Anyone interested in NER P4 10.5 Ton Hoppers in 7mm/O gauge?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Anyone interested in NER P4 10.5 Ton Hoppers in 7mm/O gauge?

Post by richard »

I've been able to identify some of the wagons on the Aberford Railway as NER Diagram P4 10.5 ton (5 plank slope-sided) hoppers. These are similar to the more famous 20 ton slope sided wooden hoppers, but they're lower and shorter, and have curved ends.

No one makes a kit for these in 7mm/O at the moment. ABS Models have a master but it sounds like they are reluctant to move forward with producing a kit. I have emailed Keykits (close supplier of ABS) but have not yet heard back.

I've also been talking to Stephen Barnfield on the 7mm listserver. He's interested in getting a couple of dozen and is on the verge of giving up on ABS, and making some with Barry Norman.

Is anyone else interested?
If there's enough interest, we might be able to convince ABS to make the kit. If Stephen and Barry move forward, then increased numbers would help to reduce unit costs.

I've attached a drawing of one of the P4 variants. Like most wagons there were various minor variations and repairs. This might mean a sub-variant may not appeal to everyone, but for me the proportions, slope sides, and rounded ends are what matter.

These hoppers can be found in Tatlow Vol. 2 on pp 49/50. Construction & stock is listed on pp53.

They were built between 1892 and 1915. 13,313 survived into LNER ownership, but only 414 survived into BR ownership.

Richard
Attachments
NER Hopper.jpg
Drawing of the P4, courtesy of Stephen Barnfield.
(512.29 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I should add: I've deliberately not included Stephen's email because it would attract spam. If people are interested, let me know, and I will forward your details to Stephen.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia