GE Wool Wagon

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Quainton Road
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

GE Wool Wagon

Post by Quainton Road »

I have just been given an old Andy Beaton 7mm brass kit of what is described as a "GER Wool Wagon". Just a simple isometric drawing in the kit - no other instructions or historic information.
Lack of instructions is not a problem, it's pretty obvious how it all goes together, and should make a rather interesting and different vehicle.
However, I am looking for help on the history of this type of wagon. What really is/was a Wool Wagon used for? Build dates? Routes? Major customers? Livery in GE period? Numbering?
Wagon is open 2-plank, approx 20' body, approx 23' over buffers, 12' wheelbase.
Any info most useful, will post a photo when completed.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

If you don't get any replies, I'll see what Peter Tatlow has to say. I'm pretty sure there is a photo in Vol 1 of his new book.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I have Vol.1 here (they're great books aren't they?).

Can't see any pictures or description, but in the table at the back:

GE Diagram 12200 (no LNER code)
Load: 10 tons, Iron Underframe, 25ft 7in long.
GA Diagram No: 5514.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

These models are still produced. And in one of those wonderful moments when a google search actually brings you EXACTLY what you want- the chap has the full instructions/colour images of the model on his website!

http://www.ragstonemodels.co.uk/

Sounds like an interesting protoype, I find it quite cool that the wool trade was still deemed important even in the late C19th enough to get its own wagon- and a very modern looking design it looks like to for the late C19th. I look forward to seeing her finished up, especially if you load her up to the loading gauge with 'wool' and find a GE tarp for her.

Will

edit: POWsides do a wagon decal pack for the GE, although the letters may be slightly too big for a 2-plank wagon. Might be worth checking before you buy.
Quainton Road
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

GE Wool Wagon

Post by Quainton Road »

:D

There is a Father Christmas! What a surprise - I thought this would be really difficult to track down; my Googling brought up nothing useful.

Well this is definitely it. From the etch layout it's the same kit, but with instructions, history and all what's missing in the Andy Beaton version.

At the moment I have just started the build - bent up a few components and trimmed and cleaned the castings - no excuses now for getting stuck in.

Superb info - thank you - watch this space for pix.