Hornby B1 models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Hornby B1 models

Post by RayS »

I decided to replace 3 Replica/Bachmann models which all had developed a waddle caused by the bulging wheel centres.

R3000 Harold Mitchell ran and still runs perfectly. R3338 arrived this morning and wobbles as badly as the Bachmann Impala it is to replace. Worse forward running, and sounds as though something is binding - a rod too tight or a fault in the quartering?

Anybody had similar problems with the Hornby version?
Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Hornby B1 models

Post by Mersey508138 »

Hi Ray

I havea hornby P2 chassis which is being use on 1 of my projects but although its wheels don't wobble, it does however look like a dogs hind leg when it runs backwards because it looks like its trying to derail at the cab end of the chassis.

I think part of the problem lately is that the wheels don't have a thick boss in the centre to in a sense push againstthe chassis block and keep the locos running straight. However, as for the wheel wobble you describe, it sounds like the wheels could be from a bad batch of wheels that were produced when your loco was made.

Peters spares may be able to provide you with a new wobble free set of wheels, failing that, the other more difficult option because I have tried it on 1 of my A3s is to try and straighten the wheels out so you eliminate the wobble. I say its the more difficult option because first you have to watch the wheels turning slowly while the loco us on its back, then when you spot which wheel/s have a wobble is to stop them turning, then try and bend them the opposite way ( if thats the right word to use ) ti try and straighten them out.

Ideally when doing this, the wobble is best spotted when the wheels dip to the left or right during each turn, do when you see them dip to the left for example you bend them to the right either with pliers ( gently ) or fingers until they appear parallel with the chassis. Definitely more difficult to do so out of the 2 options if it were me I would just replace the wheels.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I got a Dublo 4MT off a club stall some years ago and had the same problem. Straightening them is not as hard as you may think but it us tedious, especially with Hornby's plastic wheel centres. Take it easy though and just a bit at a time and you should be able to sort it.

The wheels are cheap from Peter's Spares, the service fast and at least the Hornby wheels will be easier to fit.

Just wondering if you may have a set of drivers out of quarter? That was a Sanda Kan Special, expecially after Kaderi took them over completely. If so, a new set of wheels is the best solution.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

My guess it was indeed slightly erratic quartering on the rear drivers, but Hatton's agreed to change it and the new one is completely fine. I still think I will eventually change the two Bachmann and one Replica - all are now running OK but for how long? Will think again when Hornby release Stembok later in the year.
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

I'm going to be looking for a B1, difficult to know which to go for and which to avoid.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

If you buy new releases the choice is simple enough.
Hornby, one of their best products. A model which covers some of the significant variations, accurate, crisply tooled, good mechanism.
Bachmann, dated loco and tender bodies first tooled for Replica, so no variant possibilities, good mechanism. It's a decent economy choice, but ought to be no more than two thirds of the price of the Hornby B1 at retail to reflect its significant inferiority IMO.

Unless you have a particular wish for difficulties, avoid s/h Replica and Bachmann as most (all?) of what is on sale will have the old split chassis mechanism of varying age, unknown condition and running capability, and dubious prospects of longevity. (The Bachmann split chassis for the B1 was one of the less awful examples of the split chassis mechanism design Bachmann employed, and in good condition and carefully maintained can be made to run well until all used up by wear out of the plated surfaces essential for current collection. But why chance it, when there are simpler and better options available?)
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

Thanks HS