Creating a M&GN "Rebuilt D"/J41 from a Bachmann 3F

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Creating a M&GN "Rebuilt D"/J41 from a Bachmann 3F

Post by Nova »

I've been looking over some pictures on the M&GN "Rebuilt Ds" with the aim of converting two or three Bachmann Johnson 3fs to represent the engines that survived into LNER ownership, I'm playing around with history and having them survive as post-1946 numbers 5943 - 5945 and transferred from the M&GN to the fictitious line my layout will be based upon (and totally not because I want an excuse to run a J41 (or three) on my layout :lol: ).

from looking at photos (which can be found on the Mike Morant collection website if anyone else wishes to confer with said photographs) and comparing with the bachmann Model of the 3f to play "spot the difference", they have a rather noticeable extended smokebox with a "closed" saddle, rather than the "lipped" saddle found on the 3F, with #062 having a noticeably shorter smokebox and slightly different profile on the saddle front than #071 (which I assume the more standard smokebox and saddle of the two judging by photos of other M&GN locos).

Other than the above mentioned smokebox they seem to be largely the same other than a few really detail differences that I'd struggle to replicate in 4mm scale with my current skill level.

if anyone has any input or suggestions on the matter it would be much apreciated
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Creating a M&GN "Rebuilt D"/J41 from a Bachmann 3F

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I've never made myself familiar with the Bachmann 3F, but years ago I turned an otherwise useless Triang 3F into a J41 with the aid of some plasticard, blades, files, liquid poly, Romford wheels, a George Norton (now London Road Models) Johnson tender kit, a few detailing parts and a paint job.
Dead scale it isn't, but there aren't many other J41 models around to make it look inadequate! I presume you can get a lot closer to the true appearance and dimensions if starting from the Bachmann model.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

Try the M&GN Circle and there are various books.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:32 am I presume you can get a lot closer to the true appearance and dimensions if starting from the Bachmann model.
that is my assumption. from what I have read through a brief look online at various forums the MR/LMS "Standard" 0-6-0s from 1f to 4f all share the same (or very similar) wheelbases and wheel diameters and the boilers are at a glance almost identical
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947