Rails/Rapido LNER Dyno Car to be made !!

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Rails/Rapido LNER Dyno Car to be made !!

Post by MikeTrice »

Thanks. That word was hard to read so was my best guess.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

MikeTrice wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:04 pm Regarding the statement "OFFICIAL DETAILS of the primrose and red lining to be used in 1938", no the tender did not mention colours just that they were lined.
I stand corrected. One of the tenders does mention primrose and red for the lining, the other has it crossed out. All very confusing.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Just to take this discussion in a different direction, the question was asked about the stock used on Papyrus' record breaking run in 1935. Mike Trice came up with an excellent photo which was sufficiently clear to show that the roof vents on the Dynamometer Car looked darker than the roof colour.

John Smart has come up with a couple of further photos showing ordinary stock outshopped from York and apparently with black roof vents.

Does anyone have any further knowledge/comment?
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

MikeTrice wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:28 pm
MikeTrice wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:04 pm Regarding the statement "OFFICIAL DETAILS of the primrose and red lining to be used in 1938", no the tender did not mention colours just that they were lined.
I stand corrected. One of the tenders does mention primrose and red for the lining, the other has it crossed out. All very confusing.
There is a close-up photo of 44351/2 in the original edition of Gresley's Coaches which shows the these were not lined, but were given stimulated panels and beading.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Folks I wonder if Bill Bedford realises just how misleading his last post might be. Had he done a few minutes extra research he would have discovered pictures of the same series of twin sets built in 1935 on page 80 of Harris 1 and also on pages 42-44 in Campling Vol. 1 which clearly show full lining, The poor reproduction in Harris only just shows the end "Arrows" of the vertical lining but they are unmistakeable in the other pictures, one of which is an "in service"set in 1938. Bill's reference which shows a close-up "Official" could well have been taken to show the simulated panels and beading before it was "sTimulated" with primrose and red lining. The other pictures are of the following diagrams to that shown by Bill but are in the same group of designs and it seems most unlikely that the LNER would have made up sets of these with some lined and some unlined coaches. These coaches would no doubt have survived all or most of the war with lining due to the exigencies of the times and might well in a few cases have made it into BR.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Gentlemen, before it is pistols at dawn you are not comparing like for like. The image Bill is referring to is for an articulated non-vestibule twin which Harris confirms were devoid of any lining but still featured simulated panelling. The vehicles Adrian is referring to on page 80 are vestibule twins which as stated are lined.
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Folks My humble apologies for my incorrect assumption based on the following quote earlier in this forum :-
"I don't know why you should think this coach was lined after 1928. Only those coaches that were to be used in express passenger service were slated to be lined. Not suburban stock nor stock used on secondary services. I have not seen any evidence that any of the engineer's saloons were lined, and even the director's saloon was finished unlined."
I had rather assumed the Gangwayed artics sets were secondary services stock and assumed they were not supposed to be fully lined either. I still find it odd that the LNER went to the trouble of fake mouldings but no lining especially as much of the stock that had been built before 1928 was still in service fully lined. Once again I'm very sorry !!
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Please can this topic be locked?
Steve
Bunkerbarge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Bunkerbarge »

Atso wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:53 pm Please can this topic be locked?
Agreed, It does seem to have lost its way and become a bit of a soapbox.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Agreed.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Done.

(I think the other mods can also lock topics - it isn't something we have to do very often)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia