Rails/Rapido LNER Dyno Car to be made !!

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Rails/Rapido LNER Dyno Car to be made !!

Post by MikeTrice »

adrianbs wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:43 pm Unless you wish to run the coach after 1948, it was lined, but then you have to alter the lettering considerably to represent the BR style. Perhaps someone will show us what that was like ( How about it Mike ??) and maybe an enterprising transfer manufacturer will produce suitable replacement lettering and numbering.
Best I can do. I have assumed the lettering is cream and this is only an approximation of the BR style lettering.
BR Lettering.jpg
Info taken from official photo 1234-D
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Folks I have not seen a good picture of the DC post 1948 but Mike, whilst photoshopping the lettering, you could have altered the roof to a sort of pinky grey brown and made the recording wheel dark something ?. I presume the bogie wheels in BR days were black all over as they are in the NRM although whether BR went to the trouble of white rims I am not sure. The rims were certainly not white in the 1948 exchanges nor 1938 and the official photo in NER days does not have a white roof, indeed I have seen no pictures of the DC with a white roof. I think the current colour may well be that which it had almost all it's life. The plain metal wheels on the sample may not be what is produced but they would be rather a let down if they were like that. Being a rather up-market coach I suspect the wheel centres would have been teak painted at least in 1938 and possibly in '48. I presume there must be some colour pictures of the exchanges but I have not found any on the net. The final appearance of the models seems to have been left to someone with artistic talents rather than making much attempt at authenticity. It is a bit of a cheek to charge £125 for a coach which needs partial repainting and all the lining added, it may be pretty but it is not accurate.
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Folks A ? for Mike Why is the obscured window where it is on both model AND prototype. That does not seem to be where the toilet is, that seems to be where the small 2 part window is positioned.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

The large windows are fitted with blinds to stop the sun reflecting too much on the instruments. The model represents one of the windows with the blind down however it looks as if this has been achieved by painting the back of the glazing. The toilet window by coincidence has been modelled clear to match the preserved vehicle. It was left clear on the prototype so the public could look in on the loo. It was obscurred glass prior to preservation.

P.S. The Hoather photos show that that blind was down for the speed run.

**** Edit: See revised answer below ****
Last edited by MikeTrice on Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Folks Thanks Mike, I suspected as much and was aware that the actual toilet window should be obscured. I assume therefore that it is unlikely the very same blind would have been down on the 1948 run although unfortunately the sample shown to date does have it obscured. I checked the early NER period picture and the blind was not down on that either. Since it is presumably a print or no print option at the tampo stage there is no reason why the window could not be clear for 1948 although I cannot find many suitable pictures. The model date is not specific like the record run so there may be many different options in the later period. I do hope it is not a tooling effect as that would be difficult to remedy and would require a replacement window.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Can I revise my answer above? I suspect for this window alone it is not a blind down as immediately behind it a stove/boiler was fitted and it is probably some form of protection for the glass. All but the earliest official photos show the window protected as do photos taken during the exchange trials. Again I must assume that the glazing is clear on the preserved vehicle to allow punters to see inside.
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Mike Ah! I wondered what the unit was so perhaps it might have been a metal panel or something similar. At least that means it was there permanently in later years, which is one less error to worry about for the "Rivet counters" among us.
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Folks Clearly those that now have their production Dynamometer Cars are at least as complacent as I predicted being apparently perfectly happy with a very expensive coach with faults that in normal circumstances would have required an immediate refund or replacement with a correct model. Just imagine the outcry had this been a cheap Oxford rail Mk3 with a white roof and one of the lining colours missing. The modellers there are already up in arms about the slightly off shade of white on the lower sides. It does show very sadly how yet again that manufacturers can get away with the most ridiculously faulty models and indicates very clearly the downward spiral that RTR models are in when it comes to accuracy, either of detail or livery. No doubt the model will receive lavish praise in the model press without a single anomaly being even mentioned, let alone criticised. I wonder if anyone will attempt an upgrade and just how good that would be.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Well after Lining gate, Roof Colour Gate and Teak Dot finish Gate and any other criticisms levelled at the Dyno Car, mine has arrived today.

First look at the Coach or is it a Car?, for all the alleged "faults" it is a thing of total beauty. I made the 4mm D&S version on commission a couple of years, ago and this version is simply light years ahead of that version in quality and the amount of detail included.

No windows on mine are obscured, other than a White finish to the Toilet window. Teak finish, is very well applied and no dots can be seen as one some of the preview photos seen already.

Shame about the lining yes or no saga , I believe its wrong and it should have lining, but it not a major problem to me at least, now I have seen one.

r.t.r standards slipping ?? Sorry not on seeing this, it is simply beautiful.

If anyone is hesitating about buying one, I suggest they get in quick.
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Mick B That's not the toilet window that is obscured, take a look through the one to the right, do you see a toilet ?? that should also be obscured. See previous posts by Mike Trice, it's just another little error if you can see the toilet. Wish I was certain what colour the wheels should be, certainly not unpainted metal but were they brown in 1938 and black in 1948 ?? That's only a guess however.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

adrianbs wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:03 pm Hi Mick B That's not the toilet window that is obscured, take a look through the one to the right, do you see a toilet ?? that should also be obscured. See previous posts by Mike Trice, it's just another little error if you can see the toilet. Wish I was certain what colour the wheels should be, certainly not unpainted metal but were they brown in 1938 and black in 1948 ?? That's only a guess however.
Thanks for that, was Toilet Window White or obscure ? I never realised which window Mike was referring too.

Wheels ,every other Coach Wheel in pre war LNER days were Brown as far as I know. No idea post war, probably the same on the Dyno Car at least, it had sat unused/storage from late 1938 till the Loco trials in 1948, so I doubt the paint had deteriorated very much.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Lighting photos . Wand is bit gimmicky, the lighting could have simply been left on always, when the Coach is on live track, as on the current Hornby Pullmans.

fullsizeoutput_17d2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_17d1.jpeg
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

mick b wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:41 pm Thanks for that, was Toilet Window White or obscure ? I never realised which window Mike was referring too.
Does this help?
dynamometer - toilet.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks Mike.

At the moment , do I risk devaluing it, by adding a light spray of matt varnish onto the Loo window ?

What do think about the wheel colour Mike ?
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

I would use dirty gunge. There is certainly no evidence of white painted rims in 1938. If the wheels were originally teak paint centred it is well weathered.

I think it unlikely that any of the bogies/wheels would have been painted since the Gresley bogies were fitted in 1928.