J35/J37

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

J35/J37

Post by Tom F »

Good morning

I don't believe a J37 4mm kit is readily available anymore. I was wondering, can a DJH kit of a J35 be easily converted into a J37?

Cheers
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: J35/J37

Post by 62716 »

Just a thought before you start going down that route - have you contacted Norman Blackburn to see if he can point you in the direction of any remaining kits.

http://www.nbmodels.co.uk/about.html

Cheers
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I should have thought this will be the best starting point, since the desired loco was developed from the J35. Unless you are planning a 'complete accuracy' job, raising the boiler centreline 2mm would be the crucial modification to make it look more like a J37 than a J35. (Brought to you from the home of the impressionist school of modelling.)
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by 62716 »

I have a J37 drawing from Model Railways March 1972 and laid the DJH J35 Boiler Unit and the Footplate onto that drawing with the following results.
The J35 footplate unit is around 8mm too short at the front for a J37.
The J35 footplate unit is around 8mm too short at the front for a J37.
The J35 boiler unit is a better fit, with boiler bands in line with those of the J37, and it is only about 1mm too short - the safety valves are only fractionally out.
The J35 boiler unit is a better fit, with boiler bands in line with those of the J37, and it is only about 1mm too short - the safety valves are only fractionally out.
View of boiler unit in same position but showing it lined up with smokebox.
View of boiler unit in same position but showing it lined up with smokebox.
Same again but showing the small gap in front of the cab.
Same again but showing the small gap in front of the cab.
The J35 cabside etches are around 1mm less than the J37.

Edited to show DJH as opposed to Nucast
Last edited by 62716 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

Apart from the issues mentioned, the pitch on a J37 boiler is 6" higher than on a J35. However, a bigger problem is that the DJH J35 boiler is not round. I spent 3 evenings trying to get it round and then rolled my own in brass. Then you have the problem of the DJH kit supplying valances of 1mm depth, when NBR valances are a very characteristic 1.5mm. The tender has other issues (valance again and no turn-in on the flare at the front), and the chassis is the usual DJH 38 thou thing. I've ended up scratchbuilding most of my J35, with the DJH kit used as a pattern for some (very few) parts.

Incidentally, http://www.brmna.org/xref/locolner.htm lists a J35 drawing. I got the relevant magazine recently and the drawing looks pretty poor, but may be of use for some key dimensions.

So much for the J35. But you know that a J37 kit is sort of available? Phoenix Precision took over the DMR range a couple of years ago and said that they'd have them out last April for York Show. Summer passed with them still working on the instructions, and then by the time Scaleforum came in September they had managed to lose the chimneys. I asked if I could have the kit without the chimney, and they could get the latter to me when they found them. After another couple of months of badgering they sent me the kit, without chimney as agreed, but with a missing smokebox door thrown in for free (but I'd already bought one of these from them at a show and it doesn't look right). Having listened to six months' worth of excuses from them, I haven't had the energy to chase up the chimney, and needless to say, they haven't chased me to get the part to me... I'll probably turn my own. As a result of my finally losing patience with them in the autumn, they must have packed up the kit at the last minute and made some half-hearted attempt at rolling the boiler, which is badly off-round. Otherwise, apart from lack of chimney and suspect smokebox door, the kit is OK. I'm replacing the chassis with one of these: http://www.nbr4mm.co.uk/locochassis/9204.php and will probably use the DMR chassis under the J35, with 0.67mm taken out of the rear wheelbase.

I have the MRN drawing too, and it seems to be accurate - it's certainly well drawn. I plan to contact the NRM tomorrow as I have finally located their NBR drawings (OPC collection: see "Main List" under OPC here: http://www.nrm.org.uk/researchandarchiv ... waycoworks), including a J36, which according to the BRMNA list has never appeared in a magazine.
Last edited by Daddyman on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by 62716 »

Daddyman wrote:
I have the MRN drawing too, and it seems to be accurate - it's certainly well drawn. I plan to contact the NRM tomorrow as I have finally located their NBR drawings (OPC collection: see "Main List" under OPC here: http://www.nrm.org.uk/researchandarchiv ... waycoworks), including a J36, which according to the BRMNA list has never appeared in a magazine.
I don't want to go off topic - but the NBR Study Group do a J36 drawing.

Also thanks for mentioning DJH - made me realise I'd incorrectly written Nucast in my previous post - it had been a long day!
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Morning all

Thanks for the replies.
Just to clarify, I contacted NB Models. Sadly the moulds are worn out so there is no intention to re introduce the kit.
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

62716 wrote:
Daddyman wrote:
I don't want to go off topic - but the NBR Study Group do a J36 drawing.

Also thanks for mentioning DJH - made me realise I'd incorrectly written Nucast in my previous post - it had been a long day!
Thanks!
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Has anyone any idea where NBR 4mm tender axle boxes can be obtained?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

They might know here
http://www.nbr4mm.co.uk/index.php

or whoever makes GEM kits these days.
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

Well, given that Pheonix have been selling the castings (or those that they can find) from their DMR kits at shows for a while now, you might give them a try. I have looked for but not seen axle boxes, but then the last time I saw PP at a show was some months ago - things may have changed.

You could also try PDK, who have started selling some of the cast parts from their kits.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Thanks for the suggestions.
JJC
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by JJC »

Regarding a J37 drawing the National Archives of Scotland may be able to assist
http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrso ... =&dt=&di=y
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

JJC wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 8:28 am Regarding a J37 drawing the National Archives of Scotland may be able to assist
http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrso ... =&dt=&di=y
Very hard to navigate the NAS catalogue, or to identify what the entries refer to. I'd suggest drawing 8606 in the OPC collection at the NRM. It's a very basic pipe-and-rod; the lines are sharp, but it's not a superb quality but hopefully good enough...

For a J37 drawing it's 8602 (ignore the number given in the catalogue, or you'll end up with a J83 drawing, as I found out!). Sharp enough, but a rather poor reproduction - looks like it's been photocopied too many times. I basically just got it to confirm that the MRN drawing is reliable.