying at train fares etc, so i can avoid the older ones with split chassis, the packaging always looks the same!
With hornbys its much easier because the box liveries changed every few years, and the loco's themselves are easy to date anyway as they evolved, not that i avoid old hornby's cos they usually work fine at any age (except the single wheelers!)
please understand the following is from my own observation, and may not be 100% correct

one big tell, though it doesn't apply to all, is if the tires are completely metal with plastic spokes, rather than having only partially metal tires.

in addition the box HAS changed, most noticeable is the application of a red stripe and a dull finish to the cardboard

Split chassis-era packaging

modern era packaging
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Percybigun
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Percybigun »

Thats great thanks :)
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

How do you date a bachmann...

I was tempted to say 'pay it a compliment and buy it a drink'

:lol:
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Percybigun wrote: ...so i can avoid the older ones with split chassis...
All you need to remember is A4, B1, J39, J72, V1, V2, V3. Those are the only LNER loco classes that Bachmann have made with split chassis, and the J72 still has not received a replacement mechanism so you can ignore that one! The others need to be closely checked for the key identifying features as already described.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Dave S wrote:How do you date a bachmann...

I was tempted to say 'pay it a compliment and buy it a drink'

:lol:
I had a similar thought.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hatfield Shed wrote:
Percybigun wrote: ...so i can avoid the older ones with split chassis...
All you need to remember is A4, B1, J39, J72, V1, V2, V3. Those are the only LNER loco classes that Bachmann have made with split chassis, and the J72 still has not received a replacement mechanism so you can ignore that one! The others need to be closely checked for the key identifying features as already described.

J39 has never had a replacement chassis yet either .