Rails/Rapido LNER Dyno Car to be made !!

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Rails/Rapido LNER Dyno Car to be made !!

Post by 2392 »

Dave S wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:09 pm
adrianbs wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:58 pm Guess what date this is !!
The Chinese year of the cigarette?
Or the fag end of the grouping era..... :roll: Now where did I put my hat and coat :oops: .
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

adrianbs wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:58 pm Guess what date this is !!
..and your point?
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Folks My point is - Is the Dyno car lined or unlined in this picture ??
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

I would hazard a guess that it is 3rd July 1938?

If its lined then the lining appears to be very inconsistent.

Andrew
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Light reflection through all the smoke . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Have you tried putting your ciggy down then, mick b, :?: you know they are bad for your eyesight. :lol:
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Perth Locomotive Shed, 1948
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Folks The expert speaks !! and all we need to know now is lined or unlined, what are the LNER Specification for the colours of Faux Teak and if the roof was reddish brown under the weathering as it is in preservation.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Some details from a couple of Tenders from 1938. Interesting that both mention the non vestibule vehicles should be lined:
Tender1.jpg
Tender 2.jpg
Tender3.jpg
tender 4.jpg
Bunkerbarge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Bunkerbarge »

I actually first came to this forum to learn a bit more about the Dynamometer Car before I purchased one. I must admit to then following this thread with particular interest as it obviously contained a lot of useful information from some very knowledgeable people.

I have to admit to now being a bit surprised to see that such knowledgeable people are putting forth what appears to be very circumstantial evidence at best to support some disturbingly aggressive opinions as regards a particular model supplier as well as seeming to regularly call into question the intelligence of anyone who would be prepared to buy such an item. Despite me asking just what evidence there was available some time ago it has taken until now to see a photograph of very questionable value as regards proving the lining has been applied and this is now supported by a ten year old document that quotes what should be applied to similar coaches and tenders. If this is sufficient evidence for some to conclude that the car was lined at this time then I am more than happy to respect their opinion and let them believe that. I choose to remain open minded for now and happy to accept anyone's opinion of what evidence we have.

If however I was to embark on a very unpleasant and aggressive tirade on the integrity of a vendor as I have seen on this thread I would certainly be looking to be able to support my case with significantly more definitive proof than has been submitted so far. I certainly do not think that "Beyond reasonable doubt" has been achieved.

I do believe at the end of the day that the Dynamometer Car was very much an individual vehicle and, as such, I do believe it would be safe to assume, that the finish of this vehicle could well have followed an individual scheme that may well never have followed the 'norm'.

For now I am happy to remain open minded. I have no intention of wasting any time trying to persuade others just who is right and who is wrong as I am convinced that we will probably never be able to. Meanwhile however while I can accept reading on a daily basis the enthusiastic drive to persuade me of something I have no intention of accepting until proven otherwise I do strongly object to having my intelligence questioned by someone who does not know me and who has never met me simply because I have purchased a specific item.

Meanwhile I would like to thank Mike for taking the time to research and scan the previous document as I think it is a very interesting read and an insight into a company we are all keen to know as much about as possible. Whether that constitutes proof of the existence of lining on the Dynamometer Car ten years later I think we can only make our own minds up.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

The document was put up following Adrian's request for the "LNER Specification for the colours of Faux Teak".

The following partial image has not been uploaded to this discussion to date so I will add it now. It was taken in 1938 when coupled to Mallard for its speed trial. People can draw their own conclusions:
hoather_dynamometer detail s.jpg
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Bunkerbarge wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:35 am Meanwhile I would like to thank Mike for taking the time to research and scan the previous document as I think it is a very interesting read and an insight into a company we are all keen to know as much about as possible. Whether that constitutes proof of the existence of lining on the Dynamometer Car ten years later I think we can only make our own minds up.
Following the speed trial the Dynamometer Car was put into storage until the Locomotive Exchanges of 1948. For a change in the state of lining it would have had to have been repainted which I don't believe took place until it took on BR identity post 1948.

There is also this photo taken during the trials in 1948. Again feel free to make your own judgement call:
exchange - extract.jpg
Bunkerbarge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Bunkerbarge »

Many thanks again Mike for your input.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

There is an earlier thread on the Dynamometer Car here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9331 which might be a good place for any further discussions around the prototype (and not the Rails/Rapido model) rather than needlessly extend this thread.

One of the photos in that earlier thread is my imagining of what the prototype should look like lined and with the lettering corrected to match the pre-restoration form:
Adjusted and Lined.jpg
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Mike, thank you for your photographs and the documents.

That makes my mind up - the unlined version is correct for at least 1938 onwards. The 1938 document states what should happen - as we know from 1939 onwards the LNER changed substantially its internal processes and particularly where repainting/servicing of rolling stock was concerned.

I am satisfied that the rails model is correct.

Best wishes.